Victory screen should show ELO change

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:03 pm

• +1 Good idea :-)

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• Yeah that's a great idea, more transparency would help players understand the system, it could also help understand what's going on in games that feature 3 or more players to..

..you would be able to see how many points are earned, or lost, in a draw, if there's any reward for survival and if there's any reward for killing wizards but not ultimately winning.

It would be very interesting to see the differing amounts of Elo you win against different types of opponents (or against the same opponent multiple times over the course of the season).

The problem I have with the structure overall is that arbitrary number, Elo, doesn't really tell you anything, there's no way of telling how it is broken down by format played (1v1, 3/4way) ..plus there's a big difference between live and async, but the results from all these different formats are lumped together.

Number of games played is shown which is useful, and overall win record is shown, which is good ..but it's impossible to ever know how much Elo was earned or lost from players timing out in asyncs, which I'm guessing happens a lot more now since the number of async slots was increased..

..Theoretically it is possible for a player to simultaneously time-out in up to 40 games, which can mean any number of wins going to one player (or one group of players) if they were drawn with that same person multiple times.

There's no way of knowing how many games the game creator (host) was given first turn advantage due to the host always being player one bug (instead of a randomised starting order), theoretically a player can be the first to act in 40+ async 1v1 games (if they set up that many games in a continuous block, maxing out all available slots).

There's also no way of knowing how much Elo was farmed by constantly playing (and re-matching in live games) new/low level players.. the Elo earned from such mismatches may be lower but it all adds up when re-matching.

I don't know if there's any way of showing these factors which decide a season, but more transparency about Elo calculations would be a start.
    Mazy

• I agree with most of the points but people are going a little over the top in their criticisms for me.. I have played tons of live and async league games. Players that time out are very rare. It happened last week to me in 3-4 games with one player but before that it hadn't happened for a month or more.

The first turn issue doesn't become such an issue if you play different formats. One guy might have lots of slots for Classic Chaos but he doesn't play Classic Law, for example. With the larger games it is almost always a mix of people starting first. Once I did have a guy starting first on a lot of 1v1 async Classic Chaos games. The way around this is to start a few games only and see what happens. Start more games the next day. Go for different formats and you won't have a problem.

On the point about mismatching with 'lower ability' players. Personally, I see quite a bit of snobbery in Chaos Reborn. There is a perception among certain players that you shouldn't play live league games or set them up because of an imbalance or lack of experience on the part of a new player. This game is dying and yet people are moaning about playing new people!! We should be encouraging new people to play and get better. How can they get better? They get better by playing good players.. not robotic AI on duel all the time.

As an extension of this, I think going in the opposite direction and *always* being matched up with players on the same level as you on league async is very boring and gets stale quite quickly. Last month on async I was playing the same players most of the time. blobka and Bos were on async and I didn't even know it! They were never matched up with me until right at the end of the month. I think somewhere in the middle is the right place to be - playing experienced players, newbies and everyone else.

Just some thoughts!
    Yogicfire

• Yogicfire wrote:Players that time out are very rare. It happened last week to me in 3-4 games with one player but before that it hadn't happened for a month or more.

For my part, I don't play league games at all because I know that I would time out in them. I go away at least once per month and a weekend being absent from the game (Friday morning to Sunday evening) means that I'd go over the 2 day turn limit in every match I'm in.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Return to Gameplay Discussion

Information