Things the AI still doesn't recongnise

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.

• I'm playing a couple of 2v4 games against the AI at the moment. I thought it'd be useful to note down the obvious AI mistakes and exploits as we come across them.

Tangle Vine can be used as a decoy - We were playing on Mana Piscine, I laid down Vine early on the game, and then we both went in the opposite direction around the map, the AI concentrated far too much on chopping down the Vines, to the extent that it's wizards weren't actually being backed up their creatures.

The AI isn't recognising wizards within Magic Wood as a threat. One just wandered into bolt range as, we think, it only saw the tree and not the wizard in it. Should the AI look at Woods in the same way it sees mounts?

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• I think the magic wood thing has been fixed (but the fix not deployed yet).
    Were you playing >= level 12 AI? I haven't seen that going for vine unless it can't find a path around (or coincidentally ends up adjacent)?
    RafiRomero

• RafiRomero wrote:Were you playing >= level 12 AI? I haven't seen that going for vine unless it can't find a path around (or coincidentally ends up adjacent)?

Yeah, it was 12s.

There wasn't a path around, but it still wasn't the right thing for it to be doing for so long. ID 899458 if you want to see it.

SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• Mounts: AI is far too fidgety when it comes to mounts, on and off, on and off. Even when it means staying on the mount would finish the game, ie: hops off and sends manticore to one of my adjacent tiles, when their combined attack would have finished me.

Zombies: AI could use an upgrade around the dangers of the modern day zombie and his/her ability to raise the dead.

Wings: It is far too easy, especially when employing foliage, to get next to an AI wizard. and most of us have a system in place wherein that = game over.

In simplest turns, the AI simply keeps throwing it's forces at you with little understanding of strategy. It marches in when it shouldn't and basically depends on overwhelming it's opponents with numbers. The higher you go in Duels > the higher it's mana boost > thereby increasing the chance to overwhelm. There are any numbers of ways to improve upon this.

Disillusion: too predictable in terms of when the AI attempts. There are some spells that are hardly ever disillusioned > and some that are always attempted. this can be used against the AI because the AI will attempt the disillusion at the wrong times, ie: when they are imminently threatened.

just a few off the top my noggin

-aka
    Aka

• larksleep wrote:
    Zombies: AI could use an upgrade around the dangers of the modern day zombie and his/her ability to raise the dead.

We noticed this too - One of my AI team mates in a 3v3 kept leaving rats in range of zombies when it had no need to.

SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• yeah the zombie stuff is a pretty obvious exploit. If there was at least one behavior to incorporate into the AI it'd just be simply keeping units out of range of it (especially if their is a high chance or obvious chain combo that an opponent can use in law mode)

ex: a unicorn + zombie in range = 0>Health for creature = 95% chance for AI to keep creature out of range

then to mitigate magic attacks:

A zombie + whatever other creature + magic attack = 0>Health for creature = 75% chance for AI to keep creature out of range

Perhaps this number could be adjusted for the severity or how much HP value goes below 0....using law mode to do this, you could just transfer the behavior to a hopefully appropriate AI behavior for chaos mode.
    anjovi

• anjovi wrote:Perhaps this number could be adjusted for the severity or how much HP value goes below 0....using law mode to do this, you could just transfer the behavior to a hopefully appropriate AI behavior for chaos mode.

I think I'd prefer it if Chaos mode didn't get Law mode's sloppy seconds when it came to AI behaviours.

SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• That's beside the point. You could easily just flip everything i just said so that your tweaking it from chaos mode to law mode, but it wouldn't change anything. The idea is that in this particular case (with zombies) said behavior would probably be an improvement across both modes (possibly, with a corresponding effect)

Though on second thought it wouldn't....overlooked the chained Hp stuff in comparison to the 1 hit scenario.
    Perhaps simply taking that line of logic out of my proposal would provide a suitable tweak/carry over for chaos mode.

While my mistake in my 1st paragraph is fresh in mind....hehe
    I'd be curious to see some examples on how snapshot has switched up law mode ai from chaos mode, since the first release.
    anjovi

• Another issue is getting a deeper understanding of what to target. For instance, AI castes a Magic Attack of some magnitude, but understands a sense of hierarchy in terms of what makes sense strategically, instead of attacking a totally healthy hellhound and reducing its health > target the one that is already injured and will be dead. dead. dead. etc
    Aka

• larksleep wrote:Another issue is getting a deeper understanding of what to target. For instance, AI castes a Magic Attack of some magnitude, but understands a sense of hierarchy in terms of what makes sense strategically, instead of attacking a totally healthy hellhound and reducing its health > target the one that is already injured and will be dead. dead. dead. etc

Complicated also by the fact that such magic attacks can make sense in Chaos Mode as opposed to Law mode.

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

Next

Return to Gameplay Discussion

Information