4 Way ELO

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:02 am

Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:21 am

• lol I'm none the wiser Worto .. I guess the thing that is causing confusion here is that during the stars phase you can earn bonus stars for each individual kill that you make during a game (I think this is still the case?). So individual kills are awarded on some level (which is great), I don't know if their Elo is taken into account at that stage (but the general rule seems to be that you can earn more stars and more elo in 4ways).

It still kinda looks to me like maybe the 4way competition should be separate from the 1v1 competition (separate leader-boards), I really don't know though... If any info about how it's calculated does come to light it would be interesting to work out once and for all if there's any advantage in competing in 4way games only as opposed to 1v1 games only.

One issue I have with the system as a whole is it seems to throw up some unusual results, it's probably a fairly accurate system though. My perception of how it all works is probably inaccurate, I don't know what it's like now but sometimes players with superior win records (and win rates) were finishing below players with inferior records, also it seemed possible to beat someone 3 or 4 times (or more) and still finish below them..

Elo is probably the only viable system for the format but the thing I don't particularly understand about it is (and this is just my uneducated observation) you can gradually take chunks of Elo off of someone by beating them a few times, but they pretty much only need to beat you once to take it all back again (almost cancelling out your head to head record - because the earlier victories gave you higher Elo and them lower Elo, you were then the bigger scalp to take when you met again later and lost)

...therefore it seems like even if you have a 3-1 or 4-1 record over a player (a fairly comprehensive record in your favour), you can both pretty much have similar Elo ratings, they may even have a higher rating than you if they have played more games over the season.
    Mazy

Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:56 am

• To sum up if I may.

Nobody knows, apart from NW’s who secretly doesn’t know either but is claiming he does to impress his online wife SAM.
    Doofus

Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:05 pm

• Mazy wrote:lol I'm none the wiser Worto .. I guess the thing that is causing confusion here is that during the stars phase you can earn bonus stars for each individual kill that you make during a game (I think this is still the case?).

This should only be the case in the event of ties. You get a bonus star only for a winning streak. In a 4FFA, you gain a base of 3 stars for winning even if you directly kill only the 2nd place wizard who killed the other 2 wizards. And that 2nd place wizard will lose 1 star even after having killed 2 other wizards before losing. A loser is still a loser. (Unless things were changed when I wasn't looking and misinterpreted how I ascended the League ladders recently.)

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:39 am

• I am inclined to completly believe NW, I consider the matter settled unless I hear otherwise from anybody else ever and it sounds believable.
    Doofus

Previous

Return to Gameplay Discussion

Information