Beta Testing

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:58 pm

• @Rafi @CGR et al

Having taken a run-thru the new beta test, played some multi games, read through the forum posts, and talked with a few players, I have a larger process question in terms of next steps. Maybe it's more of seeing a need for a conversation to take place regarding the testing phase.

My understanding is that there's a pretty tight budget in terms of hours spent on advancing CR. But I also know the community is quite special in terms of love for the game, skillsets, etc. The current process format for testing as I see it playing out, is that players are checking out the new beta and coming back here to report on the various bugs or alternative fixes. I imagine someone on the developer end will look through as much of this as possible and attempt to incorporate what they can with the time they've got. But that seems like a bit of a rat's nest to me.

Seems to be potential here, with some energy spent on the front end, of putting some more structure in place to utilize the resources we have at hand (the willing player base and kick a** developers) and get a more effective process out of the mix.

One such idea could be to organize an advanced testing team. Break the game up into sections. Assign sub-teams of the advanced testing team to sections based on interest/skillset. Each sub-team deep-dives into their respective section, has space to communicate amongst themselves, makes an organized list of bugs, and proposes 1 compiled subset of alternative fixes or whatnot based on real (or semi-real) possible implementation.

I would personally be happy to put some time in on an advanced testing sub-team. But there needs to be some initial work in setting up such a system to ensure it is properly organized and efficiently/effectively implemented etc.

Anyway, just some thoughts.....

-Aka
    Aka

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:32 pm

• larksleep wrote:@Rafi @CGR et al

Having taken a run-thru the new beta test, played some multi games, read through the forum posts, and talked with a few players, I have a larger process question in terms of next steps. Maybe it's more of seeing a need for a conversation to take place regarding the testing phase.

My understanding is that there's a pretty tight budget in terms of hours spent on advancing CR. But I also know the community is quite special in terms of love for the game, skillsets, etc. The current process format for testing as I see it playing out, is that players are checking out the new beta and coming back here to report on the various bugs or alternative fixes. I imagine someone on the developer end will look through as much of this as possible and attempt to incorporate what they can with the time they've got. But that seems like a bit of a rat's nest to me.

Seems to be potential here, with some energy spent on the front end, of putting some more structure in place to utilize the resources we have at hand (the willing player base and kick a** developers) and get a more effective process out of the mix.

One such idea could be to organize an advanced testing team. Break the game up into sections. Assign sub-teams of the advanced testing team to sections based on interest/skillset. Each sub-team deep-dives into their respective section, has space to communicate amongst themselves, makes an organized list of bugs, and proposes 1 compiled subset of alternative fixes or whatnot based on real (or semi-real) possible implementation.

I would personally be happy to put some time in on an advanced testing sub-team. But there needs to be some initial work in setting up such a system to ensure it is properly organized and efficiently/effectively implemented etc.

Anyway, just some thoughts.....

-Aka

+1

SPITE NIGHT 21! - Thursday 22 JUne at 20:00 GMT on the Chaos Reborn discord channel.

Chief tentacle arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:47 pm

• It could be nice to at least get specific areas the devs would appreciate more extensive testing. Although i can't really commit to putting in real substantial time with it, perhaps some direction might be a good way to get the most relevant feedback.

Any plans on making updates to this beta branch as the week goes on?
    anjovi

Return to Current Version Discussion

Information