World Development and Fiction Blog

Discussion about all things related to Chaos Reborn

• AllenStroud wrote:Just to let folks now, the draft version of the first book of the Death of Gods trilogy - Dreams of Chaos was finished on the 25th of January and went to agents.

As of this evening, the working version of The Loremaster's Guide has been uploaded for Julian to read. I still have a few bits to finish and will obviously be going through edits with him, but its nearly ready.

Woo hoo! Hoozah! And, yay!

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

• NoWorries wrote:
    AllenStroud wrote:Just to let folks now, the draft version of the first book of the Death of Gods trilogy - Dreams of Chaos was finished on the 25th of January and went to agents.

As of this evening, the working version of The Loremaster's Guide has been uploaded for Julian to read. I still have a few bits to finish and will obviously be going through edits with him, but its nearly ready.

Woo hoo! Hoozah! And, yay!

Cheers. The Guide is currently at nearly 48,000 words and will be added to before we're releasing it.
    AllenStroud

• Neato :D .
    But the problem is, indeed, it zlots at Vlurxtrznbnaxl.
    TΛPETRVE

• I missed your earlier post on The Loremaster's Guide. Being a bit out of the loop, would you mind explaining a little further about what it actually is? From the blog post, it seems to be a fleshing out of the lore but also a way to allow players to make additions to the official lore themselves. In this manner I assume it's similar in intention to that of the guilds and other social features.
    You also drew comparisons to Elite Dangerous. Unfortunately, not having played the game, "space dredgers, Thargoids and generation ships" did nothing to help my understanding.
    Prudent Viper

• Of course, happy to elaborate.

The Loremaster's Guide is a source book that gives an explanation of the lives of Wizards in Limbo and the Fractured Realms. It tries to cover a selection of pertinent topics - magic, cosmology, theology, politics, and plenty more.

My aim is not just to give you explanations though. I want to help you have ideas and use it as a source for the realms you want to build. There's plenty that' should bring characters and ideas to realms you want to make.

The reference to Thargoids and the like is about things that were hidden in the original Elite game, but referred to in the manual. There's plenty in the Loremaster's Guide that expand the ideas of the game and connect it to the forthcoming novels, the audio stuff and the roleplaying game.
    AllenStroud

• AllenStroud wrote:Of course, happy to elaborate.

The Loremaster's Guide is a source book that gives an explanation of the lives of Wizards in Limbo and the Fractured Realms. It tries to cover a selection of pertinent topics - magic, cosmology, theology, politics, and plenty more.

My aim is not just to give you explanations though. I want to help you have ideas and use it as a source for the realms you want to build. There's plenty that' should bring characters and ideas to realms you want to make.

The reference to Thargoids and the like is about things that were hidden in the original Elite game, but referred to in the manual. There's plenty in the Loremaster's Guide that expand the ideas of the game and connect it to the forthcoming novels, the audio stuff and the roleplaying game.

Cheers for making that clear. Reminds me a little of the various faction codices for tabletop gaming. Good ones worked hard to inspire creativity for players to create their own units/warbands etc. Without spoiling too much, in what way is the guide going to encourage that creativity? I'm guessing the realm stuff will probably go into the possible different motivations for wanting to create a realm, maybe delve deeper to some of the more obscure reasons (as opposed to what I'm assuming is the usual motivation: Tyranny, tyranny, and more tyranny).
    I like that this guide aims to bring all of Chaos' different parts together, which is a hefty challenge of its own by the way. Are you in contact with the audio workshop guys, or will you just be going off of what they've already given us?
    Prudent Viper

• Yes I'm in touch with everyone. Chris Jarvis and I have worked together on previous projects and I brought him in to work on this.

There's a variety of ways in which we're looking to encourage creativity and a roleplaying source book is a good parallel, although there's less systemisation and more narrative. I'm trying to make the whole piece a series of voices from different sides, rather than something of an instructional manual. There's some flawed narration, some conflicting perspectives and more.

I'm hoping some of the historical orders will be picked up, as will some of the other themes in explaining other elements of magic, Limbo and the Fractured Realms.
    AllenStroud

• And the guide is now complete (in draft) - 53,739 words.

Copies are now with Snapshot and Chris Jarvis. We'll see what comments and corrections they make. :D
    AllenStroud

• Great news! Does it include any bits about the old gods, at least to the extent that old gods have developed some lore?

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Information