The World Needs Chaos Reborn 2

Discussion about all things related to Chaos Reborn
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:28 am

• I'm seeing hope for this with the new features of guild action and challenges.

I could easily see a well timed/branded/etc. "Chaos Reborn...Reborn" Update.
    You get a nice dynamic for guilds to compete against eachother as well as the other goods i've been seeing and you might just be able to make a 2nd push with the game.
    anjovi

Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:32 am

• The biggest push possible comes with actual attention of gaming press and advertising opportunities through Steam. These don't really happen with updates. Updates primarily get the attention of some people who have wandered off. A release of a sequel or substantial DLC gets press and organic advertising that brings in the most new players.

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:28 am

• there is a chance...I remember seeing other games getting the rockpapershotgun.com treatment when releasing something in the vein of a "2.0 update"

With all of the work already put into chaos, polishing off the rough edges could very well be worth it.

With the plethora of things that have been added since the first wave of release reviews, it could be a pretty big thing.
    anjovi

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:44 am

• To be honest I was always a bigger fan of Lords Of Chaos than Chaos, although I had fun playing both. When law mode was first introduced I was pretty happy, but in retrospect I think it could have been a mistake. It seems to have split the player base somewhat.

In my view it would have been better to keep Chaos Reborn to the RNG format, and then make a Lords of Chaos type sequel. There were so many elements to Lords Of Chaos that are missing in law mode:

-Having creatures being able ride mounts and wield weapons.
    -Making potions with ingredients found on the map.
    -AoE spells like Flood, Magic Fire, and Magic Lightening.
    -Larger maps and longer games.
    -The ability to find weapons on the map.
    - Most importantly for me was the ability to choose your own spells using XP as you went up levels.

Not meaning to come across as disparaging because I enjoy the game, just a few thoughts. I enjoyed LoC so much, I'd quite happily play now. It'd be awesome to multiplayer that online, no more players looking at your turn. :lol:
    cuivenion

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:05 am

• cuivenion wrote:To be honest I was always a bigger fan of Lords Of Chaos than Chaos, although I had fun playing both. When law mode was first introduced I was pretty happy, but in retrospect I think it could have been a mistake. It seems to have split the player base somewhat.

In my view it would have been better to keep Chaos Reborn to the RNG format, and then make a Lords of Chaos type sequel. There were so many elements to Lords Of Chaos that are missing in law mode:

I tend to agree with this, and I think unfortunately there's been a mistake in thinking that people who liked the format of Chaos Battle of Wizards also liked Lords of Chaos.

Whilst there are players about who liked both Spectrum games, there's also players who really liked one, but not so much the other and I think this is probably reflected in the current playerbase of Chaos Reborn.

Chaos Reborn does split the playerbase with it's Law and Chaos modes, it also does it with PvP and Realms, and with Classic and Equipped, and with League and Friendlies... It tries to please everyone and this could have been good if it had gone the whole hog in any direction, but as it stands I think it leaves a lot of people feeling that they wish there was just a little bit more of x, y, or z.

The match timers on PvP tournements then rule out players who can't meet those timers, the low playerbase leads to ineffective filtering of skill levels, and the competition resets lead to new players playing one or two seasons and then leaving the game, because there's nothing else to do.

I can see as a Lords of Chaos fan, that you'd be missing creatures, that can wield mounts and ride weapons (or was it the other way around?) ;-) You're probably also missing the levelling system, more terrain types, and a proper map designer.

For my part as a Chaos Battle of Wizards fan I hoped that on the PvP side there would be:
    - 8 player matches (or larger)
    - A full Chaos Battle of Wizards spell roster (we're being starved in CR)
    - A proper league running over a number of seasons,
    - Cup tournaments and
    - Daily challenges and special events (this is what Duels should of been)
    - More PvP match formats (KOTH, Captre the flag, risk)
    - A battle map designer
    - All equipment being available to all player from day 1 in PvP equipped mode so that battles in that game mode are fair

And whilst I avoid realms at present, I would probably engage with them if the leant more towards Battle of Wizards.

- Realm play in classic mode
    - Realm play in equipped mode with no starting equipment
    - Realm play with larger scale battles i.e. 1v4 or 2v6
    - Realm play without AI reinforcements, and player mercs and villagers being present at the start of battles
    - Fully co-op realm play (being able to join a realm as a team)
    - Competitive realm play (fighting against other players for territory within realms)

From a realm design point of view, I'd engage there with:
    - Stronger realm design tools for both match setup and story telling
    - Less restrictive realm modding

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:48 am

• The realm suggestions sound interesting, and you're right about what I'm missing as a LoC fan. The original Chaos was fab because it was quick, simple and a great laugh and Chaos Reborn does it justice. I just think law mode is not going far enough for us LoC fans, unfortunately. I don't see how it can within the constraints of Chaos Reborn.
    cuivenion

Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:45 am

• Personally all i think they need to scratch that lords of chaos itch is a game based on a modified chaos reborn engine (or whatever you'd call it)

Just change the game system up a bit to reflect the OG lords of chaos like:
    -Bigger Maps with fog of war
    -Interactive elements (buildings, doors, torches, work benches, what have you)
    -A elevation system for flying creatures
    -perhaps a map making feature for user generated content

They could even re use all of the existing creature art (new animations for stuff like flying)

not likely, but it'd be pretty ace! bought this steam game called 'the last warlock' because it's the closest thing to get that lords of chaos vibe.
    anjovi

Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:03 am

• Chaos Reborn 2 in SPACE! Robots, lasers, exotic extraterrestrial creatures!
    In Gary We Trust
    blobka
    DEMIGOD

Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:41 pm

• anjovi wrote:Personally all i think they need to scratch that lords of chaos itch is a game based on a modified chaos reborn engine (or whatever you'd call it)

More likely? I suspect something using the Phoenix Point engine now under development, which will have a more robust strategic interface.

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Information