Invading should be anonymous

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:44 pm

• Just crossed my mind and thought I'd bump it. Was chatting with someone the other night and this came up (how invading should be anonymous)
    anjovi

Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:22 am

• Yes, invading anonymously worked very well, it was a really cool feature, possibly better than the current system, not that there's anything wrong with the current system, it's just the original implementation was a good example of getting it right first time, it perhaps didn't need changing.

The current system may deter some players from invading, for example I think the original ability to remain anonymous whilst invading was a good way of encouraging SP players into the MP environment (it was more accessible), but now it's just the same as other MP modes, it doesn't have the same uniqueness or accessibility..

..bear in mind that when you could remain anonymous as an invader there was always the option to reveal your identity anyway (via chat).. or remain incognito and have fun with that concept.

Perhaps both systems can co-exist? ..the option to remain an anonymous invader Or accept having your identity automatically revealed...

..Also, If the ability to invade anonymously is ever re-implemented I would suggest not allowing the invading players backer aura to apply to the wizard whose body they take over, because that was generally the thing that would usually give your identity away..

..it meant that, among friends, sometimes it was quite easy to narrow down who the invader was by noticing who was online and then recognising them by their lord, king or god aura, thus spoiling the charade.
    Last edited by Mazy on Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Mazy

Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:39 am

• I suppose another thing to keep in mind is that when in realms the stakes can become alot higher then a regular league game. This could trigger the occasional landmine player, who gets them hard feelings when you kill them and cause them to lose their realm.

I know theirs other awkward stuff related to this kind of thing (mainly having your name and public chat after the match is over)
    I think darksouls did it very very very smart. It gave the player name/ID but their weren't any chat functionalities in that game at all and the playerbase was so vast and obscured that you were basically just as anonymous if you were to invade.

In chaos, since it's more of a pvp/social thing with it's systems, I'd just simply take the '*Player's* name invaded!'

It did work better before, my guess is that it was just more an oversight then anything. hmmm....now what am i overlooking?...
    anjovi

Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:27 am

• I do miss the anonymity of invading, I don't really invade any more since it was changed (to transparent invasions).. Reckon anonymous invading could be re-implemented?
    Mazy

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:03 am

• Bump... Bring back anonymous invading :) ..it was a very cool feature, being a mysterious invader fitted the idea of being a 'realm pirate' better.

When you beam in as an invader you take on a disguise (by replacing an AI lord or king), there's not really any need to mention in the log who it really is.. it's a bit of a spoiler.

All the quester needs to know is that they have been invaded and the lord or king is human controlled.

Even new players I've spoken with about this like the idea of being able to invade covertly.
    Mazy

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:23 am

• Never really understood why it was changed.

It was fine as it was and was cooler for both invader and the person being invaded.

A lot of times it is fun to RP a bit with them by saying things like, 'How dare you come here to kill my king' and the likes.

But since the change it doesnt feel the same when they reply. 'oh hey gary'

Totally ruins a beautiful moment.
    R Tape loading error, 0:1
    gary
    DEMIGOD

Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:20 pm

• One other observation regarding this... In Realms, the realm log reveals the identity of the invader (and a teleport animation plays to signify the invasion).

..However, in the Duel format there are no such indicators, the duel log does not mention when an AI controlled player has invaded..

This creates a situation where new players who go straight to Duel for their first Chaos experience often use the chat to try to talk to their opponent not realizing it's an AI... So in Duel, invasions (by A.I's) actually need to be more transparent.
    Mazy

Mon May 15, 2017 3:55 pm

• that's a good point, though hopefully by the time of the next update, there will be a way to choose inbetween AI and human battles.

Otherwise, just thought of this again as i went in invading (tempted by a 600 gold payout) Just isn't the same as it was before the patch. So heres another bump.
    anjovi

Previous

Return to Current Version Discussion

Information