Game Localization

Discussion about all things related to Chaos Reborn
Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:16 pm

• I'm starting this in order to use it as a place where we could discuss the ongoing translation of the game into other languages and answer all questions related to this.

Cheers
    DND

Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:55 pm

• If this is the right place for it, I'd like to mention I'm having problems getting the "localization testing branch" to install on steam.
    I have lots of text translated to spanish already but cannot test it in game because of this.

I wanted to see if other volunteers are having the same problem, before mailing snapshot about it.

To be more specific: when I "opt-in" into the testing branch on steam, the download begins but is interrupted after the first 30-40 Mb or so. If I tell it to resume, it starts then stops instantly. In this state the game cannot be played. If I opt out again, the game goes back to being playable normally but of course I don't get to use the testing branch.
    clef

Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:38 pm

• Mine took a while to begin, but now it's started, I'm running just fine on the testing branch.
    Could it have just been some temporary oddness with Steam?
    RafiRomero

Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:36 am

• I tried in two separate days and got the same result, but somehow today the download has just crossed the 70mb mark and I think this time it will download completely... so you were right! :mrgreen:

EDIT: Hmmm.. now it runs but I'm getting "this game should be launched from Steam". Any ideas on what may cause that?
    clef

Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:57 am

• Perhaps uninstall and reinstall if you were having problems downloading, maybe something got messed up?
    I've no sensible suggestions, sorry, it downloaded very quickly for me just now on one of my other windows 10 PCs, and is running fine.
    RafiRomero

Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:30 pm

• Different question (although, for the record: No, problems installing here. also: *):
    How do I encode non-ASCII letters (ä,ö,ü,ß in my case) in the csv files? I assumed the game was utf-8 aware and I wouldn't have to do that, but I only see "?"s ingame. Am I missing something?

* You might have mentioned the EN/TN switch that you can only access while not logged in to switch between English and "Translation" ;)
    » Happiness for everybody, free, and no one will go away unsatisfied! «
    Malgardian

Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:03 pm

• Hi,
    Yes, the file format and game is UTF-8.
    CGR should be mailing everyone with some info and tips about editing the CSV files early on Monday.
    Notepad works; I've been told Notepad++ works; Excel works if you're careful with the UTF-8 import and export (see below). I think the plan is to use Google Docs, but this isn't fully tested yet.
    The game should remember your EN/TN switch settings.

"WinMerge" is a good way to check that, when you edit a file, you're only changing the stuff you're intending to and not accidentally modifying the whole file. If you are using WinMerge, I think you need to set the file encoding to 65001 via the "File->File Encoding->Select Codepage for File Loading box (and use same codepage for both left and right)"

For Excel, I imported localization.csv into Excel 2016 via the text import wizard (again, making sure to set the "File Origin" encoding to 65001 Unicode (UTF-8)) I did some work. Then I did "Save As" and specified CSV UTF-8. For Excel, it is important to use the inport wizard, at least the first time around, to make sure you get the text in in the correct format.

If you're testing, I'd recommend you make a small change first, e.g., on the first screen, and check that it is working correctly.

Worst-case, provided *you* can read your CSV file in whatever you're using to modify it, CGR can probably work something out:)
    Please don't re-order the CSV file, however: the game doesn't care about ordering, but retaining the original line-order will make it easier for CGR to work with the file. If you've already re-ordered stuff, that's fine, he can sort it out:)

You can contact CGR "live" via Steam (add him if you need to:):
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/ChaosGoneRogue
    Usually live online from 09:30-14:30 weekdays.
    Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/chaosgonerogue
    Email:
    chaosgonerogue@gmail.com
    Skype messaging (probably):
    codebiscuit@outlook.com
    PM on this forum:
    memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3762
    RafiRomero

Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:31 pm

• Good point. I probably messed the encoding up when I imported the csv file in libreoffice. I will have to check later.

One major inconvenience is the available space for the translations. German is just much wordier than English sometimes ;) So far I could get by by shortening sentences just short of losing their meaning and manual linebreaks. Hopefully I won't get into a situation where those hacks don't work.
    » Happiness for everybody, free, and no one will go away unsatisfied! «
    Malgardian

Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:03 pm

• If it ends up being a big problem, let me know: I can probably make more space for things if you really need it.
    My wife is fluent in German, some delightful compound-words there:)
    CGR
    SNAPSHOT DEV

Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:56 pm

• Is there a deadline, or a preferred time you'd like to have all the finished translations?
    Viking34

Next

Return to General Discussion

Information