Naming mercs & pheonix point backers...

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.

• So i find it odd that:
    One of the most highly regarded features of xcom, and what is even advertised in the pheonix point campaign as a staple feature is missing from the single player portion of chaos reborn. :o ( :lol: )

For me, this little feature does SO MUCH! it's like if your roleplaying d&d or something and didn't have character names. Or like if your xcom games didn't have soldiers with names or a way to change their names.

I wonder if there is enough time to implement a small feature were you could simply tag a merc with a name of your choosing....Even if it was limited to your screen (i.e other invaders/allies not being able to see 'dick balls' or 'gnardwarts', when someone occasionally names them so)

Context: I was testing a realm on the beta branch (which seems to be working fine) and had 2 story characters and 1 paladin who i recruited from the town and got attached to, having died a fight following an epic showdown with a chaos wizard. Just doesn't seem right that i couldn't name the paladin fellow...

I've taken it upon myself to put my graphic/game design chops to the works, and have come up with the following proposition:

rename.png

Someone's gotta fix this! ;)
    anjovi

• It'd be a good way to identify them in battle too.

I think I'd sooner the realm designer be the one to name them rather than the player though.

Likewise for Marauding Wizards and the Realm King's assistant in the palace battle.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• Yeah, creature naming is cool.. there have been some legendary named mercs whose names will echo through eternity.

Elmekia's latest realm tugged on my heart strings a bit.. (spoilers) the mercs you receive are the young survivors of a goblin genocide :( ..give them individual names and the responsibility of keeping them alive rests even heavier.
    Last edited by Mazy on Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Mazy

• Aw! Now I just want to see this even more, and storm the evil elf king's palace with some named goblin orphans! Reap justice for the little fellers!

Another fun thing could be having streamers/lets players name their mercs after certain audience members. Another game I found fun for naming people was darkest dungeon....sadly enough, it was probably the only feature that kept me going (the gameplay wasn't the greatest after awhile) *ex. being able to name folks who oddly resembled family members...watching an inlaw become devoured by some forgotten horror in a different dimension still comes to mind when thinking of that game :lol:
    anjovi

• anjovi wrote:being able to name folks who oddly resembled family members...watching an inlaw become devoured by some forgotten horror in a different dimension still comes to mind when thinking of that game :lol:

lol
    Mazy

• naming.png
    naming.png (18.48 KiB) Viewed 125 times

here's a bit of a polish on the concept 8-) (The diamond thingy is where you'll click if you want to edit the text box)
    anjovi

Return to Gameplay Discussion

Information