I'd like a Line-of-sight indicator

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
RafiRomero

I'd like a Line-of-sight indicator

Post by RafiRomero » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:30 am

I think it would be great if I could click a tile, and see (e.g., via reasonably subtle highlighting), which other tiles I can see from it (and hence, which tiles can see me). It isn't currently obvious to me which things block LoS from where. E.g., compare with XCOM EU: the cover system there is totally obvious.
The movement/ranged attack indicators are great, something like that for LoS would be a huge help.

Ped209

Re: I'd like a Line-of-sight indicator

Post by Ped209 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:45 am

yeah, I'd mentioned something similar before.

One key thing that needs to be taken into consideration is that LoS is different for different creatures.

A mounted wizard has better LoS than a non mounted wiz for example. A dragon can probably see over things better than an elf.

my proposal was that you would select a creature/wizard click a LoS icon, then as you move your mouse over the board the hexes that can be seen from the hex you are hovering over are highlighted. This could then be used defensively and offensively by choosing either your units or an opponents then selecting the icon.

I think this would deal with all situations and wouldn't be too tricky to use.
Chaos Reborn Community/Tournament Website: http://www.lawandchaos.co.uk

RafiRomero

Post by RafiRomero » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:02 am

Ah, if LoS is different for different creatures that would make sense, yes!

RafiRomero

Post by RafiRomero » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:16 am

Thinking about that again, I wonder if it even makes sense for different creatures to have different LoS.
I know it is realistic, but I don't know if it is intuitive or fun... I guess having a massive dragon unable to see over a low hill is a bit stupid, but it is easier to understand one rule for everything (e.g., a massive dragon can't currently attack up two levels of elevation as far as I know).

Ped209

Post by Ped209 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:44 pm

I know what you mean, It possibly comes from the models seem to be mainly done on what'll fit onto a hex rather than on a universal scale.

For example if you had a dwarf and a centaur next to each other, should the dwarf actually come up to the centaurs knees?
Should the Giant only be roughly twice as high as a dwarf?

having said that the last update does seem to have tweaked a few things in that respect.

1 thing I wonder is whether or not any of the creature has to be visible or a specific part? for example if a wizard is 1 hex back from at the top edge of a 2 high cliff a giant or a dragon would stick up above the cliff easily, so I think it should be a target. But with the unicorn (particularly the new graphic) only the horn would be sticking up I think, should a deadly blow be possible?

To some degree as long as LoS/No-LoS can be established before any moves are made it doesn't matter too much to me, but coming up with rules/explanations of LoS could be very complicated depending on what is taken into account.
Chaos Reborn Community/Tournament Website: http://www.lawandchaos.co.uk