4 Way ELO

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:28 pm

• Am I correct in saying that ELO is affected by how many wizards you kill rather than where you place?
    Doofus

Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:39 pm

• Not sure, I think maybe both of those things are factored in somehow, number of kills and finishing place.. maybe?

It might be useful to have some info/stats available on how it works and how Elo is calculated across formats, so we have a rough idea of how much a 4way win is worth compared to a 1v1 win for example.. is one 4way win worth the same as four 1v1 wins?

I do wonder if each format should have a separate ranking/leaderboard, rather than combined Elo for all 3 (1v1, 3/4way). It's hard to tell if it is more beneficial to do only 4way or only 1v1 or a bit of everything, basically are all routes equally viable?
    Mazy

Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:32 pm

• Dude find out and let me know would ya? CHEERS
    Doofus

Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:46 pm

Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:02 pm

• 4 way is the most efficient way to get ELO.

My understanding is that ELO is based upon the number of wizards defeated and their current ELO ranking.

In that context, it's simple to do the math. If you win, you get a minimum credit for 3 victories. If you lose, you get penalized with just 1 loss. The beautiful thing of it all is that in the typical 4-way, opponents pair off early. So you only need to actually defeat 2 wizards in a typical 4-way to get credit for defeating 3 wizards.

In contrast, with a 1v1, you have to defeat every single wizard you face. Much less efficient, that.

NoWorries
    GOD

Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:26 pm

• So if I kill 2 high ranked wizards then lose to the 4th is that more ELO than killing the last low ranked wizard but winning the 4 way?
    Doofus

Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:45 pm

• I'm pretty sure it's all or nothing. You have to win the match to get credit for winning. Maneuvering so the the two strongest enemy wizards destroy each other so you can pick off the survivor is the better tactic.

NoWorries
    GOD

Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:34 pm

• Best tactic to win but a lower elo rating?
    Doofus

Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:34 am

• NoWorries wrote:I'm pretty sure it's all or nothing. You have to win the match to get credit for winning. Maneuvering so the the two strongest enemy wizards destroy each other so you can pick off the survivor is the better tactic.

This is assuming that you don't get manoeuvred into having to face off against the two strongest wizards yourself ;-)

All other things being equal; In a 4 player game you've a 25% chance of winning the match.
    In a duel it's a 50% chance.

If you play 4 four way games, you will on average win 1 and lose 3. 3 wizards defeated, but 3 times defeated yourself.
    If you play 4 duels, you will on average win 2 and lose 2. 2 wizards defeated, but 2 times defeated yourself.

Chief tentacle arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods .
    SpiteAndMalice

Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:54 am

• After reading this thread from top to bottom several times I have reached the conclusion that nobody knows the answer, thanks for your participation.
    Doofus

Next

Return to Current Version Discussion

Information