The Future of Gold

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:33 pm

• Mazy wrote:In the time it takes to earn around 1000 crystals via the 'non Duel path' you can earn around 4 times that by playing mostly Duels..

It depends how strong the player is. Players who can only handle the low-level or mid-level AI, or players who are not adept at PvP, are perhaps better served focusing on low-level Realms.

That said, players who regularly can achieve a Duel Level 10+ will earn a fair few forge crystals.

NoWorries
    GOD

Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:33 pm

• gary wrote:you can already convert gold in to crystals though.

Which is another point in favor of consolidating the currencies. :)

NoWorries
    GOD

Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:36 am

• I imagine there's valid answers to this question from conversations i've not been a part of, but i guess i'm questioning the economy from a broader scope. Meaning, what is the idea behind not just the way the economy is currently setup, which most of us would probably agree has too much redundancy and not enough market, but what would be the ideal economy in terms of making the game as fun as it can be? Gold and Crystals essentially equal the degree of customization you are able to achieve. The economy is setup to reward gameplay with the ability to customize. But the success of the gaming experience is connected to the community's ability to play the game creatively, so the more customization (within the games framework) > the better the experience > not just for the individual, but the entire community, which essentially thrives on variety of styles and gameplay.

So what good does it do to make the ability to customize more difficult?

Again, I don't really know much about this topic other than my own experience with the game, but my feeling is that while aspects of the economy could be tightened up a bit here and there, in some ways it seems like the maintenance of an economy for the sake of having one rather than a mechanism to make the game more fun. Currently, I have a habit of dueling a certain amount to keep the coffers full, so that when I want to burn through half a dozen builds in a couple days, i can do so without concern of running low. If this weren't the case, if I just had unlimited access to all of the game's forging etc, would the game suffer in some way? Or conversely, if it were more difficult to earn my ability to customize, what would that gain the community?

-Aka
    Aka

Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:32 pm

• I suppose a good question along those lines would be to ask...
    Do you play Duel mode rather then ranked mode due to the reward system? or
    Would you prefer ranked mode if a reward system similar to duel mode was implemented?

Might seem unrelated, but having a tighter organization of league play could possibly play a role in improving the general activity of the game (including economy) If duel mode was just played in order to grind for stuff, couldn't a small level/reward system (even daily rewards) just be tweaked into the main league modes?

only loose end i could think of is the mandatory 1min turn limit. I'm wondering if players would value the higher concentration of more players into one game mode then having 2 separate game modes for this 1 difference.

All I'd say about tweaking rewards would be to just keep it within a reasonable limit. Mainly just mentioning this as it's probably a variable that devs probably would like to keep track of more than anything. I personally wouldn't really worry about reinvigorating it at this point, as it doesn't really seem to be worth it at this point. Maybe some slight tweaks to tone down the mental dissonance in new players a bit (ones who might feel like their progressing too fast)..heh

But i feel that if you simply lopped off duel mode, and merged it's reward system with the ranked mode, that other tweaks to the overall game could be relatively simple, as you'd be taking emphasis off of the economy and more onto the ranks and just general game.
    anjovi

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:21 pm

• larksleep wrote:So what good does it do to make the ability to customize more difficult?

There has always been a tension between players who want a sense of progression and players who just want to play how they want to play when they want to play.

Back in the day, there was only gold and the Forge only allowed Forgemaster backers to forge two pieces of equipment. The original idea was that players could find the equipment forged by Forgemasters and acquire diversity that way. Eventually, the Forge was unlocked and Forge Crystals introduced in a manner that was compromise between players oriented toward progression and those oriented to just-play. Karma was introduced most recently as a means to reward social-oriented play behavior for those who seek to progress up the social ranks.

For me, I'm progression-oriented. It was in some ways fun for me to hunt for all of the talismans and try to find just-the-right staff and robe before the Forge was unlocked and Duels were introduced as a quicker way to get your last few talismans. I recognize that this is not for everyone.

In the end, I think it could be more interesting if there were just one currency. Potentially easier to balance rewards that way, too. Though costs may need serious re-adjustments. This is likely not going to happen.

NoWorries
    GOD

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:07 am

• i say

gold should be used to buy a reset (u need level 100 and 100k gold)
    lose all gold all level all gear
    except u get some cosmetic thing and a star next to your name

at 5 stars you become insane and get hospitalized, where u can sit next to gary all day

for the cosmetic reward i say u get to choose a new paint color to add to your palette

something like this would add some more progression

the only problem i have is how to save all my configs, i might have to make screenshots
    Stitchy

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:23 am

• in fairness, its a darn comfy sofa :)
    R Tape loading error, 0:1
    gary
    DEMIGOD

Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:15 am

Previous

Return to Current Version Discussion

Information