[Beta] Custom games

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:58 pm

• I was just checking out the beta version, giving the new custom game modes a go.. Initial observations..

I'm assuming the objectives 'use spell' and 'use illusion' mean that you have to kill an opponent with a spell? e.g, a real or fake creature (I'm guessing melee killing an opponent doesn't count unless the attacking wizard has a sword or bow?) ..If this is the case surely 'use wizard' has to be an objective to, e.g, killing a wizard using a wizard as a victory condition.

I think I was able to set 'use talisman' as an objective/victory condition for a classic mode match.

The objectives, taboos and rewards are all configurable, which is ok but there's no option to randomize them. When setting up a 6way game I wanted to set all these options to random and just go with whatever everybody was given (the benefit of this would be that the host wouldn't know what objectives everyone had)..

..Obviously the ability for the host to set very specific objectives/taboos for individual players is useful but randomized starting conditions (objectives/taboos) per player (including the host) seems like the best way to run these kind of games.

Unless I missed it I don't think there was a victory screen at the end showing what everyone's objective was and if they achieved it.
    Last edited by Mazy on Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Mazy

Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:22 pm

• Mazy wrote:Unless I missed it I don't think there was a victory screen at the end showing what everyone's objective was and if they achieved it.

+1 This would be very nice to see at the end of a match.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:38 pm

• Hi,
    Did the beta update today? I know we talked internally about doing an update, but I thought it was going to be tomorrow (probably)
    If not it didn't update, I'd hold off until it is released, which should now be very soon.
    I thought I'd disabled all talisman-related victory conditions (awkward), after first disabling them for classic games (impossible objectives are no good). If the game did update, and this isn't the case, I've made a mistake.
    CGR
    SNAPSHOT DEV

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:49 pm

• Don't know if it updated today, I didn't have it installed, I just flipped it over to beta testing briefly to check stuff out (bout 4 hrs ago).

I selected one of each objective to test it all out, I can't remember which player I put a 'use talisman' objective on, but I think it allowed it (I specified that they used pontacto.. and then slapped a 'magic weapons' taboo on them lol).. maybe classic mode just overrides their objective anyway (back to 'defeat wizard').
    Mazy

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:14 am

• Will see about taking a peak at it myself when it gets an update. I wonder if steam has a time stamp for when they release? might be a handy reference for those to tell if they've got the intended update or not.
    anjovi

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:43 pm

• can the use spell objective make it certain that you'll get that spell in your deck?
    anjovi

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:05 pm

• When the new testing branch lands:
    Creature spell requirements will give you an "ally", rather like a realms merc, so you can't fail the objective; you can of course additionally use binds, shifts, trees, buffs, pegasi, fountains, volaticus duplus, and that other talisman that gets you the spell of the thing you kill etc to make more of the same creature. Chaos-mode game-creators might consider tabooing attack spells so you can't just zap the creature in turn 1.
    Weapon spell requirements will auto-cast the weapon for you, so you can't fail the objective (look out for dwarf-attacks though!);
    Bolt spell requirement will ensure bolt is in your deck even if you don't bind it; you'd be advised to bind it (and/or have bolt mega on your staff), however, as you'll want more than 1 shot if you can get it in chaos mode.
    Blob spell requirement will ensure the same for blob; however, blob is a 70% cast (I think:), so you're going to have to work for your blobkill.
    CGR
    SNAPSHOT DEV

Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:23 am

• interesting! all this talk of mercs and the like has me excited to see what makes it in custom games down the line.
    Stuff like setting up bands of mercs, and even alternatives to wizards like spell totems could really breath some life into the game..

Especially if said things ever made into realm design tools, that alone would improve the realm creation ten fold.
    anjovi

Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:58 am

• CGR wrote:When the new testing branch lands:
    Creature spell requirements will give you an "ally", rather like a realms merc, so you can't fail the objective; you can of course additionally use binds, shifts, trees, buffs, pegasi, fountains, volaticus duplus, and that other talisman that gets you the spell of the thing you kill etc to make more of the same creature. Chaos-mode game-creators might consider tabooing attack spells so you can't just zap the creature in turn 1.
    Weapon spell requirements will auto-cast the weapon for you, so you can't fail the objective (look out for dwarf-attacks though!);
    Bolt spell requirement will ensure bolt is in your deck even if you don't bind it; you'd be advised to bind it (and/or have bolt mega on your staff), however, as you'll want more than 1 shot if you can get it in chaos mode.
    Blob spell requirement will ensure the same for blob; however, blob is a 70% cast (I think:), so you're going to have to work for your blobkill.

By an 'ally' do you mean it starts on the map with you? - If so, the opposition are just going to target it from the off, as they'll know that it's the victory condition. - I'd rather have it in my starting hand (possibly as a 100% cast).

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:16 am

• Yes, it starts on the map.
    RafiRomero

Return to Gameplay Discussion

Information