Asynchronous game limit

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Kira

Asynchronous game limit

Post by Kira » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:32 pm

I might be unlucky or something, but a large portion of my asynchronous games are waiting on a 20day timer on a guy that has not even made their first move. I counted 11 games that have been inactive for over 7 days. The rest of the games are spread between "active" and 2-5 day inactives. These problems have limited me to around 4-6 game slots actually being used. Can we please get an increase on how many games we can have open. I am sure many people would appreciate it.

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Re: Asynchronous game limit

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:21 pm

+1

Likewise, I've got very few asynch slots left and a lot of inactive games.

I think people are possibly trying to set up live games and creating asnychs by accident.

(It is the holiday period mind, so some people may just be away.. I got a really nice apology from someone to that effect this morning and got 3 asynch games up and running).

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

NoWorries
GOD

Post by NoWorries » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:34 pm

The better solution would be to have the asynchronous match maker wholly within the asynchronous section of the multiplayer menu rather than have both asynchronous and live games subject to the same match maker. They are two very different game modes, and there is a high percentage of people I believe who sign up for asynchronous game by mistake.

There are other reforms such as being able to toggle notifications as to "it's your move" within the game and by email.

These and other ideas were presented in the related thread created by Julian Gollop back in October to solicit our input on the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly on Asynchronous gameplay. The only thing that his team has tweaked so far is to increase the turn timer from 7 days to 20 days. I suspect that this was the only tweak because it was the easiest tweak to make before the Steam Early Release. I hope that Snapshot has on their to-do list many of the items suggested in that thread.

Mazy

Post by Mazy » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:47 pm

Async's have become my preferred method of playing of late and yes a lot of inactive games do take up a lot of slots. It would be great if perhaps the turn clock in random asyncs could be a lot shorter to help remedy this slightly. Keep the option of long turn clocks for private asyncs alongside an option to have an even shorter turn clock of around 5 days. Or perhaps if there was some way of surrendering in really long inactive games (without it counting as a loss) with the ability to clear that still inactive game from the list....Alternatively, I reckon there's a few of us currently playing asyncs regularly and actively, from various time zones, taking daily/nightly turns. Maybe we could remove the risk of getting an inactive async by arranging async games amongst each other via Ped's tournment client http://client.lawandchaos.co.uk/ :)

goldendragon76

Post by goldendragon76 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:47 pm

I like the 20 day turn limit as it means you can safely make 1 turn per day with someone in a different time zone without risk of timing out.
From my experience the majority of inactive async games are ones that don't advance past turn 1. This leads me to believe that players are getting into async games without either realising it or wanting it. This could probably be solved by making it a lot clearer when you are putting yourself forward for this type of game and then when you are in a game.
If all your games were active then the 30 limit would probably be fine, something like 50 or 100 active games may get a bit overwhelming.

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:27 pm

What if you had a notification on the multiplayer options menu saying that you had X number of games waiting for you to make a move?

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

krayzkrok

Post by krayzkrok » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:50 pm

Yes, please don't reduce the match maker async limit below 20 days, otherwise it makes playing games in vastly different time zones pretty much unworkable. I've had several successful games running like this, although my suggestion would be to make the first turn limited to something like 2 days, after which that player is simply removed with no stats impact.

There's also still obviously a time-out on starting a private async match, because in another forum we now post game IDs and passwords for challenges, but if nobody accepts the challenge within a certain time limit (24 hours?) then the game becomes impossible to join. That game then sits waiting for players in the active games list of the player who created it, taking up a slot. The ability to drop out and hence remove of any game that hasn't yet been started would be very useful.

Also, while I'm here, I often miss games where I've been killed because they move from the active list immediately and sit out in the greyed out completed list. This also very much spoils the surprise of watching the playback of moves, and I'd hope it can be changed so that games only move to the completed list after you've viewed the final set of moves.

Tess
GOD

Post by Tess » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:57 pm

krayzkrok wrote:Also, while I'm here, I often miss games where I've been killed because they move from the active list immediately and sit out in the greyed out completed list.

Just to note that they only jump to the greyed out list once someone has won. If you're knocked out of a 4 player match, the game stays active until someone is victorious. Nevertheless, your name is greyed out as soon as you view the match so you can still see before you view your turn that you are going to die that round. Hopefully this will be addressed.

goldendragon76

Post by goldendragon76 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:18 pm

Tess wrote:
krayzkrok wrote:Also, while I'm here, I often miss games where I've been killed because they move from the active list immediately and sit out in the greyed out completed list.

Just to note that they only jump to the greyed out list once someone has won. If you're knocked out of a 4 player match, the game stays active until someone is victorious. Nevertheless, your name is greyed out as soon as you view the match so you can still see before you view your turn that you are going to die that round. Hopefully this will be addressed.

It also means you know when you are not going to die because otherwise it would have moved to completed games/name would be greyed out which results in there being no suspense when your wizard is being pummelled by creatures and bolts, you know before watching it all that you are going to survive everything being thrown at you.