Law or Chaos?

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Incarnadine

Law or Chaos?

Post by Incarnadine » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:03 am

A quick questions about the new v0.17 release.

If i can only see 8 of my spells how can i decide if i want to push the game towards chaos or law or keep it neutral ?
PRETENAMA

goldendragon76

Re: Law or Chaos?

Post by goldendragon76 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:35 am

I was thinking the same thing when I was playing last night. I loved the law/chaos mechanic in the original version but this is spoilt somewhat in this update. As you mentioned you can't see all of your spells so you have no idea whether it would behoove you to make it lawful or chaotic. Consequently the law/chaos balance ends up moving incidently rather than by design.

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:45 pm

You've got less knowledge to be sure, whether that's a good or a bad thing I'm not so sure.

I was playing 2 vs 2 late last night and in one game me and Ped were very consciously pushing Chaos early doors and then trying (unsuccessfully) to push it back to law after he'd got his dragons out.

I think the whole dynamic will change again when we're in a position that we can see the full deck as well as the cards that are 'in hand'.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

Ped209

Post by Ped209 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:17 am

yeah, I posted a similar thing elsewhere, one of the key tactical decisions to make early on was how to influence the swing. If you've got a few of 1 type and loads of another do you get them out early then focus where you want it to go, or write them off as lucky punts later in the game (depending on whether they're high or low cast chance). Was always lots to consider.

Now I find I may only have 2 or 3 spells that I would consider 'valid' first turn spells, IE high chance of success, something to put off a potential early attack on me. There's always the early burn but I've not used it too much early game as it could bite you if don't capitalise on it.

When we are dealing with our own decks at least you know what else will be in there so you can make an informed choice, but when it's random it might be nice to see the full deck first then have it pick 8 spells for the hand.

Although I do quite like the tension of wondering what's gonna appear next but overall being able to formulate a plan is probably more useful.
Chaos Reborn Community/Tournament Website: http://www.lawandchaos.co.uk

Tess
GOD

Post by Tess » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:51 pm

As has been said, for most people playing with constructed decks this won't be an issue.

Even when the deck is random, or semi-random like Hearthstone arenas, I definitely think it's important to know what your whole deck looks like, even if you only get 8 spells to immediately work with. So much of the strategy of Chaos depends on knowing what you might be able to get out later in the game.

NoWorries
GOD

Post by NoWorries » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:13 pm

Added information: The level of a staff will likely correspond in some way to the size of a wizard's available spells hand. If you want more spells available in your wizard's hands, level up the staff or (maybe?) craft the staff to emphasize hand-size buffs rather than other abilities.

SlipperyJim

Post by SlipperyJim » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:46 pm

Moved the thread to Prototype Discussion for clarity of navigation :)

Regards,

Jim
The Battlemage!

gary is my master now...

Current Unicoin Total: 54.2

Twitter / Steam: SlipperyJim72