Law Mode as the first mode new players see

Discussion about all things related to Chaos Reborn

• well ideally, the challenges would encompass the more nuanced play, but i can see it being tricky to reimplement this stuff before the coming update to better follow this.

I think i agree with at least trying to push law mode as the baby brother mode that it is (honestly, it is heh...) and seeing how things stick from there. Although, it seems to be more of a chicken or egg thing as chaos mode tends to require some sinking in before the game becomes more appreciable, while law mode is sort of the safer bet (though safer can be more boring) Trying to guess which mode would grant the best player retention is a tricky one to predict, as even the players who are vocal about it are quite possibly the vocal minority (the majority having already left with the initial bounce off)

I still feel that hammering in the difference of law/chaos as game systems as much as you can would be mighty useful, as well as having a consensus based subtext to contextualize the 2 modes. It might not look as professional when reading it, but being honest about it and knowing were the community stands with the game might go a ways in indicating were all of the action is at, and get them engaged in the community.

As a side note:
    I'm also interested to see how demi god challenges and guild stuff promotes community activity as this could also be a factor in keeping players beyond the level 12 mark. Being a king is cool, if your into the tough work that is designing realms...but having something that's easy to setup and get folks playing (still pushing for PVE as well as PVP options for these challenges) could really have an impacting impression on people, and give them something to look forward to doing.

Just mentioning this as it is quite possible that we might be giving the law vs chaos thing a little too much attention. Credit to yovargas for pointing that out.
    anjovi

• SpiteAndMalice wrote:It's all about first impressions though, I can see players coming along, seeing Law Mode, and not really seeing anything different within that system to a multitude of other games that are available, it's also not a great implementation of a HP system, and to that end I can imagine a large proportion of them not sticking around.

And I could just as easily see players trying Chaos Mode, seeing a game that feels like it's more luck than skill, and not sticking around. I say that because I was extremely close to being that player myself. I only stuck with it long enough to discover that was wrong because I liked the art and concept so much.

anjovi wrote:I still feel that hammering in the difference of law/chaos as game systems as much as you can would be mighty useful, as well as having a consensus based subtext to contextualize the 2 modes

Again, I think that can only be usefully, meaningfully done with in-game tutorials. Just saying "one's random, one isn't" will mean nothing to new players who have little grasp of what the game is. It'd probably be more confusing than anything else.
    yovargas

• This thread has slightly deviated from the initial point.

The core heart of the game is Chaos Mode, and backers of PP are probably expecting that kind of game, rather than game presented in Law Mode. If Chaos Mode isn't found, then the game stands little chance of appealing to these new, RNG loving players.

Edit - a better tutorial I guess would help with this, but I'm not seeing this happen. Perhaps that initial tutorial, the one with goblins, fight one in Chaos and one in Law. That way, new players will be able to deduce which mode they would prefer.
    MattyRasker

• MattyRasker wrote:Edit - a better tutorial I guess would help with this, but I'm not seeing this happen. Perhaps that initial tutorial, the one with goblins, fight one in Chaos and one in Law. That way, new players will be able to deduce which mode they would prefer.

Yes, this is very much in line with my thoughts.
    yovargas

• Suppose that if their isn't enough time to figure something more robust, what i might go with is:

The pop up from the tutorial that CRG referred to in this thread, except on the title screen and with a global option that sets all game modes to law or chaos as a default based on the decision the player makes. This way once a new player decides which one they want to mess with, that's all they have to worry about whether they join a duel, league game, realm, tutorial for the 1st time.

All the buttons will simply be placed to that mode by default, and the player can then pick and choose.

An "do not show this again" can be ticked off once the player gets a good idea that their is at least 2 modes (chaos and law) and perhaps down the line, if it's still viable, a proper tutorial could be put in place.

Just putting this out there incase the time/resource constraints deem it necessary.
    anjovi

• There will no longer be a default mode, and the user must choose a mode before the tutorial can proceed.
    The option to switch modes will remain present as is currently the case.
    If the user skips the tutorials and goes straight to the duel screen, the same will apply, using the same popup.
    Duel defaults should match the mode chosen via this popup.
    LawOrChaosPopup.PNG
    CGR
    SNAPSHOT DEV

• Might be a good idea to have it default for both screens regardless....or at least having it come into effect if you go to the duel screen and then going to tutorials.

It's just easy information to not digest when first opening a game. Why i keep going to the 'do not show again' idea...

Glad that it's getting implemented though!
    anjovi

• Good idea, as way to get players trying both play modes, I think it could work.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We'd love to embrace you!

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Information