Make Decree/Vengeance use Range (tweak idea)

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.

• So the thought of how decree and vengeance spells could work with LOS intrigued me...

As of now they feel a little uninteresting, just a random spell that says "Yes this creature on the map is dead" or "your delete this creature on the board has failed) The low % of it actually killing anything doesn't make it viable one, but one you'd use if you just happened have it on hand.

I was wondering if it might make it more interesting to have it have an LOS (of about 6-8 like teleport or something higher then eagles) and just buff the attack power of it.

This would make strategic placement of the wizard in relation to creatures on the board matter, and make the spell more viable (so long as you can line up the shot safely, which will be fairly easy) Maybe even limit the range so you have to be at least a distance away (like 2 or 3 hexes from your target) this in itself would justify the attack buff, and allow for it to be used as an artillery.

This would in turn leave a niche for meteorite to fill up (having range to the entire board)

This could improve play across all modes (pvp and realms), having that artillery feel (as opposed to just delete which creature on the board feel)
    anjovi

• It sounds almost like you're describing what 'lightning' could be. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2358

I personally like the Magic Attack spells as they are; the strategy comes from deciding 'what' you're going to attack with them, and 'when' you're going to do it.

An Eagle appears on Turn 2 and puts you under pressure, do you MA it for early game positioning, or do you save the spell for something more dangerous latter on?

A Hellhound appears in a FFA, do you use your MA on it, or do you wait to see whether, the wizard will be killed and/or someone else will expend there's?

With the triple attacks, this can become even more important - Do you attack that Hellhound or Eagle now, but waste two of the shots on creatures that aren't a threat, or do you try to endure and wait for some other more attractive targets?

MAs are also nice spells to promote combo thinking, it's an almost classic move to use an MA on the mount of a wizard who has over extended himself in order to leave them exposed/go for the kill. They can also be used to free yourself from blob, take down tangle vines. . . they're the 'Swiss army knife' spells of the game.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• I like the way the game plays right now (possible exception for me is dispel, which I generally like, but dislike for rats vs zombies/ vampires).
    RafiRomero

• the current dispel leaves a very grubby taste in the mouth the way it works. there is just something very 'cheaty' about it
    R Tape loading error, 0:1
    gary
    DEMIGOD

• Good points! I wonder if some kind of dynamic were the spell increases in power with range might be an interesting tweak.

Do you find the undead's high vulnerability to be in the sweet spot?
    I personally find skeletons to be a little too weak to the magic decree and vengeance, while virtually any other creature doesn't seem to be a viable target alot of the time.

It acts as a buffer to early lucky undead casts, though i wonder if their was a way to squeeze a bit more out of this spell...Say if it was slightly weaker across the map, but grew more powerful as you got closer.

Maybe something like a lightning spell could fill this niche, while diluting the attack spells to get less decree's and vengeance spells (making the player bind them be more of a sure thing to have in hand)
    anjovi

• gary wrote:the current dispel leaves a very grubby taste in the mouth the way it works. there is just something very 'cheaty' about it

+1 It's an awful mechanic - Like taking a mulligan in golf.

I really hope with custom games, that at some point, there'll be an option to turn it off.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• RafiRomero wrote:I like the way the game plays right now (possible exception for me is dispel, which I generally like, but dislike for rats vs zombies/ vampires).

I find it fairly well balanced, however. Much better than previous iterations and every alternative proposed to date.

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

• dispel has become second nature to me at this point....i feel it's alot cleaner then the old card iteration that was in place.
    I think blob might be the only spell that is sort of iffy with me regarding dispel....though it is expensive to dispel sometimes. Really can't put my finger on anything particularly wrong with it.

Otherwise, i like that it can generally speed up the proceedings a fair bit.
    anjovi

Return to Gameplay Discussion

Information