should gooey blob kill?

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Eighth_Dwarf

Re: should gooey blob kill?

Post by Eighth_Dwarf » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:00 pm

That would be a fun twist for fire! especially as there was no way to put it out in the original and presumably in this one too.
Demi-God-Dwarf!

subprogram32

Post by subprogram32 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:13 pm

Crayfish wrote:What do you guys think of the idea of having magic fire be just as deadly to your own creatures as the enemy? It would be another way to differentiate it from gooey blob.
While I am no Chaos expert (never heard of it before this Kickstarter actually, I was a little bit too young for its time + parents who were not keen on console games) it does seem like a nice way to balance the two. Gooey blob is "loyal" but unreliable at finishing the job, while magic fire is much more dangerous - perhaps spreads faster too? - but can also cut a swathe through your own lines without very careful use. That seems to make them very different beasts!

worto03

Post by worto03 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:34 pm

I wanted to see what a few people thought before jumping back in because I'm a big fan of the old chaos but having to come to terms with a lot of changes for it to make it as a new game.

There are some differing opinions but for me a few comments have agreed with my sentiment, two spells :-

gooey blob : doesn't kill or maybe a small chance to kill : can be attacked to rescue creatures stuck in it - maybe just sticks enemy creatures and not friendly ones?

magic fire : kills instantly friend and foe - no messing

The thing that makes this not so straight forward is that the games are so much quicker (at least 1v1 wise and 1v1v1 have been for me) so your never really going to get the lengthy battles against the blob that I remember so fondly, it's just not worth it, you don't have turns spare to dig people out.

Maybe I just need to learn to stay further away from the blob :)

has anyone seen fire mentioned anywhere or is the new gooey blob a replacement for both spells which would make sense because as it is now it seems to do a decent job of both spells and maybe fire and blob would be one too many spells to clog up the arenas?

look how on fence I am :shock:

cheers,
worto.

krayzkrok

Post by krayzkrok » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:08 am

My first thought was no, I don't like the idea, because it would make it the only spell that could actually be a disadvantage for your wizard, and could seriously kill your chances if it headed in your direction. Why would you risk casting such a spell? If the casting range was higher it might make more sense to cast, but it could then be rather overpowered - cast into the middle of four grouped creatures and a lucky expansion would be a great AOE kill.

But then gooey blob isn't always your friend either, blocking you in, hindering your movement, etc. And if fire is potentially so powerful, perhaps it's good that it comes with risk. It could work, but that's the kind of discovery that needs playtesting.

Nephryte

Post by Nephryte » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:38 pm

Magic fire being dangerous to all would really be a nice innovation indeed, adding some extra chaotic element; +1 to the idea. :)
Also, it should be able to destroy gooey blob and tangle vine as well (as the former is, if I'm not mistaken, in the end just some kind of mutant amoeba or suchlike, and the former just a bunch of overgrown vines - and after all, both of these are susceptible to fire).

Houchou
DEMIGOD

Post by Houchou » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:25 pm

I'm not against blobs killing outright, but what I really have a gripe with is that it can now be cast directly onto players & their summons. At least give us a chance to run away.. In the case of casting onto players, i'm finding it's being used often for a cheap quick win.

But then again the same has always gone for magic bolt & lightning :)

Must say I *love* this idea for magic fire! Visions of wizards swooping in on a pegasus to cast fire with the intention of doubling back.. Then losing their mount and realising that fire is no longer their friend..
info, attack space
AI exploits game's own glitch
such things are legend

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:47 am

I agree that blobs only being castable into open space would be better.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

krayzkrok

Post by krayzkrok » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:26 am

But to cast a blob directly onto a wizard, you need to move within 3 hexes, well within magic bolt (and other offensive spells that might be added later) range. It can be a bit risky if the blob doesn't kill immediately, which it rarely does. It's far less reliable than Magic Bolt for a killing blow.

WskOsc
DEMIGOD

Post by WskOsc » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:02 pm

I'll throw in my tuppence.

Gooey Blob - pretty much loving the new one. I think it should retain its chance to kill at about a 5-8% rate but gain the ability to remain a cohesive, spreading lump for another turn or two providing it has the space to expand. I find that right now it's a little too powerful as a wizard trap and doesn't last quite long enough/spread out chunkily enough to be a threat to a large group of creatures.

Magic Fire - should make a return and be the opposite function of the blob, having a much higher chance to kill (40-60%?) but no immobilization ability. Also it shouldn't last as long as the blob but should be indestructible (unless there's a specific spell added to counter it, maybe an AoE rain spell). Skeletons should be immune or at least highly resistant to the Magic Fire in my opinion too.
-Content free since 1986.

ledeir

Post by ledeir » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:46 pm

In the few games I've played the blob has been surprisingly deadly.
I knew nothing of Chaos before the kickstarter, so I can't comment on the original, only the rebirth.

I like that it can kill. I don't like that it can be cast directly on a wizard, but as other people have mentioned you need to get dangerously close for that to happen so I will chalk that up to personal preference and a learning experience.

I would vote for it being a spell which needs to be cast in the open. It feels more chaotic (and defensive) that way.

I haven't seen Magic Fire in play yet. I definitely like the idea of it being able to spread to anything though. And based on the discussion it seems to be the type of spell which should be able to be cast on any target.