Original movements and ranges

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
ustolemytiger

Original movements and ranges

Post by ustolemytiger » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:00 am

Ok, its probably pretty obvious that i think this game is great and has been consistently well balanced even through the turmoil of balance changes etc.

What i am going to suggest may sound like a massive upheaval but i think that that is warranted as this is an alpha still with nothing set in stone.

I think the original ranges of attack and movement in the original Chaos were better and i am not just being a purist.

The game felt more dynamic when a lion could move 4 for example, feels faster. At the moment even fast units feel sluggish and cannot fully out maneuver slow creatures.

At the moment 3 is the magic number, range of bolt, blob, bow, most ranged attacks. This leads to a lack of strategy and with just using the strongest weapon available, which is usually bolt.

In the original a wizard with a bow and wings had a range of 12, centaur and manticore range of 8, elf 7 etc, there was a different unit for each occasion.

So in short slightly larger boards increased movement and range.

Im sure its all planned out though and thats cool too, awesome stuff so far:)

(Edit:meant to post this in general)

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Re: Original movements and ranges

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:22 am

I certainly think that something (and the lion would be a good choice in fact) needs to have a movement of 4 in order to offset the elf's ranged attack.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

Tess
GOD

Post by Tess » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:24 am

I think it would be interesting to experience CR with large maps and increased movement rates. At the moment everything does feel a bit claustrophobic compared to the original Chaos. I'm not sure having more space would be better but I'd like to test it.

Black Leaf

Post by Black Leaf » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:18 am

I've come to quite like the more claustrophobic feel of the new game. But then I generally played the original with eight wizards so I'm used to things being dangerous from the start.

I think one thing to consider might be to make these customisable in the same way as game turns etc.

NoWorries
GOD

Post by NoWorries » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:15 pm

The original Chaos catered to hotseat multiplayer and hotseat AI gameplay. Chaos Reborn introduces online multiplayer and a singleplayer/co-op campaign. I think the smaller maps and current ranges serve the ambition of quicker gameplay that online multiplayer and co-op matches require, while the current movement/attack ranges cater to the current map sizes quite well.

Though I'm curious how introduction of the teleport spell in the upcoming version 0.24 will change things....