1.12.2Duel A.I only option via (flicking A.I box on)

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.

• So the idea for A.I being in duel mode at all is to mitigate having down time between matches (due to not having enough players available)

Though you still have to wait a minute before your allowed to play at a minimum...I'm thinking that A.I should be an option you tick off when you want an A.I to play immediately, and you leave it off if you want to try matching up with a human.

If the A.I box is ticked off and you have no humans, the game could simply suggest that you tick the A.I box on, or simply have a 'Ok there's no humans online...do you want to play an AI instead?' prompt.

Just seems like a more intuitive approach and thought the idea merited its own thread.
    anjovi

• I also thought clicking the A.I. button meant choosing to face an A.I. opponent only (and figured that would mean an instant match).

So the only two options are..

a) Play versus a human opponent only and never be matched with an A.I. (which would result in never be matched at all during off-peak times and also when the only available humans are playing law mode).

b) Try to be matched with a human but don't mind playing an A.I. if a human isn't available (still not an instant match).

..Reasons why a third option to play an A.I. opponent only would be good..

-An instant competitive match which players could grind for XP/gold/crystals.

-The whole concept of testing how long you can go unbeaten in Duel works better when you're playing an A.I. opponent because the A.I.'s have an escalating difficulty, therefore the Duel level you reach reflects your actual skill level (versus an A.I. makes it a genuine daily challenge mode, the conditions are the same and consistent for all players).

-A lot of the PP fig backers with free CR keys are only expressing an interest in all things SP/PvE. Therefore realms will be their first (and perhaps only) port of call, they will form an opinion of CR based on this SP experience, if it's not 'Wizard Xcom' and doesn't cut it for them they will most likely not become regular players.

However there might still be hope for these PvE players if the main challenge mode at the forefront of the game (Duel) had flexible options to be matched with a human only, an A.I. only or either.. Duel would then be the best place to solo grind no matter what your preference (making it 2 min turns would also make the PvP aspect of it more viable).

Even if you do like the SP, once you've completed it the solo grind ends there, job done, leaving you in limbo (literally).. replaying realms gets stale because they aren't random, where as playing A.I.'s in Duel is random, and playing against a different random load-out every match was one of the biggest selling points in the CR prototype.
    Mazy

• There also comes the thing with ranked duel, which is gret to finally have.

Should streak counts be based on playing real players only, a mix of Ai and real or just Ai

For example

Two players both have runs of 20 wins.

One of the has a high percentage of their games against real players, the other against Ai

So which is the more impressive run

Given there is no match making then the run again real players could be against foes that are new to the game or of a lower skill level. while the run against the Ai means there is an increasing level of difficultly. You could also be in the situation of a run against real players then you get a high level Ai because you have had a good run but that could stop it cold if the Ai does its turn 1, 2, and 4 mega spell gimmick. Does this then mean there should be two score tables?

I totally welcome the addition of duel being more than just a crysta/goldl farm, which it will still be to some extent, but it feels there should be a more consistant approach to it.
    R Tape loading error, 0:1
    gary
    DEMIGOD

• Oh wow there's a leader-board for it now? I didn't notice that.. If that's the case, results versus A.I.'s and results versus humans probably do need to be treated differently.

It's two completely different formats, one type of opponent has pre-activated talismans and has an escalating mana allowance, the A.I. opponent becomes harder to beat the more you win (ideal for daily challenge style leader-boards).

..the other type of opponent (human) will have fluctuating levels of experience.

Also, win streaks in chaos mode are different from win streaks in law mode, they are very different games, one mode is virtually a modded version of the game, a modded version of a game isn't that comparable to the un-modded version.

..On the subject of mixed mode leader-boards, It could also be argued that mixing 1v1, 3way and 4way together in ranked leader-boards is problematic to, the lack of transparency and confusion surrounding the combined Elo calculations for each format deters me slightly from playing in ranked seasons.
    Last edited by Mazy on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Mazy

• What i've noticed is that only player vs player matches get ranked, AI stuff doesn't...which is great!

Why not allow AI dueling to be an option and simply don't add AI matches to the rank?
    You get the best of both worlds..

You keep the ranks consistent (player vs player) while allowing pve players to utilize this system for levelling up/grinding/endless replayability.

Seems like a win win all around
    anjovi

• anjovi wrote:What i've noticed is that only player vs player matches get ranked, AI stuff doesn't...which is great!

Oh ok, that makes sense.

I thought that table was some kind of guilds thing, I was wondering why my name wasn't appearing on it after AI duels.
    Mazy

• Having two leaderboards would be good - It is seperate game modes. (Even four if you consider that there's Law/Equipped options).

On a different note, the whole presentation of stats needs looking at, it's nice to see them embedded in the page, but they're all over the place at the moment.

Should there be a main page tab where all stats sit?

And how about a news ticker showing the most recent competition victories?

SPITE NIGHT 21! - Thursday 22 JUne at 20:00 GMT on the Chaos Reborn discord channel.

Chief tentacle arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• With a match option to play a human or AI, you need to have a delay. If you instant match with the AI if a human isn't available then every player would be instant matched with the AI.

To that end; what it needs is three options:

Human only
    AI only
    I don't care (and then it's human if available, with an AI match up after the delay).

SPITE NIGHT 21! - Thursday 22 JUne at 20:00 GMT on the Chaos Reborn discord channel.

SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• Still don't see why you can't just have the AI button correspond strictly to AI duels.
    If I untick the box, it'll wait until a player is available and I can choose how long i wait for a human player.

If i'm done waiting, I can simply tick on the AI box and get an immediate game.

I agree that the score board stuff needs looking at...might try my hand at a thread in a minute or 2
    anjovi

• anjovi wrote:Still don't see why you can't just have the AI button correspond strictly to AI duels.
    If I untick the box, it'll wait until a player is available and I can choose how long i wait for a human player.

If i'm done waiting, I can simply tick on the AI box and get an immediate game.

I agree that the score board stuff needs looking at...might try my hand at a thread in a minute or 2

Actually, yeah you might be right there.

SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Return to Current Version Discussion

Information