Frequent front

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:49 am

  • NoWorries wrote:As for the nothing option, I presume that basically translates in to using the same generic art backdrop for every guild, just changing the text from time to time.


    One generic image that shows all guilds at the same time would be quite good actually. Especially if players could interact with it and drill down to view info about each guild.
    Image

    The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

    - Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    User avatar
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD
     
    Posts: 6142
    Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:45 pm
    Location: UK

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:53 am

  • This last ^^ is an entirely different topic of which I wholly approve, but it will require developer resources that we're unlikely to have anytime soon. Here, in this thread otherwise, are suggestions on how (a) increase visibility of guilds and (b) provide actual rewards to competition guild gameplay by using existing infrastructure in a way that likely won't require more or much code.
    ___________________________

      One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    User avatar
    NoWorries
    GOD
     
    Posts: 5015
    Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:17 am
    Location: Baldrlux.com

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:55 am

  • SpiteAndMalice wrote:Advertising guilds on the basis of any particular competition win would be biased in the favour of the guild that sets itself up to win that competition. Imaging that it's the winner of the Duel competiton, how does the guild that is trying to be social, or orientated towards realms or custom matches gain a fair level of exposure? How does a new guild ever catch up with those that are establised.

    I think a fairer system would be to have each guild given the option to advertise itself on the front screen if they wish to, and then cycle through them at regular time intervals or based upon user logins.

    To be candid, the smaller guilds actually can do better in the standings because all of the current scoring turns on averages. So if a guild gets too large and has active members, then their average will go down. Meanwhile, the smaller guilds whose demigod+ players give a hoot will get some attention until they get bigger and their averages go down to make way for someone else.

    Also, there are multiple panels. One can be determined by rotation while the other can be a cheap, no-cost cosmetic trophy for the actual competitive PvP core of much of the gameplay areas of the game.
    ___________________________

      One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    User avatar
    NoWorries
    GOD
     
    Posts: 5015
    Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:17 am
    Location: Baldrlux.com

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:04 pm

  • NoWorries wrote:This last ^^ is an entirely different topic of which I wholly approve, but it will require developer resources that we're unlikely to have anytime soon. Here, in this thread otherwise, are suggestions on how (a) increase visibility of guilds and (b) provide actual rewards to competition guild gameplay by using existing infrastructure in a way that likely won't require more or much code.


    The thread topic is about how to use the front screen. It can be used in many ways, not just to promote guilds, but if it is being used to promote guilds then it should be done fairly rather than just promoting a certain type of guild.
    Image

    The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

    - Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    User avatar
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD
     
    Posts: 6142
    Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:45 pm
    Location: UK

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:06 pm

  • P.S. I think it entirely and wholly unlikely that Snapshot would incorporate community submitted art on to the cover of their commercial game. Yes, there is a standards reason. But the other is they are opening themselves up to a litigation nightmare of hurt if, as may be likely, a community member incorporates or copies someone else's work and Snapshot then publishes on their game, a commercial product. Heck, Snapshot would need to get multijurisdictional legal advice on using art that was created by the community members who submitted it. The only way that Snapshot can avoid the possibility of an insane medley of legal headaches in many different jurisdictions is only to use their own art assets.

    So it's use Snapshot's art if any art whatsoever is to be used. And I suspect a blank background won't make much sense from anyone's perspective.
    ___________________________

      One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    User avatar
    NoWorries
    GOD
     
    Posts: 5015
    Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:17 am
    Location: Baldrlux.com

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:07 pm

  • P.P.S., I think it's only going to be you and me reading by this point, Spite.
    ___________________________

      One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    User avatar
    NoWorries
    GOD
     
    Posts: 5015
    Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:17 am
    Location: Baldrlux.com

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:12 pm

  • NoWorries wrote:To be candid, the smaller guilds actually can do better in the standings because all of the current scoring turns on averages. So if a guild gets too large and has active members, then their average will go down. Meanwhile, the smaller guilds whose demigod+ players give a hoot will get some attention until they get bigger and their averages go down to make way for someone else.


    Only if that new guild is headed up by a demigod+ player who is a) interested in that particular competition being used to decide which guild gets advertised and is b) good at it.

    It's a biased system, that's not healthy for guilds as a whole.

    A person's ability to run a guild well has nothing to do with their ability to perform well in one single PvP game mode. Anyone who wants to promote a guild should have the same exposure as anyone else, regardless of how they prefer to play the game.
    Image

    The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

    - Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    User avatar
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD
     
    Posts: 6142
    Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:45 pm
    Location: UK

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:14 pm

  • NoWorries wrote:P.P.S., I think it's only going to be you and me reading by this point, Spite.


    It's quite possible ;-)
    Image

    The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

    - Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    User avatar
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD
     
    Posts: 6142
    Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:45 pm
    Location: UK

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:19 pm

  • SpiteAndMalice wrote:The thread topic is about how to use the front screen. It can be used in many ways, not just to promote guilds, but if it is being used to promote guilds then it should be done fairly rather than just promoting a certain type of guild.

    "Fairness" is a vague term that lacks specificity as to how it accomplishes what Snapshot is trying to do with the current iteration of the guild system: engage players in a way that keeps them online playing more competitive matches. In this context, it seems more unfair to deny recognition or at least positive reinforcement to those guilds which excel at this. Why should I invest countless hours trying to foment gameplay in the in-game supported aspects of guilds in the game when someone who created a guild of just their friend and themselves can get just as much recognition as mine even if they don't play except between themselves?

    That said, a rising tide lifts all boats. So if your preferred gameplay style is not incorporated yet in to the in-game guilds system, advocate for that development change. But recognize that such future development is unlikely to occur unless all of the work that Snapshot has done so far has at least some success. And the best way to do that is to maximize visibility and reward those guilds who are best at inciting more players to compete in Duel and League matches.
    ___________________________

      One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    User avatar
    NoWorries
    GOD
     
    Posts: 5015
    Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:17 am
    Location: Baldrlux.com

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:23 pm

  • NoWorries wrote:P.S. I think it entirely and wholly unlikely that Snapshot would incorporate community submitted art on to the cover of their commercial game. Yes, there is a standards reason. But the other is they are opening themselves up to a litigation nightmare of hurt if, as may be likely, a community member incorporates or copies someone else's work and Snapshot then publishes on their game, a commercial product. Heck, Snapshot would need to get multijurisdictional legal advice on using art that was created by the community members who submitted it. The only way that Snapshot can avoid the possibility of an insane medley of legal headaches in many different jurisdictions is only to use their own art assets.

    So it's use Snapshot's art if any art whatsoever is to be used. And I suspect a blank background won't make much sense from anyone's perspective.


    You see games doing this left right and centre, as soon as a game (or forum) allows players to have an in game avatar.

    An easy way around it could be to let guilds have their own flags or badges, these could then be designed 'in game' by guild leaders rather than allowing images to be uploaded.

    Or you could have members of the community designing graphics for their guilds with a signed image proving that that graphic was made by a certain user.
    Image

    The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

    - Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    User avatar
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD
     
    Posts: 6142
    Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:45 pm
    Location: UK

PreviousNext


Return to Gameplay Discussion




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest