A Hotfix Message Box for Guild Gameplay Awareness?

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.

• Guilds are rather opaque for players, and there is no in-game means for them to learn about available guilds or solicit an invitation. Heck, players don't see the guild rankings unless they join a guild. So, in the short-term, would it be possible in the upcoming hotfix update to add a message box in the Guild toggle of the Friends list that informs players who are not members of a guild what they are and provides a link to the Orders and Guilds forum to facilitate them getting more information and soliciting an invite?

We can brainstorm more substantive improvements to bolstering engagement in guild gameplay later. But, right now, there is nothing connecting casual players to the opportunity.

NoWorries
    GOD

• An in-game message (the things that appear top-right) would probably be quickest and easiest.
    In other news, I've disgraced us by losing vs blobka in my first baldrlux duel:$
    RafiRomero

• Why not let all players see guilds rankings, whether they are in one or not?

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We'd love to embrace you!

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• RafiRomero wrote:An in-game message (the things that appear top-right) would probably be quickest and easiest.

For sure, quickest and easiest. This is a for-sure to-do. But a one-off message alone is less than ideal. (1) I think that new players who come to the game do not see all messages that were sent before they got the game; and (2) a one-off message will get displaced in the message queue by subsequent messages.

RafiRomero wrote:In other news, I've disgraced us by losing vs blobka in my first baldrlux duel:$

There is never disgrace in earnest battle! We live by the RNG and die by the RNG. All hail the RNG! (Though please remember if you actually meet Arenji, defeat her.)

NoWorries
    GOD

• The guilds that are up already all look really good, interesting bio's.. It could prove difficult for established CR players to pin their colours to one particular guild when so many of them are run by well respected friends and members of the CR community..

So, why not have some kind of alternative system which allows players to be randomly assigned to a different guild each season (or be picked, like in a draft system) ..this would take the decision out of a players hands (if they literally cannot pick one guild over another).

..it would also help keep the numbers in guilds roughly equal and mix up the team combinations every season.

For new players, perhaps there needs to be a link on the game title page to this.. viewforum.php?f=14

..or an in-game button which assigns you to a random guild that is actively seeking members.

Out of interest, are orders/guilds going to be run like teams/squads? with an upper and lower limit to their roster.. Like, should the max guild size by something like 5 or 6? ..or is being in a guild of one a viable thing?
    Mazy

• A larger guild won't necessary translate in to higher rankings. Guilds who want top ranks likely will self-limit to top players.

NoWorries
    GOD

• Mazy wrote:The guilds that are up already all look really good, interesting bio's.. It could prove difficult for established CR players to pin their colours to one particular guild when so many of them are run by well respected friends and members of the CR community..

I've told people not to join mine so feel free to join someone else's if you want… it was created because at the time v1.13 went live there was only one guild. If newbies want to join mine then fine & I'll take part in the game's Guild Master aspects as required (see signature :) ).

Mazy wrote:So, why not have some kind of alternative system which allows players to be randomly assigned to a different guild each season (or be picked, like in a draft system) ..this would take the decision out of a players hands (if they literally cannot pick one guild over another).

..it would also help keep the numbers in guilds roughly equal and mix up the team combinations every season.

For new players, perhaps there needs to be a link on the game title page to this.. viewforum.php?f=14

If Snapshot force people into a guild they'll still be scraping the blood off the walls in ten years time. Every Player should get a one time popup dialogue that lists each guild with an option to join it or join none at all. On that dialogue box there should be a link to the Guild forum so they can find out about each guild before making a selection.

If Guilds are to be a thing then they need to be more visible, and have association with more elements of the game in someway that doesn't allow a Guild Master to directly sabotage a Players game.

I won't be commenting further on this issue,
    Farious
    Choose FREEDOM! Choose the ANARCHY WOLVES Chaos Reborn guild! Click here!
    Discord & Forum Moderator, Realm Moderator, & Wiki Admin.
    PM me to ask Realm Design questions or for help.

#ChaosReborn:
    DISCORD | Wiki | My Videos
    Farious

• Another thing to consider is that guilds have to invite people to join, you could just jump on the first guild that invites you if you don't like choosing.

Otherwise, the social aspect makes sense. Players who are more active in the community, I think are the best candidates to run guilds. I'm not the most active player myself so i wouldn't hold any grudge, i'd trust that others wouldn't if their guild wasn't chosen.

This whole guild thing could actually breathe some new life into the game.

Custom challenges as a means to provide semi-moderated PVP with rewards is a nice dynamic. Perhaps if you had some economy to work out the 'rewards' aspect of it, you could have a pretty nice thing going. The most obvious is having a daily allowance of rewards that once reached, requires challenge creators to pay out of their own pockets to create...
    anjovi

• Mazy wrote:So, why not have some kind of alternative system which allows players to be randomly assigned to a different guild each season (or be picked, like in a draft system) ..this would take the decision out of a players hands (if they literally cannot pick one guild over another).

If you make it seasonal, people will engage with it for the first season and then the majority will lose interest. For guilds to be viable into the long term, I think the associations have to be long term so that people will build a sense of identity and commeradery with their guild mates.

Mazy wrote:

..or an in-game button which assigns you to a random guild that is actively seeking members.

Out of interest, are orders/guilds going to be run like teams/squads? with an upper and lower limit to their roster.. Like, should the max guild size by something like 5 or 6? ..or is being in a guild of one a viable thing?

Keeping numbers even and limiting the size of guilds is only something that works if we're saying that guilds only exist to setup competitions - And if so, then why not just setup some team competitions? You don't need guilds to do that.

For me, the reasons to have guilds can be multiple. Certainly competition can be an aspect of it, and certain guilds might setup for that reason, but it might be that a guild is setup because its members want a place to help newbies. Another guild might be full of players who want to collaborate on realm design. These things wouldn't work effectively if you were capping guild numbers and/or adding players in randomly.

I don't think it's a bad idea to have a 'assign me to a random guild button' but I think if you're doing that then you need to also let guilds decide whether they want to be public or private.

Overall I think you need to have a free system with this, let player come and go, let them move between guilds as they wish, and also let them be in or not be in any guild at all as they wish. At the same time, let the guilds setup as they wish, and let guild membership be a thing that happens when it's a mutual desire. Don't force it in anyway, if it's going to work let it happen naturally, and then support that natural way in which it occurs.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We'd love to embrace you!

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Return to Gameplay Discussion

Information