Law Mode killed Realm Stats

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:46 am

• Players are playing realms in Law Mode and getting rank #1 on their first try. Realms that took me weeks or in one case months to get rank #1.. other players have figured out they don't have to put forth effort. They can just play law mode.

What is the point going after a high score if someone just needs to run Law Mode to beat your score?

It would be good to review how realms are scored and distinguish between modes in the score.
    GlassJaw, Agent of Hegemony
    Glass Jaw

Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:03 am

• Agreed. Realm scores are a competitive bench mark. Every other competitive ranking distinguishes between chaos mode and law mode gameplay, as they can't be judged as equivalents. Realms scores should be no exception.

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:42 am

• +1

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:06 pm

• Agreed.. I think law mode messes up a lot more than realm stats and realm difficulty levels though.

+1 to a solution to this.
    Last edited by Mazy on Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Mazy

Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:15 pm

• The pros and cons about Law mode in general are subject to good-faith disagreement. Whatever the merits of those disagreements, however, is somewhat immaterial given that it seems to be a popular mode among many players who may not frequent these forums. That said, whatever our views on Law mode in general, there seems to be a strong consensus of recognition that Law mode and Chaos mode Realm scores should not be mixed together.

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:11 pm

• Yup. +1

Is just plain silly
    Aka

Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:35 am

• If there is to be a review of the way in which realms are scored.. a couple of other things to consider :-

1) You can switch between modes mid-realm, therefore starting a realm in one particular mode wont always define the run (e.g, the player might do 6 chaos fights and 3 law fights.. technically their final score would not belong to a chaos leaderboard or a law leaderboard)

2) Allies don't affect the scoring, yet invaders do.. Calling on an ally affects the difficulty level.. however, the score does not reflect whether you ran it solo (as a series of 1v1s and 1v2's), or as co-op (as a series of 2v1's and 2v2's), yet technically soloing it is clearly a better achievement than co-oping it.
    Mazy

Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:30 am

• The next planned milestone upgrade to Realms was to make the entire Realm playable in coop. I would personally expect no changes to the scoring mechanism until this step is either green lighted or revised - that is just my opinion and I will ask about scoring again at the next opportunity.

Farious
    Farious

Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:47 pm

• I was enthusiastic about realm scores being able to eventually fix the lack of strategic gameplay in realms, though this could be a big dampener for any interplay between battle and realm gameplay.

Otherwise, all i can think of is just keeping scores a purely strategic layer thing (for example the paths you travel, villages you recruit, reputation that you gain) and leave all things battle related out of it (like invader bonuses/ally detriments)

and just perhaps tweak things like:
    -Extra loot and stuff for invader battles
    -Less loot and stuff + A proper AI buff for coop battles

Otherwise, you could probably keep things suitable for both modes. I'd focus more on incorporating villages, managing kudos, reputation, villagers, mercs, maybe even gold as things for realm scores.

I'm imagining that high scores are probably going to have to be completely wiped for any substantial fix to the scoring system, though the benefits of it could be totally worth it.
    anjovi

Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:03 am

• BUMP

When I first posted this thread I had placed Rank #1 on about 8 realms. I earned it. I play only Chaos mode and always on Invader and I don't ally 1v1. Some of these realms took me months.

I confronted the Law mode player who systematically annihilated realms purely bc he used Law Mode and did so on his first attempt. He agreed that the scoring system is broken and should be fixed. That didn't stop this player from sailing through realms with Law Mode to defeat scores that came before him.

I'm now Rank #1 on only one realm. I am rank #2 on a bunch.

I don't expect anyone else to agree or care, but I think people who use Law Mode for every realm are cheating. Starting off and need a crutch? Sure. Doping up with Law Mode for every realm is weak. Also, it is disrespectful on the part of Snapshot to allow Law Mode to be scored if they weren't going to overhaul realm scoring. It's somewhat dIsrespectful to me and many former players whose lasting etch in the game were those rankings. Sure, a lasting etch is forged gear bought by other players, but honestly how much of that is going on now since there is forging and forging is practically free. Not everyone makes it to Wizard King/realm editor status before ceasing regular use of the game. Realm scores was the only real lasting mark for some.

When the scoring does get overhauled I hope it reflects the Mode the realm4 was played in and is still connected to triumphing over Invaders. Personally, I think scoring time efficiency is bad. It really is bad. Scoring players over their speed often disrupts their experience of the realm. No real exploring. No risks taken to check behind a mountain. No mysteries to uncover because you just reveal the whole map and then do the realm over using efficient pathing - always avoiding side-quests or any content not required to complete the realm.

Can we have a scoring system that rewards engaging the content of the realm? Rewards for doing side-quests and still killing the Wizard Queen in time? Point rewards for purchasing mercenaries or perhaps keeping them alive? Rewards for exploration of the map (Instead of punishing for it)? There is Zero gain in the lore for ending a banishing spell a week earlier. Rewarding speed runs is backwards. Players ought to be trying to use as much time as they can spare to complete all scored realm objectives. Players should be able to deploy different strategies to accrue scored points. Some would want to explore far more and others might invest in mercenaries or do some side-quests and not others, etc. Devs could allow the realm creator to set a minor reward for destroying each wave of marauders. Currently, there is no reward for interacting with Marauders unless they force a response. Marauders that lack targets often just camp an irrelevant hex and can be ignored. Reward players for interacting with realms and an optimal realm run should be one that accrues as many points as possible via objective completion before time runs out.
    GlassJaw, Agent of Hegemony
    Glass Jaw

Next

Return to Gameplay Discussion

Information