Minor suggestions/ideas

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Locked
User avatar
Gardafour
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:23 pm

Minor suggestions/ideas

Post by Gardafour » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:36 pm

The dragon's attack at close range is his breath weapon, and I think because the % goes up for melee, he should use his claws, or pick the foe up in his mighty jaws and shake them like a rag doll. Should be some physical attack, not the ranged breath weapon.

I like the sudden PFSSSTT and sparks for a failed spell better than the gentle puff of gas that is in the game currently. The fountain of sparks felt more aggravating somehow and often startled me, which was great.

Will there be a Grimoire of the Realms? (Ufopedia basically?) One thing that made X-COM great was the amount of flavor in the game. The awesome pictures of dissected aliens and the creative writing that went along with them were perfect. I can see an ancient book of magic with drawings (concept art sketches maybe) and descriptions of the creatures and spells. I see lots of room for creative flair here. As you gain spells, you add pages to your Grimoire.

Is there a pause in Single player mode? If not, I think there should be.

Are the other dragons going to come back? It would be fun to just have "summon dragon" and the type you get is random. Mechanically, they would be the same, but they'd look different.

I like the lack of gore and over the top violence in this game. I don't know if this is a design goal, but I love how I can play this game with my young kids without worrying about a particularly gruesome death animation giving them nightmares. That said, a few more animations for each creature in general would be nice. You can't have too many animations. Variety is the spice of life, and just because you have one elephant, doesn't mean you can't have many random, (dare I say chaotic), flavors of elephant.

User avatar
krayzkrok
Posts: 766
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:54 am
Location: Darwin, Australia

Re: Minor suggestions/ideas

Post by krayzkrok » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:53 pm

In the prototype there were three dragons, each had pros and cons. I'm sure we'll be getting these back in fully animated form as the game develops.

The main issue with the Sapphire dragon's ranged attack is that the range marker doesn't reflect the range of the breath; it currently matches the movement range, and this has caught me out before. I quite like the current short-range breath attack, with the dragon rising off the ground menacingly and blasting the enemy with cleansing lawful fire. ;) I seem to remember it had a handbag-like "clip around the ear" with its wing before, so it's much better now.

I agree that I'd like to see a more spectacular spell fail animation, although admittedly the current feeble puff does somewhat reflect your disappointment! A few sparks bouncing around would looks great though.

I seriously doubt we'll get any gore, thankfully. Chaos has always had a wide appeal and the current look really is perfect.

User avatar
Sephorin
GOD
Posts: 2467
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Within the Reverie
Contact:

Re: Minor suggestions/ideas

Post by Sephorin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:40 pm

Gardafour wrote:I like the sudden PFSSSTT and sparks for a failed spell better than the gentle puff of gas that is in the game currently. The fountain of sparks felt more aggravating somehow and often startled me, which was great.
Hey, you're right! Whatever happened to that PFSSTT sparky shower thing? Not that I mind the current spell failure animation, but why not have both? The one that happens could just be random.
krayzkrok wrote:I quite like the current short-range breath attack, with the dragon rising off the ground menacingly and blasting the enemy with cleansing lawful fire.
I agree, especially with the Lawful Fire bit. :D

EDIT: krayzkrok, I didn't recognize you at first with your new forum avatar. It looks good!
Sephorin, living in service to the Goddess Ariianrhod since April, 1204.

User avatar
krayzkrok
Posts: 766
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:54 am
Location: Darwin, Australia

Re: Minor suggestions/ideas

Post by krayzkrok » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:45 pm

Thanks Sephorin, I thought I'd better get in character.

User avatar
SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD
Posts: 6276
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:45 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Minor suggestions/ideas

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:37 pm

Gardafour wrote:Will there be a Grimoire of the Realms? (Ufopedia basically?) One thing that made X-COM great was the amount of flavor in the game. The awesome pictures of dissected aliens and the creative writing that went along with them were perfect. I can see an ancient book of magic with drawings (concept art sketches maybe) and descriptions of the creatures and spells. I see lots of room for creative flair here. As you gain spells, you add pages to your Grimoire.
That would be a really nice touch :-)
Gardafour wrote:That said, a few more animations for each creature in general would be nice. You can't have too many animations. Variety is the spice of life, and just because you have one elephant, doesn't mean you can't have many random, (dare I say chaotic), flavors of elephant.
That too!
Image

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

Locked