Game Localization

Discussion about all things related to Chaos Reborn
Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:01 am

• I managed to fix my download problems for the beta by "clearing the download cache" in Steam Settings. So now I'm testing what I've translated to spanish so far.

I have a question about line 50 in GameEventMessages.csv.
    Since it just says "it" (more precisely "it,it,it"), that may be a bit hard to translate on its own. In what context will this show up?
    clef

Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:51 pm

• It's for fatalities.
    E.g., "Merlin attacked goblin and killed ..." then the next word is either "it". I think sometimes the sentence has multiple targets, so "merlin attacked goblin, rat, and killed rat ", so "it" isn't used here.
    RafiRomero

Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:24 am

• "it" is a tricky one, because in spanish "it" doesn't go at the end of a sentence.

However I would first need to see how it shows up in-game. Is there a way to "trigger" specific sentences, besides playing the game?

Well anyway I think it will just be a minor detail for now, mixed in with any omissions or clunkiness in my first translation attempt.
    clef

Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:45 pm

• Hi,
    The easiest way for you to trigger stuff like this is by playing an offline game: you can be both wizards, and so it is easy to summon and kill things.
    In this instance, perhaps "it" could be replaced by "the target" or something?
    If it is a problem for lots of translators, the sentence can probably be reworded.
    RafiRomero

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:01 pm

• Viking34 wrote:Is there a deadline, or a preferred time you'd like to have all the finished translations?

The end of next week would be good for the first batch of texts (all of the CSVs, except Localization.csv, which should only go as far as line 686 (DND is trying to put the rest of the file into some reasonable order)).
    CGR
    SNAPSHOT DEV

Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:58 pm

• Question regarding Localization and Realms. Will there be means for Realm Designers to configure their Realms to function in more than one language? Or is it we'll have one language per Realm? (Latter seems simpler to moderate, assuming we recruit moderators for the various new languages.)

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:20 pm

• At the moment (when we release the localized version of the game), it should at the least be possible for anyone to "fansub" any online realm.
    You'll be able to get an XML file that contains all of the realm-text, replace the native language text with a different one, and then make your translated XML available to people (e.g., via this forum). Players would then need to copy these files into the appropriate folder on their PCs, and the game would use the fansubs in place of the original text.
    I'd hope to have a better in-game system in place at some point, but this is what I have right now (the initial focus was on getting the offline realms into a localizable state).

Moderation of translations should be much easier than initial moderation, as you don't need to consider design etc: just need to see if the translation is a decent rendering of the original text (so, you don't even need to play the game for this, just look at the XMLs side-by-side).

I believe the realm design guidelines specify English-only at the moment, but I don't think there is any technical reason for this (but, it's 7PM and I haven't checked:). I don't *imagine* there would be a technical problem with authoring a realm in, e.g., Russian in-game, and then subbing it to English, for example.
    CGR
    SNAPSHOT DEV

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:29 pm

• CGR wrote:I believe the realm design guidelines specify English-only at the moment, but I don't think there is any technical reason for this (but, it's 7PM and I haven't checked:). I don't *imagine* there would be a technical problem with authoring a realm in, e.g., Russian in-game, and then subbing it to English, for example.

Translation volunteers who (a) do good work and (b) are Wizard King+ in social rank would likely make good Realm moderators, especially for Realms created in their primary language(s). A perk would be that translators also could contribute to moderating English language realms, too.

Basically, the only real limit for Realm moderation is that we don't have any moderators with sufficient fluency in non-English languages (at least as far as I am aware).

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:36 pm

• P.S., Please invite qualified translators in the localization to become Realm moderators if they have sufficient social rank.

NoWorries
    GOD

Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:03 am

• Hows the localization going? Been wondering if there might be a chance of other little changes slipping into the update (despite the pretty clear statement that localization was the main focus)
    anjovi

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Information