Dwarphanage

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Alarnoc

Re: Dwarphanage

Post by Alarnoc » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:01 am

Sephorin wrote:
Xarrion wrote:You could give them the 'Boromir Effect' - They become the only valid targets for enemy ranged attacks (whilst within attack range).
Nice! Another interesting idea to consider.
The "Boromir Effect", incredible. :D

I do like the idea of that mechanic.

Kahangriel
GOD

Post by Kahangriel » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:56 pm

Casting a dwarf is also useful if you want to raise Law in the world, in addition to being a good defensive spell. And if people want to burn them for mana, so be it. If dwarves were to become more powerful, then this discussion would move to zombies or possibly goblins.

Still, perhaps there could be a limit as to how many cards you can burn in one turn, or only allowing wizards to burn cards after turn x.
Who's that riding across the plain?
Who's lost count of the foes he's slain?
Who's the man who's plumb insane?
Kahangriel! Kahangriel! Kahangriel!

tors

Post by tors » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:42 pm

Kahangriel wrote:Casting a dwarf is also useful if you want to raise Law in the world, in addition to being a good defensive spell. And if people want to burn them for mana, so be it. If dwarves were to become more powerful, then this discussion would move to zombies or possibly goblins.

Still, perhaps there could be a limit as to how many cards you can burn in one turn, or only allowing wizards to burn cards after turn x.
A limit for burning cards would feel right.
I thought it was a bug when I first discovered that I was able to burn card after card until I got a good one to start with.
You should play the hand you were dealt!

NoWorries
GOD

Post by NoWorries » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:53 pm

Burning cards are self-limiting. Every card you burn is 1 less turn that you'll have a spell to cast. Burn 5 cards? Great. Better hope that you're getting out a Magic Bow buff, as you'll only have Disbelieve to cast after the 15th turn. :)

tors

Post by tors » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:16 pm

NoWorries wrote:Burning cards are self-limiting. Every card you burn is 1 less turn that you'll have a spell to cast. Burn 5 cards? Great. Better hope that you're getting out a Magic Bow buff, as you'll only have Disbelieve to cast after the 15th turn. :)
I haven't played so much but the times I have played 1 vs 1, the turn counter has not been close to 20. Maybe I'm doing something wrong... :)
In a 4 player game I would be less inclined to burn cards I guess.

Sephorin
GOD

Post by Sephorin » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:59 pm

I would agree with a limit on card burning, but I think a better idea would be not allowing a card burn to draw a new card from your deck. Burn one card? Now your hand is down to seven. Burn two? Now your hand is down to six.
Sephorin, living in service to the Goddess Ariianrhod since April, 1204.

RafiRomero

Post by RafiRomero » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:21 pm

I don't really feel like the card burning system has a problem the way it is, I don't think it needs further limiting (I agree that it is self-limiting). Also, I can't really think of any other cards I'd literally never cast except for dwarf (I'd cast dwarf to deny adjacency to my wizard I guess, but I'd usually rather cast something else). I feel like zombies (undead) and goblins (2 movement, decent attack and defence) have their uses. I don't want a powerful dwarf, just one with some attribute that makes me want to cast it. I don't feel I can really "waste" a turn trying to buff law or chaos by casting a "weak" unit unless I'm waaay back from the action. Even if I got 2 or 3 as-is dwarfs per cast, that'd be great (awesome for turtling if you're in a tight spot).

tors

Post by tors » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:51 pm

Perhaps one could toss the dwarf. Summon it a few hexes away from the wizard.

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:35 pm

I eagerly await dwarf-tossing tournaments.
Image Ace of Spades
(my latest Dragon Coins rare creature)
XBL | YT
2D or 3D artists, translators needed!

NoWorries
GOD

Post by NoWorries » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:42 am

I just ran a game for the sole purpose of experimenting on the dwarf... and I confirmed that a dwarf does not block line of sight for a bow attack. However, a zombie does. Therefore, a modest reform would be to give dwarves the ability to block line of sight attacks.