Suggestions

Discussion about all things related to Chaos Reborn
Crayfish

Suggestions

Post by Crayfish » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:49 pm

I have a couple of suggestions for the game, the second of which I'm pretty sure you already have your own ideas for anyway.

The first suggestion is to have weather animations based upon the law/chaos state of the world. You already mention in the game design that tiles will change based upon their law/chaos state. This suggestion extends that so that in times of chaos there is stormy weather, with strong wind, leaves being blown and wind or snow. In time of law the sun would be out and long shadows would be cast, perhaps over the snow that fell in a recent time of chaos. The main gameplay reasoning for this is as a nice implicit indicator of the law/chaos state of the world without needing a HUD element.

The second suggestion I have is simpler and probably already in hand. The earthquake spell creates impassable chasms and I'm curious as to what happens to creatures on hexes that are suddenly turned into chasms. My suggestion would be that flight capable creatures simply take flight if they are on the ground and so save themselves from the chasm. Walking creatures could perhaps get a saving roll that allows them to jump to a neighbouring hex. There's a slight issue with that in that it might give creatures an "extra move" but that could perhaps be negated by making those creatures miss their next turn. Without the saving roll the earthquake spell might be a bit too powerful as a weapon against the higher level ground based creatures such as giants. The other option I guess is to simply only allow earthquake to be cast on empty hexes.

Grim Pinata

Re: Suggestions

Post by Grim Pinata » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:09 pm

Some nice suggestions Crayfish

I was thinking of starting a thread like this myself, my own simple suggestion is certain offensive spells have a low chance to be deflected by a shielded wizard and can sometimes create unintended random magic effects.

Strident

Post by Strident » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:41 pm

Perhaps a "sacrifice" spell to cast on one of your owned creatures, removing them from the board.

Effects could be either a chaos/law influence on the world or possibly a chance of a different spell.

You could either use it to try and change the world more rapidly in order to cast your higher level creatures or you could use it on a close to death (going to die anyway) creature in order to salvage some magic.

krayzkrok

Post by krayzkrok » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:37 am

Julian, I have one particular request. In the original I loved setting up AI vs AI matches, usually eight level 8 wizards which I named after various fictional characters. I spent hours setting these up and watching them play out, a testament to how entertaining the core mechanics were. Please let us do something similar in Chaos Reborn!

Grim Pinata

Post by Grim Pinata » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:49 pm

Thinking about the AI wizards it would be nice to assign different personality types to your opponents before a match, you could have behaviour templates (aggressive, defensive, suicidally offensive, cautious or a mix of subtypes etc..). or you could just have these attributes randomly assigned if you wish, I think difficulty could be a separate variable.

Crayfish

Post by Crayfish » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:49 pm

krayzkrok wrote:Julian, I have one particular request. In the original I loved setting up AI vs AI matches, usually eight level 8 wizards which I named after various fictional characters.
+1 to this.

A cinematic sit back and watch mode would be something that I'm pretty sure I would use. I can be working on one screen and watching how a game goes on another.

In a similar vein a spectator mode for online games would be good.

Incarnadine

Post by Incarnadine » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:11 pm

I was just wondering I have several friends who will buy this but I also have several who, though they would give me the odd game wouldn't cough up the cash ,is there any chance that people could be able to play for free in some way perhaps get a guest password from a payed up user?
PRETENAMA

Scorpius

Post by Scorpius » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:47 pm

Hi,

Sorry to cross-post from another topic but I didn't want to derail the discussion about kicstarter rewards.
Julian Gollop wrote:There will be a ranking system for multiplayer games based on the Elo rating system (chess rating system). The game matching system will probably be based on this rating and, if equipment is allowed in the game mode, wizard level. There will be a guild ranking system based on both multiplayer rankings and wizard levels.
Julian, it's interesting you mention chess as I was just about to ask if there would be any way of recording games so that they can be reviewed later in the same way as a chess match? The reason is that although I loved Chaos on the Speccy, I never had anyone local to play against and always found myself unsure of whether I lost to the computer because I was rubbish or just wasn't developing good strategies; Playing against the computer was just too fast-paced to take in what the AI was up to and some way of looking back over a game would have been quite nice to have.

Having some way or reviewing a good match (perhaps there could be a leaderboard of community-rated games worth watching, with the ability for knowledgable players to comment on each move) would make it a lot easier for people like myself to learn from other people's games without having to go through a whole video replay.

I hope that makes sense.

Julian Gollop
Site Admin

Post by Julian Gollop » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:11 am

Scorpius wrote:Having some way or reviewing a good match (perhaps there could be a leaderboard of community-rated games worth watching, with the ability for knowledgable players to comment on each move) would make it a lot easier for people like myself to learn from other people's games without having to go through a whole video replay.

I hope that makes sense.
Yes, games are stored on the server and locally and they can be reviewed with a video style control panel. You will be able to retrieve any completed games which are stored on the game server. You can actually also review during a game, so you can review the last turn, or last few turns, whenever you wish.

anarasanen

Post by anarasanen » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:47 pm

Thank you, Julian Gollop, for making these awesome games. Our group of friends played the original version a lot when we were kids and it was one of the most influential games of our childhood. Sadly we played only ware version of the game. We were kids with little money living in a small town with no game shops around in Finnish countryside. And our parents didn't exactly support our gaming hobby... Of course we got what we deserved when 'Turmoil' f*cked up our matches every damn time. This time however I'm going to buy the real version.

I have one important suggestion about the game: Please make the wizards start match in a circle this time. In the original version wizards starting in corners had huge advantage over others.