Two player maps are too small

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:32 am

• I've found that when playing 2 player maps recently that there is often not enough room to manouevre and that especially if you fail any early game casts you're put at a significant disadvantage because of this.

It's the first time I've really felt this, but being player 2 feels like quite a disadvantage at present.

Please could we have a bit of an increase to map sizes? Or, if not all of them, at least some variety in this respect.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:41 pm

• i agree

ok u can have one or two signature small maps but in general i would like to see the average 1v1 map bigger
    or at least have starting points moved further apart.

or the most ideal way:
    give players an editor and put their best maps in the ranked rotation (cant see it happen soon)

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:09 am

• Im under the impression that maps in general are too small. I'd personally just leave the law duel mode with them and change the rest back to larger map areas.

Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:34 am

• Honestly Id like a few of the 6 player maps to be added in the pool for 2 player games. Because I feel that if you add larger maps it lets other play styles become more prevalent. For example, players could try to actually push realm alignment in order to get a big creature out, because how often do you see a dragon that wasn't a hail marry in a 2 player game? But it also lets players who want to turtle a bit of time to actually set up some defenses.
    “You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never to get involved in a land war in Asia. And only slightly less well known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!"

Ign: Uvahash

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:56 pm

Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:27 pm

• I agree.

To put it into perspective, if you bind cleric talisman and windwalk you get a free hit + bolt at enemy at turn 2 which is totally unfair.

Maps should be bigger for 1v1s given all the talismans that effect ranges and move speed.

Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:10 pm

• currently turn 1 mount/pegasus is ridiculously overpowered coz of map size
    it castrates the game into a turn 3 bolt affair

Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:47 pm

• It's remarkable how many interesting aspects of game-play (positionally) got lost along with the 1v1 map reductions.. when you combine the map reduction changes with the reduction of burn cards change as well, both these changes leave the 1v1 format a shadow of its former self.

I compared all of the 1v1 map alterations whilst they were in beta.. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4684&start=10 .. and concluded that a lot of the emphasis on using terrain (height etc), and use of space, had been removed.. Where as before some maps offered different lines of attack (routes towards), now there was just one...

...basically the pool of 1v1 maps were homogenized, made slightly one dimensional and too small - unforgiving, unless you have hit-points and 100% chance of spell success.

Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:25 pm

• Having played a number of duels today, just wanted to bump this. Too often a single early failed cast can be the decisive factor on the smaller maps. There is little or no room to back off and to make good.

Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:28 pm

• Agreed! I feel like for Duel Law mode they work pretty good, but it trivializes the game mechanics for all other game modes as mazy mentioned. I feel like the solution would be:

1Keep the current maps to LAW DUEL/LAW RANKED
    2)Retrieve the old map layouts for CHAOS DUEL/CHAOS RANKED
    3)In custom games have a choice to use the CHAOS or LAW variant (or just have the map variant based on the game mode)

Return to Gameplay Discussion