Chaos Reborn Ideas

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:36 pm

• Hey guys, I have been seeing this game not as popular as its been intended to be. I would like to put my hand out to help get players back. I have made a list of things that maybe can get players back and maybe help make this game as great.

=============
    - Class Setups
    In the game, you only play as a magical wizard which can be a downscale for gameplay since you cant customize it as much.
    Here is a list of the classes that can be available:

-Ranged (Uses bows and 1H swords. Takes 1 turn to switch between weapons. Bows range is 2 hexes unless upgraded to 3 hexes)
    -Melee (Uses 1H swords and shields. Takes 1 turn to switch)
    -Magic (Uses staves and 1H swords. Takes 1 turn to switch. Spell range is 3 hexes unless upgraded to 4 hexes)

- Cards
    There are 3 type of cards in the game. Law, Order and Neutral. There should be 2-3 more card types and have the player be
    able to choose what game style they want to play as and make it permanent. Make this game similar to Magic: The Gathering.
    Also having more monsters can spice things up.

-Armors and weapons
    I want to talk about a way to have various armors and weapons that can give the player something to look forward to. each weapon and armor sets having their own design to make each character look unique in their own way. even have legendary quests that are difficult that can have rare loot drop on a set drop rate.

I hope this gets heard and maybe put into affect. I want to see this game as a good RPG alternative.

-Drake
    Drakensin

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:57 am

• Hi,
    You can already somewhat play classes via the in-game gear and talismans.

The "pontacto" talisman gives you +1 range/ +10 attack. With a standard bow, that gives you the range of an Elf with +10 attack.
    If you stack bows, or have the divine bow megaspell, it's pretty brutal!

There are various ways of playing a Melee "class". I've used a Heroic (50 attack) wizard with Draugar, and I'm currently getting murdered by Contraminus who has a sword and the pegasus mega (a mount + 2 pegasi effectively give you 4 "hit points" in chaos mode). Here, SlipperyJim is terrifying:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbziv-GUHz4

I've not seen many "mage class" players (ironically:), but if you go with arcane robes and megacarmen and maybe the magic bolt mega (megabolt is nice because the kills from it charge up your staff for the next megabolt), or anyway an attack staff. Ah, also the Cantio Secutus spell perhaps, this gives you a megabolt range of 5! If you have maximum magic power from arcane robes, your bolt has 33% vs a hydra, 40% after MegaCarmen.

I'd really like to see this ^^^ kind of thing in Realms, where you'd start as a "vanilla" wizard and become specialized through choices you make in the realm.

With respect to more cards/ monsters, everyone seems keen on this. I feel like it could be a good thing.
    However, I feel like new cards should be distinctive enough to be interesting (so, not just effective re-skins of existing things);
    The flipside of this is that it adds to the complexity of an already fairly complex game.
    New spells are surprisingly time-consuming: they're fairly easy to code, but require 2D and 3D art/ animations and sounds (and, of course, the spell needs "designing" first so it will be useful and fun, and then balancing with all of the other stuff.

There have been some discussions about armors and weapons. Currently you have 3 base-flavours of armour, which can be visually customized in the forge, and then "epic" visual-variants on top of these. I'd love to see more!
    RafiRomero

Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:59 pm

• RafiRomero wrote:There have been some discussions about armors and weapons. Currently you have 3 base-flavours of armour, which can be visually customized in the forge, and then "epic" visual-variants on top of these. I'd love to see more!

There's an easy solution to this.

In the original Chaos Battle of Wizard, both the player and AI wizards started with random stats for things like Attack, Defence, Magic power, and Agility.

You could just apply the same to Chaos Reborn, either by randomising the actual starting stats of The Classic Mode wizards, or by giving them random gear. Make sure that it's only the gear and not the associated talismans and bob's your uncle you've got different play style wizards, and you'd actually be making Classic mode play more like the original game than it is at present.

Btw I'd suggest using the procedurally generated gear in order to avoid any player made duffs. (Or at least have a way to filter out those duffs).

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:15 pm

• RafiRomero wrote:However, I feel like new cards should be distinctive enough to be interesting (so, not just effective re-skins of existing things);
    The flipside of this is that it adds to the complexity of an already fairly complex game.
    New spells are surprisingly time-consuming: they're fairly easy to code, but require 2D and 3D art/ animations and sounds (and, of course, the spell needs "designing" first so it will be useful and fun, and then balancing with all of the other stuff.

I agree that the game would benefit from more units. At present, it's a very short time span before a new player has seen everything, and it is sometimes a cause for criticism on steam.

But I think the opposite in terms of those extra creatures needing to be unique. The fact that every creature is special at present means that none of them are, there's no creature in the game where people go 'Ooo, wow, they've just cast an x, y, or z'

I'd like to see more high casting chance base creatures which you could get out quickly at the start of a game, and see the big guns coming during the second half. Law and Neutral could do with some Goblin like casts, and Chaos could do with some basic non-undeads.

I realise this all takes time and so is unlikely to happen.

I agree that reskinning isn't good, however the one exception that I would like to see is with dragons. Green for neutral and red for chaos would be very welcome.

As an aside, I think in general there's not enough creatures appearing in player's hands, or conversely, too many structures. This is something which could do with being rebalanced. if you get a couple of structures per game that's really enough.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Return to Gameplay Discussion

Information