Needed: Guild Profiles

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:16 am

• ASSUMPTIONS:

(1) Guilds should promote player engagement with the game; (2) most players don't engage in the forums much or at all; and (3) new features need to accommodate likely limited developer resources, i.e., should be incremental.

BASIC CONCEPT:

Just as wizards have profiles which can be accessed by clicking on their name, guilds should have profiles.

POSSIBLE FEATURES:

• Provide information. Guild XYZ is highly ranked. Who is its leader? How many players belong to it? Have they won awards before? What are their current rankings? Are they open to new members?

• Players can request an invite. For guilds to gain meaningful traction, there needs to be an in-game means for players to identify guilds and request to join them. Forums are not friendly to casual gamers who might enjoy a guild.

• Promote Realms gameplay. Realms of guild members might be listed. The guild might highlight a new or lore-rich Realm. Clicking on the realm might bring players to it. Where's the best place to learn about a guild? Its Realms.

• Introduce long-awaited god stuff. Similar to wizard lords for Realms, the guild leader could select from all player gods with guilds (a proxy for a god opting in to the feature), a generic chaos/neutral/law god, or expressly none.

OTHER CONSIDERATIONS:

Having guild profiles assumes that there will be an in-game list of guilds. It might be appropriate to rank the order of guilds in relation to its leaders last login or some other metric that would steer casual players to active guilds. Also, guilds focused on recruitment will have extra incentive to compete in the rankings system for the extra visibility.

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:16 am

• SUPPLEMENT RELATED TO GODS:

• Art for god guild profiles. The Kickstarter touted shrines for gods. We have art for a number of Old Gods. If there is similar art for generic chaos, neutral, and law gods for the New Gods, then profile art could stand in for shrines.

• List affiliated guilds. God profiles could show a list of the guilds of demigods who follow them. Thus, guilds who follow player gods get additional visibility for potential recruits.

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:41 pm

• I like the idea of guild profiles.

I think the info provided should include text to explain what the guild is about.

We need to make it clear that guilds aren't only about competitive aspects of play. Competitive stats should be listed, but we also need to provide social features within guilds to allow players to engage with each other. I remember early on in CRs development that there was suggestion that guild members could trade items, and swap realm maps, both of these would be nice to see.

As opposed to selecting generic gods to follow it might work better if a guild could select an orientation of Law/Neutral/Chaos. (Gods could also do the same).

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:54 pm

• I just realized today after someone started chatting with me in a foreign language: guilds need to cater to our non-English speaking players, too. Guilds are further undermined by requiring all players to go to an English-only forum to find guilds.

With guild profiles iterated like our current wizard profiles, players should be able to find, join, and participate in guilds regardless of their language. And/or when creating guilds, guildmasters can toggle what the primary language of the guild is so that players can more easily find one where they can build their community.

NoWorries
    GOD

Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:02 pm

• NoWorries wrote:I just realized today after someone started chatting with me in a foreign language: guilds need to cater to our non-English speaking players, too. Guilds are further undermined by requiring all players to go to an English-only forum to find guilds.

With guild profiles iterated like our current wizard profiles, players should be able to find, join, and participate in guilds regardless of their language. And/or when creating guilds, guildmasters can toggle what the primary language of the guild is so that players can more easily find one where they can build their community.

Very good point - It's another reason why it needs to be on the splash screen.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:08 pm

• SpiteAndMalice wrote:Very good point - It's another reason why it needs to be on the splash screen.

That, too. Many people never pause long enough to read the intro menu splash screen. We have that with the Discord promo, but I've met several regulars who play frequently yet did not know the Discord existed until I told them. Nevertheless, these same players know about Duel, League, etc. because those options have a persistant place in the UI.

We need an all-of-the-above approach to providing awareness of a new features like guilds.

NoWorries
    GOD

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:04 am

• World of Warcraft has a Guild Finder function. It describes the guild, conditions for joining, and ability to apply to a guild directly. You can specify searches using tags for the guild, size, etc.

I agree with Baldr that guilds are the best way to enlarge the player culture as well as retain players.
    "Sometimes you find yourself doing something that you know you're going to pay more for than you could ever get out of it. Just remember: Don't rob a bank for $50" - GlassJaw
    Glass Jaw

Return to Gameplay Discussion

Information