Why Icarus Towers being classed as creatures is problematic

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.

• After the update which added a raft of non-creature spells, the pool of available cards from which decks drew from was increased.. this diluted the pool of creature spells. There was a re-balance patch shortly after which addressed the resulting deck dilution issue (the card draw mechanism was tweaked a bit).

The re-balance did an ok job of ensuring decks were roughly 50/50 (half creature cards, half non-creature cards). I've noticed decks tend to swing between 60% creatures at most (not a particularly high number) to 40% creatures at worst (perhaps still borderline too low).

..However, the abundance of non-creature spells can still occasionally give the impression that they are pushing a lot of the staple 'Chaos' cards (which largely consisted of creature based spells) out of the deck, therefore hands like these are not that uncommon..
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... EF9C773BE/
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 64BF3671D/

..In that last example (the law staff one) I had a total of 5 or 6 creature cards in my entire deck (out of 20 cards), so the entire deck consisted of 75% non-creature spells and 25% creature based.. which is a tangible lack of creatures.

I think the reason why sometimes decks appear to have a dearth of creatures is due to Icarus Towers being classed as creature spells.. I'm guessing that because of their 'creature' status the card draw mechanism counts them as creature spells..

..In the example shown above (the 25% creature deck) I had 2 Icarus Towers in my hand, so as far as the game is concerned I had 7 or 8 'creatures' in my deck, therefore the game would see my deck as 60% non-creatures and 40% creatures (within the usual parameters, but still a tad low).

..This for me is why Icarus shouldn't be considered a creature, because it can cause an already diluted deck (full of meteors/paralyse/bolt towers/crystal wall/totems etc) to look even worse. I understand partly why Icarus towers were given creature status in the first place but players wont necessarily class towers as creatures..

..they are more like mobile tower defence emplacements, even if we were to give them the hybrid status of being a structure AND a creature, at least for the purposes of the card draw mechanic make the game recognize them as non-creatures (structures), this could go some way to fixing any left over deck dilution issues that still remain.

I think on the whole the creature to non-creature spell ratio in decks isn't too bad, It just seems when Icarus towers start turning up in a deck which is already quite light on creatures they are effectively pushing other possible creature cards (actual creature cards that could have been drawn instead) out of the deck..

Icarus towers seem way too prominent in decks anyway (compared to the other situational non-creature spells) it's very common to draw one or two in a deck, I would advocate tuning them down a touch but more importantly reclassifying them as 'non-creature cards'..

..this would perhaps ensure an extra creature card or two in your deck instead.. rather than have another tower/structure push a valuable creature card out of your deck.
    Mazy

• I actually thought it 'was' classed as a structure.

To which if not, then +1 it should be.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We'd love to embrace you!

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• they are marked as structures i believe but yeah i am sick of the sight of them.

Also, the agility stat it was need to go.
    R Tape loading error, 0:1
    gary
    DEMIGOD

• Yes I should have clarified it a bit better, I think it is tagged as a 'structure' as one of its card traits/characteristics (in the same way that other creatures are tagged 'flyers', 'mounts', 'undead' etc) but its overall card type is 'creature'..

..so for example on creature staff, Icarus is among the list of cards that you have an increased chance of drawing because the actual spell type is defined as 'creature'.. It is also linked to marksman and flyers to (I think).

So I'm wondering if there is some way to make its structure status more dominant so that its function as a structure overrides it's creature status when the random deck is drawn, then the game would perhaps not draw too many structures in the same deck..

..for example in a game last night I drew 5 or 6 structure spells, I don't know how the card draw works exactly but I'm guessing that the reason why I drew that many could have been because the game was counting the totems and bolt tower as structures and the Icarus Towers as creatures.. where as the player just sees a deck which contains 25% structures.
    Last edited by Mazy on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Mazy

• there is no debate here though

is it a creature - no

is it a structure - yes

there is no ambiguity

were its anti aircraft guns being carted about on a camels back then yes, there would be that ambiguity/hybrid

but it isnt, its a structure

end of
    R Tape loading error, 0:1
    gary
    DEMIGOD

• +1 for altering Icarus into genetic monstrosity:

gary wrote:anti aircraft guns being carted about on a camels back
    Aka

• great observation!
    Toning down non creatures, at least to avoid hand outs like those sounds like a good plan.

Alternatively, some new creatures could be gold! Illusion killing wasps!
    anjovi

Return to Gameplay Discussion

Information