Classic mode costumes

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:15 pm

• Classic mode wizards wear equipped outfits, this is very confusing.. I know this is not a bug and was a design decision, I'm just saying classic armour was classic armour, a distinct armour that was neither vigilant, heroic or arcane (although it is, or was, technically 'apprentice arcane robes' both looks wise and stats wise).

This is probably a bad analogy but isn't this a bit like randomly giving creatures different skins occasionally, like giving a giant a goblin suit for some games..

There were 4 distinct armour types now there are 3 but now they don't represent what they actually are if you are using them in classic mode. Also there are now 12 staff types instead of 13, the classic models looked ok and defined the mode, classic staff was a staff type to, with a distinct flat boost rate.

I hadn't really thought about this change before it's actually happened.. first impression is it's a bit pointless and may cause a bit of a mode recognition issue. I play both modes an equal amount and I cant tell them apart anymore (easily anyway), surely the look of the wizard (bodygear/staff) was the biggest indicator as to what mode you were playing.

If you play by feel and you're looking directly at your heroic wizard whilst contemplating moves, you're instinct is to make a heroic move based on the talismans your heroic wizard is armed with.. except it's not heroic, it's classic mode but you've adopted a bodygear/staff from your inventory which you have not chosen.. the talismans and special abilities that go with the build (that you have designed for equipped) which you are now seeing in classic, don't exist..

I'll probably get used to it, just not sure it was the best solution to remedy the calls for personalised/customisable classic wizards.. I think players only wanted to be able to change the colours/tones/designs of classic robes rather than have the assets that are used for different distinct armours/staff types re-purposed.

Or is there an option to turn classic look on or off that I've missed?
    Mazy

Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:10 pm

• i agree
    for me its very confusing because i use dozens if setups and when i go through my asyncs i get confused with the classic games

so i would prefer one of 2 options:

1) elect a setup for classic
    2) make an option to have classic gear shown as default (as before)
    Stitchy

Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:21 pm

• I really like it :-)

The odd match aside I only really play Classic, so confusion isn't an issue. But for those who are playing equipped, can't you just make one build for Classic that looks different to the others that you're using? You'd avoid confusion if the only time you played with a Blue Wizard, for instance, was in

But I'm now finally able to play Chaos and feel like it's my character that's stepping out onto the battlefield rather than just a clone of everyone else. You could a poor mans version of this by letting players simply choose their wizard colour, but I think what snapshot have given us goes beyond what I'd expected and I'm over the moon. As side effect of this I've also now got a reason to forge and name gear, a reason to collect gear, and as a side effect of that I now care about getting Gold/Forge Crystals. I just wish I had more options to obtain those things via Classic Mode in the first place.

It's the vigilant builds that I like the look of btw, but then I always like wizard design 4 in the original, It's a bleedin relief to get out of those robes.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We'd love to embrace you!

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:59 pm

• i want to have 1 build for classic but atm it just takes what u have currently selected
    which in my case changes every 2 games
    the problem is that when i go through my asyncs i recognize the setup and think ah i need to play chaos but actually its a classic setup with law cards or w/e
    Stitchy

Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:27 pm

• Ahhh right, are you playing league or duels then?

With custom games you can select the load out whilst you're in the lobby.

EDIT - Okaaaay I get what you guys mean now. So you start a game and you appear as per your current loadout, but if you change your current loadout then your appearance changes for any games that you're in... that must be a bug, surely?

When a game starts your appearance should then endure for the whole of that game regardless of how the equipment/loadouts might afterwards be changed (same as equipped modes).

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We'd love to embrace you!

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:27 pm

Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:49 am

• an option to turn on/off would be the solution. I love the new classic costumes, but for those it confuses maybe they should be able to opt out.
    stubar

Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:44 pm

• I was pushing for this for a long time so glad its in. I look to see talismans or no talismans as my cue.
    ustolemytiger

Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:56 pm

• I find it confusing too, but maybe it's because I was used to the old way of things.

I think the most confusing thing is the staff... What about keeping the classic mode staff for classic mode battles? Still we could customize the look of our own classic mode staff, either in the forge or in a menu (cosmetic only: those sparkly effects and colors etc.) but keep the staff itself using the same classic staff model (that one that looked like a lantern on a stick).
    clef

Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:12 pm

• Yeah this does cause 'problems' (albeit first world problems! :) )

Honestly when I'm playing and looking at the board I'm factoring in which wizards are vigilant, which are heroic etc, I'm thinking about the stats which their armour reflects all the time (att/def/agility/mp), I'm thinking about the spells and boost levels that their staff represents...

...and then I click on an enemy wizard and realise I'm in a classic mode game and we all have the same stats and everything (I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed). I'm probably just hardwired to accept armour types at face value, I'll get used to it, but I cant help thinking this must be confusing for new players to (e.g, that gear that you forged, it has two sets of stats). I think I'm just not a fan of personalisation interfering with gameplay.

I'm not saying it's confusing or misleading enough to cause players to make bad errors in games or anything like that, although I have had a couple of near misses and almost made bad decisions based on the deceptive armour looks, I'm just saying its not a great design decision. Having said that, no worries, I don't have any alternative suggestions, I can adapt to this change.
    Mazy

Next

Return to Gameplay Discussion

Information