Why I don't care any more

Discussion about all things related to Chaos Reborn
Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:05 am

  • Yogicfire wrote:
    Funny that you should mention Football Manager.. I am playing FM 2017 right now as Dortmund and having a great time! Aubemeyang is fantastic..! He is scoring a lot of goals. I mention FM 2017 because it is a classic example of a game near perfection but lacking in a few areas. You only have to go on the forums to see what people are talking about - injuries, stupid press conferences, no way to defend and stop goals when you want to.. These criticisms have been going for for ages but people still play the game.

    You're right, FM gets loads of criticisms, and it does also have a huge, established, player base. I'd suspect that it's a game which attracts a lot of new players however, whilst having attrition amongst its existing player base; I used to buy it every year, but haven't played it now since FM11 because I don't like the direction the game has gone in. I feel personally that it's dumbing things down for the player a lot in terms of team building (you basically just need to play/scout/buy the players with the highest star rating, and you'll eventually win everything), whilst adding more and more aspects of repetitive media management that I just don't enjoy.

    FM also doesn't have any real valid competition within its genre, and this is probably one of its key strengths or factors in having the bulk of the market share. I suspect that when/if a valid rival ever comes along that there will be a sharp swing in player numbers.

    Whereas with turn based strategy there are oodles of games out there, none of which is quite as good as CR IMHO, but players do have a lot more valid alternatives to go to if they feel that this game isn't quite right for them.

    Yogicfire wrote:No game is ever perfect!


    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabaddi :-)
    Image

    SPITE NIGHT 21! - Thursday 22 JUne at 20:00 GMT on the Chaos Reborn discord channel.

    Chief tentacle arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    User avatar
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD
     
    Posts: 5937
    Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:45 pm
    Location: UK

Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:25 am

  • I've not played for a few months now either.

    I'd not played for a while last year then got back into it for a few month and found myself playing everyday again. However after playing ranked and finishing in the medals for a few months I didn't find much satisfaction in it, or at least nothing that was driving me to keep striving for it.

    I've always enjoyed the competitive side of Chaos and for me, at the moment, it doesn't quite deliver. I'd always liked the thought of some kind of long running standings (please no debate about how/if this should manifest in this thread, haha) and believe this would go someway to delivering more satisfying competitive play.

    However It's still a great game and I've certainly had more than my money's worth in terms of fun out of it. I've bought many games since I started playing Chaos and none have even come close to earning the amount of hours I've put in to Chaos. As a first game from a new studio it's been a huge success, it's just a shame that it's probably not quite the game it could've been. But who knows, if Phoenix Point is a huge commercial success there could be plenty more to come for the Chaos universe.
    Chaos Reborn Community/Tournament Website: http://www.lawandchaos.co.uk
    User avatar
    Ped209
     
    Posts: 1621
    Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:40 pm
    Location: UK

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:29 pm

  • Ped209 wrote:But who knows, if Phoenix Point is a huge commercial success there could be plenty more to come for the Chaos universe.


    Yeah, I've been hoping for that possibility too. The two games may well feed each other.
    Image

    SPITE NIGHT 21! - Thursday 22 JUne at 20:00 GMT on the Chaos Reborn discord channel.

    Chief tentacle arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    User avatar
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD
     
    Posts: 5937
    Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:45 pm
    Location: UK

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:32 pm

  • @Ped, is there any chance of setting up a competition or two to run via your lawandchaos website?

    I always felt that it was instrumental in getting people playing, live games in particular.

    Maybe something different to ranked so the two complement each other rather than compete; long term ELO based, a team competiton, and/or 5 and 6 ways maybe?
    Image

    SPITE NIGHT 21! - Thursday 22 JUne at 20:00 GMT on the Chaos Reborn discord channel.

    Chief tentacle arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    User avatar
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD
     
    Posts: 5937
    Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:45 pm
    Location: UK

Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:08 am

  • SpiteAndMalice wrote:@Ped, is there any chance of setting up a competition or two to run via your lawandchaos website?


    sure, I can do, the numbers were starting to dwindle to the point where there wasn't really much of a competition anymore and I didn't want to take people away from the in game matchmaker but at the moment it might bring a few people back to the game so it's worth a shot.
    Chaos Reborn Community/Tournament Website: http://www.lawandchaos.co.uk
    User avatar
    Ped209
     
    Posts: 1621
    Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:40 pm
    Location: UK

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:01 pm

  • Also been away, one question, how can one avoid this useless Law Mode? Is there a way to make sure you always play chaos as it should be? And does that make it impossible to avoid/ally (since you would be in a law game?)
    User avatar
    TrUlster
    GOD
     
    Posts: 53
    Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:49 am

Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:41 am

  • You can choose which mode you want to play duels
    you can choose which mode you want to play ranked
    you can turn off/choose law mode if you want to play a realm
    Ally and invader requests pop up and tell you which mode the game will be in so only click one chaos ones
    R Tape loading error, 0:1
    User avatar
    gary
    DEMIGOD
     
    Posts: 1178
    Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:51 pm

Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:37 am

  • What happens to the game saddens me sincerely. And the thing is, I don't see any alternatives to Chaos Reborn, it is a quite unique experience. I hopped in only because of what is now called Chaos Classic mode. I have almost never played the Equipped mode, I have never played the Law mode, I have never played the Realms. What I loved about the game is the chess-like flavor, that is the tactics, strategy, and a clean start (that is, a match cannot be interfered with by some outside factors like a bodygear and is the same every time you play it).

    I am not sure what exactly happened, but now it is close to impossible to get a pairing in the league game. I can see though why the newcomers could be scared of the game. First of all, the interface is now overwhelming. About a year ago it was relatively simple to start a game search, even though the interface had its flaws like inaccessibility of some menus during the search. Now it took me a while to set up the search, and I still don't understand some of the interface elements. Secondly, as the number of newcomers is small, it could be a rare occasion that a newbie is playing against a newbie. More commonly it would be a newbie vs an experienced player, and the newbie would almost always lose just because he doesn't yet get basic tactics of the game. A rough chess comparison could be letting a newcomer play against a National Master. It doesn't teach you anything, it's just frustrating, even though in the case of Chaos Reborn the community is friendly and amiable.

    What bugs me the most is that the game process itself is almost perfect to me. There are lots of discussable aspects, but, essentially, it is the game I would passionately devote myself to.

    I am thinking about how to bring some friends in the game, still, this forum thread is just depressing. I only wish there were more players to play with.
    kazarey
     
    Posts: 3
    Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:26 pm

Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:13 am

  • kazarey wrote:
    What bugs me the most is that the game process itself is almost perfect to me. There are lots of discussable aspects, but, essentially, it is the game I would passionately devote myself to.

    I am thinking about how to bring some friends in the game, still, this forum thread is just depressing. I only wish there were more players to play with.


    and I would still encourage you to bring your friends in kazarey, because as you say it is a fantastic game, and there is a great community around it, despite the long time players not really playing any more.
    User avatar
    MattyRasker
     
    Posts: 1218
    Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:14 pm

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:04 am

  • Using Duel mode "AI only" option might mitigate alot of that for players....suppose realms mode is supposed to facilitate it to, but allowing some sort of means for beginners to quickly hop into games with something that isn't too imposing (AI), while getting a feel for the game and earning some goodies.

    I personally hadn't had much time myself to do any gaming in general, though chaos is still 1 of my 2 go to games. I think if the realm design tools ever get touched up a bit, i'd probably sneak some time in to mess with those :D. Otherwise I hope that this game manages to secure some kind of audience/brand to keep that chaosy goodness coming!
    anjovi
     
    Posts: 1350
    Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:34 am

PreviousNext


Return to General Discussion




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest