Classic mode costumes

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:06 am

Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:17 pm

• Still occasionally forgetting to use talismans in async equipped games due to assuming that it's actually a classic game that looks like an equipped game... Obviously this is player error, I accept that.. I'm just pointing out some the issues that arose from the design decision to disguise mode types, gear types, staff types (if you play both modes equally - equipped and classic).
    Mazy

Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:33 pm

• Mazy wrote:Still occasionally forgetting to use talismans in async equipped games due to assuming that it's actually a classic game that looks like an equipped game... Obviously this is player error, I accept that.. I'm just pointing out some the issues that arose from the design decision to disguise mode types, gear types, staff types (if you play both modes equally - equipped and classic).

Yes. I get confused by the gear. It seems an odd design choice, as the original intent with staves was to make them sufficiently distinct that they were discernable from the main game board. That's no longer true in Classic.

NoWorries
    GOD

Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:30 am

• I still think it looks brill, I feel like I'm playing as me when I play classic mode now.

Maybe a UI change is needed, something which shows the play which game mode their playing so that there's no confusion for anyone. A game mode header at the top of the screen perhaps?

Incidently, does anyone everpp mix up law and chaos modes in the same way?

Chief tentacle arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods .
    SpiteAndMalice

Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:00 pm

• SpiteAndMalice wrote:Maybe a UI change is needed, something which shows the play which game mode their playing so that there's no confusion for anyone. A game mode header at the top of the screen perhaps?

There is text in the upper left of the UI which indicates the game mode. Though not readily apparent. As someone who plays a lot of both Equipped and Classic, having my Equipped staff as my Classic staff can be off-putting when I'm going through 20-40 async matches.

NoWorries
    GOD

Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:06 pm

• SpiteAndMalice wrote:I still think it looks brill, I feel like I'm playing as me when I play classic mode now.

Maybe a UI change is needed, something which shows the play which game mode their playing so that there's no confusion for anyone. A game mode header at the top of the screen perhaps?

Incidently, does anyone everpp mix up law and chaos modes in the same way?

ye i do
    I think the people that play mixed modes all agree that it is confusing and yes the classic players need to be happy too
    So the fix is easy, just make one equipment slot called "classic" (or 2 of u want to be perfect; one for chaos classic and one for law classic)
    shouldnt be that hard tbh
    Stitchy

Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:30 am

• What's more off-putting is not so much my own staff (though it is, bouncing between modes). Rather, it's the staves of my opponents are misrepresenting themselves. After many hundreds of hours of gameplay, I'm wired to think that certain staffs will behave in certain ways. It's ingrained in my gameplay, as Snapshot intended. I.e., the reason why the staves were so distinct initially was to communicate clearly in a visual manner what their basic functions were. Mixing it all up now upends all of that.

That said, this is a UI issue. Other players will have different preferences. So, even simpler solution: allow players to toggle whether they see everyone with Classic Staves or their respetive Equipped Staves in Classic Mode. Everyone wins.

NoWorries
    GOD

Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:12 am

• ^^I agree! simple solution. Though I wonder from here, which one should be the default. A splash screen that asks players which way they want to view things.

"Do you want to see classic robes or the personalized robes of players?"

I would like to see the classic robes graphics used in equipped on some level.
    anjovi

Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:57 am

• This is still catching me out on a daily basis (only whilst taking async turns). I'm taking the armour types depicted across various games at face value, I make a move befitting the armour type shown, only to realize when it's too late that my wizard didn't have the stats associated with that particular customized gear and/or my opponent didn't have the stats associated with their armour type (the stats don't match the outfits).

If there was a toggle option to view classic games with standard/classic staff and classic bodygear I would definitely use it, for practical purposes ..if there were such a feature it would probably be the default setting with the option to be able to always have your forged/customized gear on view (to you only).

Obviously when players have their preference set to 'standard - classic for classic' this wouldn't affect anyone who has their preference toggled to 'equipped gear types always'

..hopefully it could work in the same way as the option to use 'fast animations' works, where a group of players in the same game see fast animations if they have fast animations selected and the players who don't have it selected see the animations in normal time.
    Mazy

Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:27 am

• & Here is today's necro.

I'm looking at adding an option to the cog menu "Display classic gear in classic games". It will default to off. It will only affect your own view of the game.
    CGR
    SNAPSHOT DEV

PreviousNext

Return to Current Version Discussion

Information