agreeing to play ranked league live

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:37 pm

• is against the spirit of the rank system

If u are able to control who you are playing against you can obviously avoid difficult players and pick on easier
    now i know this is a problem because of the low playercount but i think ppl should voluntarily refrain from doing this
    Especially the veterans among us, even though im sure they are not trying to exploit the system they should not encourage anyone to do this, i have seen questionable invites in the past (as in: a level 80 inviting a bunch of lvl 2 and 3s to go play live ranked)

just play friendly imo
    Stitchy

• Given the player levels, I think it's fair to announce that you will be (or are) waiting in a match queue, whether Duel, League, or Custom. Interested players might miss each other entirely. People aren't prone to wait endlessly for a match otherwise. Perhaps if live League match requests were announced the same way as Realm ally or invader opportunities, then we might have greater flexibility in such things.

Meanwhile, if any of us see this happen and has a problem with it, then the best remedy to jump in to the live League queue. Let RNG sort it out as to who plays whom. :)

NoWorries
    GOD

• The issues with ranked are many fold, this is but another
    R Tape loading error, 0:1
    gary
    DEMIGOD

• I often go into the chat and tell people what queue's I'm in, with current player numbers it's the best way to get games without waiting - I don't care if the best player or worst player in the lobby joins them as long as someone does!

Anyway if you beat a load of people who aren't very good you'll get past the star section but you'll have a rubbish ELO score so it's not a good way to try to beat the system.

Personally I dislike the star system all together and would prefer a pure ELO system.
    worto03

• It's the root cause that needs resolving here.

There's no way currently to see whether or not there's anyone waiting for a live league game to start, and no way to see what type of live league people are looking to start. If a player wanted a 4 way classic chaos game they could sit in the matchmaker until hell freezes over until 3 more players joined at the same time and looking for the same match.

NoWorries' suggestion is good - Have realm style alerts pop up whenever players are looking for live matches (League and Custom).

Or alternatively, show league games awaiting players in the style of the custom games queue (This works well for asynch, but maybe isn't as a good of a solution for live).

So maybe the best solutions, show all iive games as alerts, AND show ALL asynch games in a match queue.

Either way, players would then be able to see which games were awaiting players, and wouldn't have to scrat around in chat.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We'd love to embrace you!

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• alternatively, a notification can pop up automatically whenever you enter the ranked/duel menus.
    Just a 1 time pop up whenever you enter either menu that states the total line up #'s for each mode of play, which dissipates as the realm notifications do.

ex.
    1) click on duel menu
    2)duel menu opens, queue for duel mode pops up and eventually fades away
    3)click on ranked games menu
    4)ranked menu opens, queue for various ranked modes pops up and eventually fades away

Just have it so that the sound effect doesn't play everytime you do this. It should solve the problem in the least intrusive way possible (in terms of realestate for GUI on the screen)
    anjovi

• if u allow for arranged ranked games the whole idea of a ladder becomes pointless (im not talking about friendlies)

if u want to arrange live league games (via some popup) i suggest u split live and async into different competitions
    ARRANGED live league games would be much more suited for cup/league style competitions and not ladders

the whole point of a ladder is that you are teamed up with people close to your rating, not the ones u choose
    a lvl 80 vs a lvl 1 still gets 4 points it should be -4 imo why play vs a lvl 1 guy ranked? just play a friendly!

so until we get a better solution like arranged cups/league, queue silently or play friendly is the ethical stance here imo
    Last edited by Stitchy on Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Stitchy

• We want to be careful that "best" does not get in the way of "better". I think there is not a big dispute about what best is here, at least in core substance; however, for right now, better is to find a way to get more people to participate. A ladder means nothing if there are only 2-4 people on it.

NoWorries
    GOD

• NoWorries wrote:We want to be careful that "best" does not get in the way of "better". I think there is not a big dispute about what best is here, at least in core substance; however, for right now, better is to find a way to get more people to participate. A ladder means nothing if there are only 2-4 people on it.

it also means nothing if u can just invite who ever u want sorry
    there is no better in this, its just making it worse
    Stitchy

• We'll never be able to police or prevent friends from coordinating and inviting each other to join the League matchmaker at the same time. Just can't happen, as real friends won't necessarily waste their time communicating on the open, public game channel.

In that context, can we reframe the issue from one of "invitation" to "announcement"? In this regard, what is the actual harm of someone in the matchmaker announcing on a public forum that they are in the matchmaker queue and will be happy if someone else, anyone else, joins the matchmaker, too? Without the "announcement", no one will join, and no game will occur. With the "announcement", someone might join the matchmaker, get matched, and play the game. In the best case scenario, several someone see the very public "announcement" and then join, too, and we have ourselves several matches being played.

To put it another way, what is someone who has been waiting for 10-20 minutes by themselves to do to get a live League match if they cannot "announce" on a public channel that they are looking for a match for anyone else who would like a match? (And in this context, the answer needs to rely on the tools presently available, not tools we hope to have someday.)

NoWorries
    GOD

Next

Return to Gameplay Discussion

Information