The original ally/invade system

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:41 pm

• Things the ally/invade system got right first time around..

INVADE - Invading was anonymous, invaders were mysterious faceless pirates. Pretty cool stuff, fun for the invader and fun for the invadee. This unique system bridged the gap between SP and MP.. There was no need to change it to reveal who the invader was.. Invading would be more appealing if it was anonymous.

ALLYING - When the quester died their hired help (co-op partner) could fight on for them.. When the quester called an ally they were effectively summoning an extra life against death/banishment, an extra staff to combat marauders, mercs etc. There was always a chance for the ally to be the hero if the quester died.

One of the biggest benefits of that old ally system was instead of the inexperienced questers calling allies and constantly dying without ever learning what mistakes they were making, they got a chance to observe an experienced wizard show them how the battle should have been played and won, so it was a learning experience/mentor system.

The thing that balances calling for a 'hero' ally is that doing so means you grant the AI's more mana.. plus you have to share the rewards with the ally (gold and xp will be half of what you could have earned solo)

..this is good because at some point questers do realize that it's not ideal to always rely on allies to bail them out, calling an ally is still a judgement call whether the ally has the ability to win the game for you or not.

Allying would be more appealing if ally auto-death wasn't a thing ..When a lord AI is killed his marauder partner doesn't automatically die.. human wizards should be on a par with that (allies have a win rate to look after to). It should be a proper 2v2 where any wizard on either team can win it (this would create more of a team ethic than the current system).

..Both these systems took a backward step in post production. Could either or both of these things be changed back?
    Mazy

Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:06 pm

• +1 :)
    Aka

Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:17 pm

• Yes, hard for an invader to troll their opposition. Though would be best if there is some notification when a player is being invaded.

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:27 pm

• YES! YES! 1+! 1+! OP! listen to him! :lol:

a well put observation on the whole thing. Although i do really:
    -Invade/ally notifications in main menu
    -animation stating that "somebody" invaded

I really don't like that it isn't anomymous and that the ally can't win the fight. The extra mana given for the 2 allies fighting is a great balancer, and should be given to invaders as well if it isn't already working like that.

Otherwise, really hope this gets addressed, as it is a BIG part of what makes chaos fun, and would be sad to see players only having tried the butchered version of this invader/ally dynamic.
    anjovi

Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:29 pm

• you know i am alllllll for this and then some.

was one of the best things in the game, and it was a bug, which made it even cooler
    R Tape loading error, 0:1
    gary
    DEMIGOD

Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:19 pm

Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:23 am

• The ally getting ALL the goodies from the match could be a good incentive for the player to keep themselves alive...though would that open up to but hole allies who come and grief the inviting player? who knows? could actually add a fun layer to the whole thing xD

bottom line for snapshot: At least give the suggestions implied by the OP a shot for 1 month, collect the data, see if it works or not and if it ends up sucking, just scrap it. I have a feeling the ally invader system would shoot up in how much it's played.

I as a long time player, simply hate the idea of new players seeing ANJOVI INVADED YOUR GAME! and getting salty at me for making them lose their realm progress xD. I feel bad winning, even when i beat them (When they're armed with an ally and mercs) and they probably have mixed feelings "Am i nice enough to know what i signed up for leaving invaders open? Is Anjovi's name going to be imbedded in the negative part of my subconcious regardless of my understanding?"

But when the invader is anonymous, it's easy to just chuckle and say "well played! wonder if it was gary..." :lol:
    anjovi

Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:38 am

• Invading should be anonymous for sure.

Likewise the ally should be able to fight on.

I'm not keen on the AI getting a mana boost when an ally is called in... a new player who is calling in an ally is doing it because they need help, not because they want a balanced fight.. I think the split gold and XP reward is enough of a penalty for that.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:52 am

• We all know I agree with this.

Regards,

Jim
    The Battlemage!

gary is my master now...

Current Unicoin Total: 54.2

Twitter / Steam: SlipperyJim72
    SlipperyJim

Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:55 am