Chaos Reborn v0.23 - with single player mode

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.

• Thanks for the video, Tess! I have to say that the AI looks somewhat random to my eye, although I am only judging from what I saw in your video. It's great that folks can have computer opponents to play against, though! I hope you enjoy your AI hotseat holiday. :D
    Sephorin, living in service to the Goddess Ariianrhod since April, 1204.
    Sephorin
    GOD

• My observation in AI games is, I can pretty safely cast everything as illusions.

ArchCarrier wrote:ArchCarrier

You have chosen your username wisely.
    Hodor.
    Tortuosit

• I love the single player mode, very glad we got this by Christmas! But yeah, we all know it needs more work. So far the most egregious seem to be that a) AI doesn't use mounts, b) trees and vines are over-prioritized, c) AI doesn't really grab mana sprites smartly, d) somewhat random spell progression, with hydras coming out on turn 2 quite often, e) hydras for some reason don't seem to be attacking more than one enemy when next to 2+ of them, f) while I love the randomness of whether they cast illusions, the disbelieve priority is a bit off, g) opportunities for kill shots on enemy wizards are often passed up (although this may be level 2 AI, and not level 8 AI!) and probably more.

But you know what? None of this matters right now, because we have a perfectly functional and fun single player Chaos Reborn mode in time for Christmas, and I'm super pleased! Many thanks Julian and the rest of the Snapshot team for giving this to us, I'm sure it was hard work getting it done in time. Merry Christmas all!
    krayzkrok

• By the way, am I crazy or can blobbed/webbed AI wizards attack adjacent creatures? In my last game my spider successfully webbed a wizard and that wizard just knocked it on the head with his staff and killed it. And I could swear that I've seen blobbed AI wizards hitting adjacent creatures as well.

Anyhoo, here's wishing a very merry X-mas to Julian and his team. Chaos Reborn is already a fantastic game and I could not be happier with it. :D
    Who's that riding across the plain?
    Who's lost count of the foes he's slain?
    Who's the man who's plumb insane?
    Kahangriel! Kahangriel! Kahangriel!
    Kahangriel
    GOD

• Kahangriel wrote:By the way, am I crazy or can blobbed/webbed AI wizards attack adjacent creatures? In my last game my spider successfully webbed a wizard and that wizard just knocked it on the head with his staff and killed it. And I could swear that I've seen blobbed AI wizards hitting adjacent creatures as well.

I saw that too - thought I was imagining it!
    Tess
    GOD

• krayzkrok wrote:So far the most egregious seem to be that a) AI doesn't use mounts, b) trees and vines are over-prioritized, c) AI doesn't really grab mana sprites smartly, d) somewhat random spell progression, with hydras coming out on turn 2 quite often, e) hydras for some reason don't seem to be attacking more than one enemy when next to 2+ of them, f) while I love the randomness of whether they cast illusions, the disbelieve priority is a bit off, g) opportunities for kill shots on enemy wizards are often passed up (although this may be level 2 AI, and not level 8 AI!) and probably more.

Seems like the skinjobs have committed far more crimes against humanity than I initially observed. That's it! I'm getting the Voight-Kampff test!
    Fire Water Gasoline

• Personally I'm finding the AI uses too many illusions and not quite enough disbelieves, but this actually doesn't spoil the fun. When playing 1v3 AI I find it's just enough challenge to make it satisfying to win (which I'm managing about 80% of the time). I try not to cheese with too many illusions though; I just use them where I normally would.

My main complaints would be the tendency for the AI to treat vines and shadow woods as a threat, to the point of blobbing trees or magic bolting vines. I know the wavy branches are hypnotic but that's no reason that they should act as a magnet for 6 rats for half the game.

It is sad that the AI doesn't use mounts - that does make the game somewhat easier. I hadn't noticed until krayzkrok pointed it out.

I suspect at the moment that each unit makes its decisions independently, so each creature goes for their own nearest threat rather than identify the most powerful threat to their wizard. Still, I'm finding the whole experience really satisfying.

When do we get 6-player or 8-player mode? 8-)

ps I notice elves sometimes fail to take the best shot, going in for unnecessary hand-to-hand combat.
    Tess
    GOD

• Isn't defence suppose to be halved when a creature is in a web? I just webbed a sapphire dragon and the chance to kill it didn't seem to change at all.
    Tess
    GOD

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Discussion

Information