Chaos Reborn Kickstarter Rewards Proposal

Discussion about all things related to Chaos Reborn
Julian Gollop
Site Admin

Chaos Reborn Kickstarter Rewards Proposal

Post by Julian Gollop » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:05 am

Hi all,
I have been working on devising the Kickstarter rewards for Chaos Reborn and I though I would share with you my proposals to get your feedback. If you can look through them, please tell me what you think. Are the rewards understandable? Are they desirable? Will they have positive or negative impacts on the game? Do you have any other suggestions or ideas?

I have not included the prices yet, but it is likely that the 'base' tier - Novice - which gets you the game (and early access) will be $20 or 12 British pounds sterling.

Thanks for your input.

-------------------------------
CHAOS REBORN KICKSTARTER REWARDS

Undisbeliever
Access to game development forums and pages (not available to non-backers). Contribute to the game design process - read all the latest design docs as soon as they are created and add your comments and suggestions.

Novice
Everything in Undisbeliever tier
PLUS
Digital downloadable version of the game, DRM free, for either PC, Mac or Linux.
Early access to development versions, alpha and beta.
Create your player account and your wizard name for online modes

Apprentice
Everything in the Novice tier - a full version of the game - plus:
A PDF of our stunning Chaos Reborn Art book and Game Guide and downloadable versions of the music tracks.

Forge Master
Everything in Apprentice tier - the game, the art and game guide, the music - plus:
Create a rare set of magical equipment - a staff, a robe, a hat - which you will own from the start
Name your equipment (following our naming policy) and define its attributes with exclusive access to our equipment editor (not available to other players!).

Wizard Lord
Everything in Forge Master tier - the game, the art, the guide, the music, the personalized equipment - PLUS
You have the Wizard Lord aura for your wizard character in battles - an impressive visual effect distinguishing you as a Lord.
Your wizard will act as a Wizard Lord defending a region in a realm of Chaos controlled by AI. Set your spells and equipment, and receive battle reports for your wizard. You can earn Experience Points and Gold passively from these battles.

Wizard King
Everything in Forge Master tier - the game, the art, the guide, the music, the personalized equipment - PLUS
You have the Wizard King aura for your wizard character in battles - a regally impressive visual effect distinguishing you as a King.
Your wizard will act as a Wizard King ruling over an entire Realm of Chaos controlled by AI. Set your spells and equipment, and receive battle reports for your Wizard King. You can earn Experience Points and Gold passively from these battles.

Demigod - limited to 500
You are a Demigod! You pledge your loyalty to one of the Gods of the Realms of Chaos. You have, from the start, your own guild and can recruit other players. Name your guild and define its rules and loyalties.
You have the Demigod aura for your wizard character in battles - an awesomely impressive visual effect distinguishing you as a Demigod.
Your wizard will act as a higher level Wizard King ruling over an entire Realm of Chaos controlled by AI. Set your spells and equipment, and receive battle reports for your wizard. You can earn Experience Points and Gold passively from these battles.
You have exclusive access to the god forums on the Chaos Reborn website - shaping the future of the game.

God - limited to 33
You are one of the Gods of the Realms of Chaos!
Our artists will model your god image according to your likeness, or whatever likeness you choose. Define your god bio, and choose what, exactly, you are a god of.
You can dispense favours and blessings to your followers, or bestow blessings on entire guilds.
You have a god aura for your wizard character in battles - an divinely striking visual effect distinguishing you as a God!
Your wizard will act as a Divine Wizard King ruling over an entire Realm of Chaos controlled by AI. Set your spells and equipment, and receive battle reports for your wizard. You can earn Experience Points and Gold passively from these battles.
You have, from the start, your own guild and can recruit other players. Name your guild and define its rules.
You have exclusive access to the god forums on the Chaos Reborn website.
You can communicate directly with your followers via all the guilds that pledge loyalty to you.

Supreme Benefactor - limited to 10
Everything in the God tier - the game, the art, the guide, the music, the personalized equipment, God status
PLUS
Your name in the credits as a Supreme Benefactor, and an exclusive invite to our launch party, to be held in London UK, where you can wine and dine with the creators of Chaos Reborn (you must make your own travel and accommodation arrangements).

The Rewards Explained
If you back the project at Novice tier and above you will have access to early playable versions of the game before the official launch, and you can participate in the design process through the Chaos Reborn website.
With the Forgemaster tier and above you get to design and name a set of rare equipment items. The game has a procedural generation system for equipment with wide variety of visual designs and game effects, but in this case you will get to design your own equipment and its visual looks using an equipment editor program. Your wizard will start with your designed equipment, but it will be possible for other players to find more copies of the equipment you designed - with your author tag attached.
If you select the Wizard Lord tier or above, you have important status within the wizardly realms, and an extra play mode that allows your wizard to act as an NPC for other players to encounter in their realm exploration. In order to do this you have to go online and configure your wizard by choosing equipment, spells and battle tactics. While you are offline your wizard will be controlled by AI and may be involved in multiple battles. When you go online you may review these battles, which can then help you refine your wizard configuration. Your wizard will earn experience points and gold by using this mode.

Scorpius

Re: Chaos Reborn Kickstarter Rewards Proposal

Post by Scorpius » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:06 am

Those look pretty good to me with a reasonable escalation of enhancements. Your base price looks very affordable too and I'll be interested to see how the gameplay is affected with some of the higher tier rewards. Just a quick question about the ability to earn experience points and gold passively - The way I'm reading it is that I presume it's limited to single-player mode to avoid creating a "gold-farming" market?

I have to say I'm really looking forward to be able to back this on Kickstarter!

Tess
GOD

Post by Tess » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:23 pm

Yessss, Yessssssssss, Muhahahaha! Power shall be mine! Mine, I tell you!

I can't wait for the kickstarter, let alone the game!

I guess what I don't really understand (and maybe this was on the old forum and I just didn't read it in which case I apologise) is how the experience and guild system will affect the game if at all. Can other players level up to become Lords, demi-gods etc, or is this only available to the kickstarters? Can gods be deposed?

I once roleplayed a divine being / admin on a popular MUD which was incredibly satisfying, with the ability to bestow favours pleasantly mingled with the occasional lightning bolt of displeasure. But how these sort of things interact with the essential basic Chaos gameplay I'm not entirely sure. Why do we care about experience points again? Still, this isn't going to prevent me backing the game at the highest level I can afford, because, CHAOS.

I do love the idea of my lordly or divine wizard being involved in battles as an AI while I'm offline - but then also being able to play as that wizard myself ... That's surely gonna freak some players out. "What's this? Today Lady Tarax the Red seems somewhat less predicta...OW OW OW!"

Another question, will you be permitting kickstarters who have early access to the game to stream a 'let's play' on youtube or twitch? Not that I've ever done that sort of thing but I loved watching Hearthstone vods before it was in open beta and would love to give vent to my Chaotic Enthusiasms.

T.

Incarnadine

Post by Incarnadine » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:02 pm

Just cant wait, feels like christmas morning.

A few suggestions on the rewards side of things.

1. the chance to create your own spell, any chance, I would imagine people would love to pay for that.
2. the ability to see where certain artefacts are located, you are not a god but a psychic of sorts.
3. the chance to name certain key characters or locations.
4. if when you die you lose things you have collected perhaps a reincarnation level could be added to kickstarter allowing you to keep your items.
5. tangibles - actual signed art or branded clothing or even models of creatures in the game, I really think people might pay extra for these and love to have them.

Just to say in closing I would prefer if there are no items or advantages that have a meaningful impact on gameplay that you cant also just acquire by good old fashioned in game murder.
PRETENAMA

Julian Gollop
Site Admin

Post by Julian Gollop » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:44 pm

Scorpius wrote:Just a quick question about the ability to earn experience points and gold passively - The way I'm reading it is that I presume it's limited to single-player mode to avoid creating a "gold-farming" market?
Hi Scorpius,
The rewards for your wizard are relevant to both single-player and multiplayer - but you can't 'farm' as such, because you need to be actively involved in upgrading your wizard for his role as Lord/King - levelling up equipment, finding new equipment, finding new spells. For this you will need to engage in realm quests and optionally multiplayer games.

SlipperyJim

Post by SlipperyJim » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:05 pm

That all seems pretty clear to me.

I especially like the idea of people being able to attend the launch party! :)

I have no other suggestions to add at this time.

Regards,

Jim
The Battlemage!

gary is my master now...

Current Unicoin Total: 54.2

Twitter / Steam: SlipperyJim72

Julian Gollop
Site Admin

Post by Julian Gollop » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:08 pm

Tess wrote: I guess what I don't really understand (and maybe this was on the old forum and I just didn't read it in which case I apologise) is how the experience and guild system will affect the game if at all. Can other players level up to become Lords, demi-gods etc, or is this only available to the kickstarters? Can gods be deposed?
Experience points are used to level up your wizard, gaining access to higher level realms, and hence more types of equipment and spells. It will be possible for other players to become Lords/Kings/Demigods and Gods, but each level will be require some time and skill to accomplish - and you don't get the special auras. The Gods themselves cannot be deposed, and you can only gain the rank of God if the Gods allow it.
I once roleplayed a divine being / admin on a popular MUD which was incredibly satisfying, with the ability to bestow favours pleasantly mingled with the occasional lightning bolt of displeasure. But how these sort of things interact with the essential basic Chaos gameplay I'm not entirely sure.
The favours bestowed by gods are several - exclusive access to high-reward realms, time-limited XP or gold multipliers, and so on. But the Gods have limited blessings and must choose who to support wisely.
Another question, will you be permitting kickstarters who have early access to the game to stream a 'let's play' on youtube or twitch?
Yes, absolutely.

Julian Gollop
Site Admin

Post by Julian Gollop » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:20 pm

Incarnadine wrote:1. the chance to create your own spell, any chance, I would imagine people would love to pay for that.
It's unlikely that I would do this because the spells are so fundamental to the balance of the game - and most difficult to implement - but I will think about this one.
2. the ability to see where certain artefacts are located, you are not a god but a psychic of sorts.
Interesting idea. It might be too much of an advantage though.
3. the chance to name certain key characters or locations.
This one is a bit easier to implement - although the key characters are the Wizard Lords and Kings you fight - which could be your wizard!
4. if when you die you lose things you have collected perhaps a reincarnation level could be added to kickstarter allowing you to keep your items.
You always keep items and gold you have collected in battle, even if you die, so this won't apply.
5. tangibles - actual signed art or branded clothing or even models of creatures in the game, I really think people might pay extra for these and love to have them.
I have purposely stayed clear of physical rewards, although I can appreciate people might like to have them. I want everything to be focussed on the game (T-shirts may be available later for purchase).
Just to say in closing I would prefer if there are no items or advantages that have a meaningful impact on gameplay that you cant also just acquire by good old fashioned in game murder.
I am inclined to agree with this. Do other people feel strongly about this?

Tess
GOD

Post by Tess » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:38 pm

Julian Gollop wrote:
Incarnadine wrote:
I am inclined to agree with this. Do other people feel strongly about this?
I think it's fair to say most people dislike 'pay-to-win' with varying degrees of fury. It's typically considered that any advantages gained in a game by paying money should also be accessible to everyone, given enough time and effort.

So most buyable rewards tend to be cosmetic or temporary rather than permanent gameplay advantages. (Free-to-play games are of course terrible at this because they want to force you to pay up at some later point.)

I like the idea though of the gods needing to agree to let other demi-gods become gods. That gives a real sense of privilege to that rank, and perhaps you could get away with the top kickstarter backers getting that one up front without offending your playerbase. But I think it should always be possible in theory for anyone to 'make it'.

Thanks for answering my other questions. Very interesting! Will there be a ladder system a la Hearthstone alongside the experience system, or any way to lose experience and be demoted? Will there be co-operative team-v-team play? I always prefer co-op vs the AI personally, but then I'm wimpy about that sort of thing.

hosser

Post by hosser » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:49 pm

I really like the idea of some players being Gods and kings etc. but I think it'd be better if these players were people who had earned their position by being high on the leaderboards or something - like StarCraft II's Grandmaster league for the top 200 players in each region. Better that than people who have "paid to win".

That said I'm itching for a reason to shoot for the high KS tiers - I like the idea of player auras, but I'd love some physical rewards too.