Control over procedural map sizes

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:42 pm

• I've been playing around setting up a few games using procedurally generated maps lately. I'm loving the randomness of it, and in particular I'm loving that the 2 player maps are sometimes bigger than the standard duel maps.

But I wish I could have a little control over the actual size of the procedural maps that are generate (because some of them still feel too tight for the number of the player on the map).

Could it be possible with procedural maps to maybe have two option for each map type, for instance;

Generated Plains Small
    Generated Plains Large
    Generated Mountains Small
    Generated Mountains Large
    and so on...

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• There's not that much variability size-wise. You could have perhaps another "ring" of hexes around the map perimeter, perhaps 2.
    RafiRomero

• Everytime i notice the banner to this forum i imagine what a large, sprawling map would look like. Particularly I wonder how much of a lords of chaos feel you could get, mapping out a strategy over a larger area.

Being able to set a really large map size as well as adding an optional totem opponent to simulate neutral creatures would be a blast surely! :D
    anjovi

• I haven't seen the proc gen maps yet, I want to try them at some point. Can they occasionally throw up something a bit lopsided (starting positions wise)?

It was never explained why the 1v1 maps were reworked in the first place, the original maps were really well designed.. the reworks are a bit of a disaster, there was no such thing as a 'bad map' before the rework.

Were the original ones deleted? (if not) can they not be re-added? what was the logic behind reducing them in the first place? (why weren't the 3way/4way maps reshaped as well?)

If they were reshaped just to make duels quicker was it ever considered what effects this would have on the format as a whole?
    Mazy

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:23 pm

• Yes, in my experience with the procedural forest maps, out of maybe 100 games, 15-20 of them will be crazy tiny.

On the whole, the maps are awesome! This is a great new feature. If there is any way to allocate (in the coding) a minimum hex value for surface area, this would, in my opinion, solve a great deal of the map frustrations.
    Aka

• RafiRomero wrote:There's not that much variability size-wise. You could have perhaps another "ring" of hexes around the map perimeter, perhaps 2.

It would be really nice to try, I think 2 hexes could be enough - It's not fun playing a game where 'rush tactics' are the optimal strategy because there's no position to fall back to.

Lots of 1v1 games in particular seem to be ending very quickly, <10 turns. I used to really enjoy those games that went the distance.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• 1 or 2 hexes could be awesome!
    Some of the forest maps are just gorgeous, but a lot of them get held back by being a bit postage stamp like (i believe thats the term we've been using now)

It would be interesting to see mountains get this same treatment. Personally, I find that realms and custom games should embrace that larger size map...if nothing else.

the merc, coop, and just general fun of experimenting on varying procedural maps is just so fun. If it were a choice inbetween having an extra 2 hexes vs. keeping them smaller, i'd choose the former definately!
    anjovi

Return to Gameplay Discussion

Information