Realm Score Revamp (Variables)

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:18 am

• Was thinking of realm high scores again, and thought it'd be neat to try to lay out all of the possible variables in a way that they could be intertwined into some overall score system that'd be more interesting than what is currently available.

Heres what i could pick out:
    (In realm overmap)
    -Days Spent
    -Wizard Lord(s) killed
    -Wizard King killed
    -Marauder's killed
    -Villages destroyed
    -Villages recruited
    -Villages razed
    -Times resurrected
    -Buildings recaptured by marauder

(In battles)
    -Villagers killed in battle
    -Totems destroyed in battle
    -Mercs killed in battle
    -Vps gained per game
    -Turns taken to defeat enemy
    -Invader
    -Ally

(possible additions)
    -bonus points as an encounter reward

All that i could think of, so far only a few of them are utilized in an arguably boring way that doesn't really encourage any dynamic thinking from the player (just move tile from tile down quickest path)

Some of these variables don't really make sense alone, but designed in a way that they complement each other, could make great additions. Some include:

Variables: Turns taken to kill enemy Vs. Victory Points gained.
    If you fine tuned these to a way that Turns spent killing a lord correlated to VP's gained in a fight, you could net yourself a pretty fine balance between "should i spend an extra turn or 2 stylishly killing that dragon" or "Might be best to just go in for the wizard kill"

Variables: Villagers killed in combat Vs. Villages recruited
    Simply giving points for recruiting villages can make so much use out of a seemingly afterthought (art asetts that are used for cosmetics or because their's a 4 minimum) Finding a way to balance village recruitment in a way that makes players wonder "should i raze that manticore village so i can recruit the elves? Well...could tie into the long term were i use elves to attack this high reinforcement lord"

The kicker would be that for every villager that is killed in combat, you lose points. That said the way you use villagers instantly becomes more interesting, and you now have some sort of tie in between battles and realm map. Making the realm mode feel more like a full experience, rather then that feel of 2 isolated game modes (realm overworld with isolated battles_

Variables: Villagers destroyed in battle and marauders
    Sometimes you get the case were it's so easy to just recruit a village, plunk 25 mana on them, and have them annihilate any marauder that comes by (8 elves vs a marauder) This can be somewhat of a bore, though with the added stakes of villagers being killed losing you points, already every move becomes a form of risk management.
    anjovi

Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:24 am

• Some might argue that some of these ideas are to RNG based, and sometimes dish bad stuff to players that results in a suffering high score...I say: Embrace the RNG, Chaos reborn is about that, and the design philosophy of the game should be embraced by the single player campaign mode.
    anjovi

Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:32 am

• Ideally, you'd be able to set and weight each of those categories on an individual basis when designing a realm.

And for the player, they'd then see some statistics showing how they did in each area - Some overall game stats wouldn't go amiss either.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:11 am

• anjovi wrote:Was thinking of realm high scores again, and thought it'd be neat to try to lay out all of the possible variables in a way that they could be intertwined into some overall score system that'd be more interesting than what is currently available

Snapshot were aware there was an issue with Realm scoring when I asked but hadn't decided whether to add it to the list of things to do/look at for the next main update due to the current development resources for CR being focused at the minute on guild related content and a number of ideas for future changes to Realms already being under consideration.

If you are able to come up with a scoring mechanism that is more interesting and easy to implement I will happily pass it along if the area is being looked at. Of course, doesn't mean they'll agree it is the right way forward or that any of it can or should be implemented.

Farious
    Farious

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:21 am

• anjovi wrote:Was thinking of realm high scores again, and thought it'd be neat to try to lay out all of the possible variables in a way that they could be intertwined into some overall score system that'd be more interesting than what is currently available

The scoring system is completely unfit for purpose and is literally broken (see Realm Expiration). Encouraging Players to do more than just 'rush to the Palace' has to be a good thing. However, for me, since we are stuck with story based Realms my opinion is still that it would be best to do scoring largely from Encounter Outcomes with Realm Designers able to provide some sort of cosmetic award/title/medal for completing a Realm and related, there should also be some sort of cosmetic medal/award for Designing a Realm.

Farious
    Farious

Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:46 pm

• I wouldn't mind having a crack at it, if nothing more then to maybe find some potential in the general idea of improving highscore mechanics. I'd say that sounds right focusing on guild stuff for the meantime. The main context for fixing realms would be if they wanted to give the game a good revamp before marketing a chaos reborn 2.0 patch or something (or something relative to mark the milestone of having had the game reach its full potential with guild/realm/custom game functionality)
    anjovi

Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:33 pm

• anjovi wrote:I wouldn't mind having a crack at it, if nothing more then to maybe find some potential in the general idea of improving highscore mechanics.

Knock yourself out, you're certainly better at that kind of thing than I am and the worst that can happen is that Snapshot conclude it doesn't fit with their plans… you're not going to get skinned alive and fed to a bunch of half starved and rather miffed hydras or anything :) Treat it as a bit of fun, I'm always interested in seeing what you come up with.

I'll see if I can ask tomorrow if Realm scoring will be looked at anytime soon.

Farious
    Farious

Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:41 pm

• Farious wrote: there should also be some sort of cosmetic medal/award for Designing a Realm.

Rather than a medal/award merely for creating a Realm, what about instead just note on a Wizard's profile by name or number the Realms that they have created? Could make the informational graphically shiny and badge-like.

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:57 pm

• NoWorries wrote:
    Farious wrote: there should also be some sort of cosmetic medal/award for Designing a Realm.

Rather than a medal/award merely for creating a Realm, what about instead just note on a Wizard's profile by name or number the Realms that they have created? Could make the informational graphically shiny and badge-like.

Imho some sort of comparable award rather than a list would be preferential; a table is still a table even if it has a fancy border. But certainly, it would be an improvement over the current situation.

Farious
    Farious

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:57 pm

• I'm leery of providing a formal "award" for merely participating in a game mode (i.e., creating a Realm), especially as people were once able to pay $100+ to gain expedited access to that game mode. Calling it an "award" would retroactively turn those backer contributions in to play-to-win. However, putting a medallion on a wizard's profile (accessed currently through the info button on a wizard's name in global chat) and having a number that goes up +1 for every Realm they create, well that's just an info graphic.

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

Next

Return to Gameplay Discussion

Information