Suggestion: Allow hiding of the loss stat from the game

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Timeraider

Suggestion: Allow hiding of the loss stat from the game

Post by Timeraider » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:01 pm

Didnt want to suggest this since i love the game and there will be enough people but.. ill trow it out there anyway :D

Warning: If you dont want to read all the text (nuuu dem words hurt my head), its sort of summarised below the dotted line. The entire text together is more clear though.

Now.. its not a thread made in anger, not a thread made to whine, its just a serious suggestion that i know not everyone would like and if enough people dislike it, ill lay myself down with the general decision ofcourse :P

p.s. Im not suggesting to remove the amount of games, amount of wins etc. stats, just the one showing the amounts of losses.

So.. why dont i like the loss statistic:

General feeling of the player himself:
I do get that some people like numbers, % etc. out of the wazoo, but ive noticed that at alot of games where there is no loss stat showing..people are generally more confident in their ability to play the game, thus playing more.
Regardless of them being able to calculate their amount of losses by doing their total matches - the wins, some people really get affected by having their amount of losses pushed in their face :P It can over time really affect peoples mood towards a game.
(there are always exceptions, i realise that)

Prejudgement on people:
Its an rng game whereby people strife to improve by testing and numbercrunching.
Things ive noticed with games showing losses is that people get easier judged by the w/l and amount of losses then by the time they spent playing and how well they play with their current tactics and set-ups. This allows for both big underestimates as well as overestimates .. and a way to bully people -_-

Now i do have to clarify that at most games i play ive got more then decent expertise and my winrate in games in general is at least never below 50% so i guess thats good :P
Also i dont have that much experience with Chaos Reborn yet so only got 1 win and 0 losses atm (did do alot of offline practise at least before going online :P)

-----------------------------------

I do realise this must be the most stupid idea in the eyes of some, but the effect isnt even knowing the amount of losses since as said before, even when hiding that stat they can still calculate it .. its just the effect on logging in and seeing "YOU HAVE LOST THIS MANY TIME" or people saying "PFFFFF 50% WINRATE ♥♥♥♥♥" which does affect some.

So i guess this is just a suggestion against fully pushing someones losses into their face in games in general :D

p.p.s The fact that this is a post i make says alot about the game.. i mean.. if this is the thing i make a post about, it pretty much means the rest is just perfect XD

Sephorin
GOD

Re: Suggestion: Allow hiding of the loss stat from the game

Post by Sephorin » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:30 pm

I'm glad you're enjoying the game, Timeraider! So long as it is indeed optional to hide the win %, I would be fine with your idea. Perhaps if you choose to hide your win %, you would also be unable to see the win % of other people?

Or perhaps you could simply choose not to have your win % displayed on the front page of your "character sheet." You could still see it if you went digging into your statistics, but it wouldn't be right there in your face every time your log in (if you choose this option).
Sephorin, living in service to the Goddess Ariianrhod since April, 1204.

Timeraider

Post by Timeraider » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:36 pm

I guess not having your losses etc. displayed in your character screen/main homecoming screen but a detailed profile screen would be actually quite sweet yeah :P i dont care if there are even massive graphs showing who you have lost to and how much they laughed at you, as long as its not in your face when you open the game XD

like i said.. might be an tiny and extremely dumb suggestion, but it does mean something good if thats the only thing i can find :D

and its 3-0 now so i celebrate my first tripple winstreak since it came from webbrowser -> Steam i decided to buy 2 apprentice packs. Not 100% sure yet wether i will give them away to random people in a give-away or wether to find out what friends would love the game and give it to them :P
Last edited by Timeraider on Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tess
GOD

Post by Tess » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:53 pm

The win rate does look a bit embarrassing if i want to start a video from the starting Chaos screen :). Not that my win rate is that bad, but I do have to be careful not to play too many 4-player matches...

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:22 pm

I think it's a fair point, whist I'm winning my fair share of games and I suspect that that % has gone up since the introduction of win rates, I also feel that my enjoyment of games has if anything decreased. It certainly feels like the result matters a lot more now.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:23 pm

Tess wrote:The win rate does look a bit embarrassing if i want to start a video from the starting Chaos screen :). Not that my win rate is that bad, but I do have to be careful not to play too many 4-player matches...

Yeah, I'm quite conscious of that too... at the very least there should be a split in stats between the different game modes.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

Sephorin
GOD

Post by Sephorin » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:20 am

SpiteAndMalice wrote:at the very least there should be a split in stats between the different game modes.

Absolutely. At the very least. Or perhaps a win in a four-player game could have three times the weight as a win in a duel?
Sephorin, living in service to the Goddess Ariianrhod since April, 1204.

NoWorries
GOD

Post by NoWorries » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:53 am

Thank you, Timeraider, for starting this thread.

Whether we like it or not, humans are wired to react positively to positives and negatively to negatives. A win is a positive. A loss is a negative. Yes, "mature" players should be able to inure themselves to the self-inflicted negatives of a tracked record of losses. But is a good game designed around how players should be... or how players actually are? Heck, I've been playing this game consistently since last April, but I'm immature enough that tracking of win/loss ratios has changed how and when I play. And though I consciously strive to resist these inclinations, I must confess that I may not play as much as I would if my multi-player matches did not leave a seemingly permanent record of my imperfections, i.e., my losses.

It would be a simple matter to eliminate win/loss ratios entirely from multiplayer rankings and standings. E.g., standings could be based on discrete tournament results or, better yet, provide rankings based on the gross number of wins within a discrete time period of 30 days or whatever.

Yes, in a perfect world, people should not be turned off by games where they are confronted with a permanent record of all of their losses. But, the world is not perfect. And let's face it, many gamers game for the experience of winning. No one likes to be a loser. And not many players long play any game which records them in a permanent record as being a loser.

How many insanely popular games base advancement and measure success on tracking how many times a player experiences failure? Now, compare that small list with the much larger list of insanely popular games which base advancement and measure success primarily on players' successes?

I'm not suggesting that we change anything whatsoever with the game that we all love and enjoy. Except that rankings and advancement should be based upon and measured by metrics focused solely on successes rather than failures.

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:49 pm

I know I'd play less if I couldn't see my losses. Yes, I'm a competitive person, I play to get better. And getting better means winning more and losing less. A metric that doesn't show my "failures" (I don't think losing is necessarily failing, you can learn from it) is an incomplete metric.

I totally agree with it being optional, of course. If other people prefer not to see their losses, or not to see their stats at all, then that option would be nice. I want to see stats to track my own self-improvement, not to make other people feel bad. But please let me see all my stats! And if even more stats were added in the future (wins and losses per type of game, ELO ratings, etc.) I'd be even happier. I'm a suckler for stats.

Regarding the subject of how to count win rates for games with more than two players, I raised the issue in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=968

goldendragon76

Post by goldendragon76 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:26 pm

I enjoy playing this game whether I win or lose and some of my favourite games have been a draw or a loss for me. I much prefer a tough game against a skilled player that results in a loss than an easy 2 turn victory against an inexperienced player who rushes into bolt range. Plus you are much more likely to be improving your game if you get beat than if you win. Win by a 2 turn bolt and your opponent has learnt a valuable lesson about keeping their wizard out of danger but you have learnt nothing.