Random seed maps for custom lobby games

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.

• I'll add procedural maps for custom games for 1-4 players today (it won't release today, however).
    I'll have a look at displaying the seed in the map name; I'll have a look at allowing you to specify the seed.

I think at least for now, using symmetry to generate 5/6 player maps will not happen. I'm not sure if symmetrical mountains "make sense" visually, and it is far more work (in terms of testing, mainly) than turning "existing" procedural maps on for custom games.
    CGR
    SNAPSHOT DEV

• Just an idea; can you produce a seed that is based on the current date? If so, it could be a precursor to some kind of daily challenge.

Chief tentacle arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods .
    SpiteAndMalice

• Proc Gen maps for custom 4way games does sound interesting! ..Please could you make restoring the original 1v1 maps a priority to (I'm assuming they haven't been completely wiped yet!).

IMO this is one of the most important things in the game that needs re-assessing. I think the original 1v1 maps were integral to the way 1v1 played out, the game was balanced for 1v1 and those maps, 1v1 was the perfect showcase for the game tactically..

..So it was a big shame that those maps were thrown out as if their design was just some very minor factor in the key to the success of the 1v1 format. The entire pool of 1v1 maps were reduced in size to implement a quick-play mode (Duel), the reworked versions could still remain in that format.

A lot of the areas shaved off of the original 1v1 maps contained terrain features which could be used to interesting effect in different ways from game to game.. they contained heightened areas (for attacking/defending from), alternative paths/routes (for flanking etc) and terrain features that could be used as cover/LoS blockers..

..Even if some of the deleted terrain areas were simply just areas of 'redundant space', those areas still created a broader range of tactical possibilities within every match. IMO the map reductions hurt the format, you get far less memorable epic 1v1 encounters now, Duel mode made the 1v1 format one dimensional.. and normal competitive 1v1 games are forced to use those duel mode maps.

I think most long-term players who play 1v1 Chaos exclusively would agree that the 1v1 map reductions added nothing, but took away a lot of depth. The difference in quality between the games on the shrunken maps compared to the original 1v1 maps is pretty big.
    Mazy

• Also, there are still some problematic map designs in some of the bigger formats which might need re-evaluating. The 5/6way format is still fairly new so some of the problem areas on those maps should be easy to identify and fix to make the format work better.

Just a couple of other ideas regarding map design in general..

Interchangeable maps across different formats.. I've noticed that there are some 4way maps that are actually the same size as, or larger than, some 6way maps.. they even have 6 clear wizard starting positions yet they are confined to 4ways only.

This means that there isn't really a set map size (or shape) for each designated format (no min/max parameters per format as such), which makes me wonder why it's not possible for other formats to play out on them e.g. a custom 4way using a 5way map (if the size, shape and starting positions of that map are appropriate).

Many maps in each category have the crossover potential of being maps that would work just as well, if not better, in a different format.. certain maps wouldn't have to remain exclusive to one format.

Map Preview ..For custom games it's still hard to know which maps are which (based purely on their map names) without an option to preview what they actually look like (or some kind of description). This is where it would be a good idea to allow players to decide what would be the best possible map for their chosen format upon seeing what they actually look like (because some maps are better suited to team formats than others).

..The option to randomize the starting order (and the option to randomize the teams/partners) is sorely lacking from custom set up to, IMO this should be a high priority fix (because it affects the matchmaker to, not just custom set-ups).. I think the other priorities should be making 1v1 great again (by restoring the 1v1 maps), more AI tweaking/fine tuning and reworking the SP/realms.
    Mazy

• How about a procedurally generate 8 way map? ;-)

Chief tentacle arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods .
    SpiteAndMalice

• I agree with taking a relook at the map layouts.

The original chaos maps are by far the better batch for that mode, and it really hampers the dynamic of the rng of that mode.

For law mode they make sense. The deterministic dynamic of choosing how to manage your mana and when to plunk a spell down really fits with the small layout. It makes it more like a chess board, similar to games like duelyst.

But for chaos mode, it sort of pigeon holes the wild chaos of the game into this same cookie cutter, setting were the RNG is emphasized in a bad way. The small arena's make sense were your trying to mitigate the time that HP adds to the game, but in chaos mode it's totally out of place. (imo)

I suppose that's why i will differ in regards to which modes the maps are relocated to. I would simply keep all things law mode to the new maps, and all things chaos to the old maps.
    anjovi

Previous

Return to Current Version Discussion

Information