The Battle of Wizards Map

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:15 pm

• Now that we have a custom game section within Chaos Reborn, it'd be really nice to have a Battle of Wizards Map added into the pool of available maps to play on. This could be just be a nice and simple flat 10x15 grid, it'd probably work using the plains graphics in order to explain the flatness of it, but equally something like a black marbled effect could be really lush to see.

And you could then make it a map that is available for any given number of players with starting points that equate to the starting points within Chaos Battle of Wizards for each player number.

(EDIT - Changed name from 'Classic Map' to 'Battle of Wizards Map')
    Last edited by SpiteAndMalice on Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:27 am

• I can't wait to read the complaints from players 4 and 5 about being bolted on their first move.
    krayzkrok

Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:33 am

• I always wondered whether that was an oversight on map design, or a limitation of map size, there really any room to make it larger.

I think the player 4 and 5 positions didn't get used for the 6 player game though, wasn't it 1,2,3 then 6,7,8?

SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:01 am

• Yes, 6 player games omitted the 4 and 5 positions, and moved the 1, 3, 6 and 8 positions up a little so it was slightly more evenly distributed. When we played, we always put AI in positions 4 and 5, and it was basically unwritten duty that they should be bolted on move 1 if you had that spell. ;)

Of course a Chaos Reborn version should be a little fairer, but it was a low-hanging fruit joke.
    krayzkrok

Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:24 pm

• Really surprised it wasn't added myself.

What you could do is just have the "classic map" as an option from the map pool and just have it randomly choose the terrain style to use. So you could have flat plain, flat citadel, flat palace, flat mountain..just using the assets for variety.

Otherwise i remember seeing a bug were the textures for palace maps were replaced by this shiny looking obsidian look...looked really sleek and reminded me of the original chaos right off the bat. Some sort of chess board floating in an abyss or space (with stars in the background) could be neat. something like this: http://www.waxpoetics.com/wp-content/up ... Swords.jpg though just with black tiles as opposed to the black/white chess board.
    anjovi

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:52 am

• Bump - This would be a nice easy map add for any number of players, but especially for the 5/6 player games where map selections are limited.

SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:06 pm

• 1+

why not use the palace tile set?

Would be a fitting homage.
    anjovi

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:19 pm

• anjovi wrote:why not use the palace tile set?

Ahh yeah that reminds me, there is one (possibly two) giant rectangular palace maps that I've seen in realms (spacious 2v2 king battle), I've definitely taken a screenshot of it before, but I cant find it now (still searching).

..it's easily the biggest map in the game and is perfectly rectangular (fairly flat, some raised areas at the edges, vast open space in the middle) ..so there are some realm palace maps (outside of the pool of MP maps) that would be ideal for 6way MP arena games.
    Mazy

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:42 pm

• There was a flat hexagon map from one of the previous updates in which we had lots and I mean LOTS of maps before they disappeared.

This was map was basically a flat hexagon shaped with standard obstacles like rocks, trees and gaps.

But basically flat

I wish I knew the name of that map it was one of the best I ever played on.

Maybe the Devs would remember them since they never appeared again
    A Chaotic Wizard in a Chaotic World
    Grythandril

Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:12 am

• Mazy wrote:I've seen a large rectangular palace map in realms which would be ideal for 6way MP arena games.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... CFB163245/ ..This isn't the map I was referring to but it's reasonably close to it.

The palace map I'm thinking of is possibly slightly larger than this (in terms of surface area and length), it is literally shaped like a football field (with four right angled corners)..

..the two opposing teams of wizards start right at the back of each end (leaving a vast open battle field in between).. it's easily the closest thing to the original BoW map..

I can't remember which realm it is in, but I distinctly remember thinking wow that map plays out just like an oldschool Chaos game.
    Mazy

Return to Gameplay Discussion

Information