Chaos Reborn Prototype v0.20 released

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.

• A couple more minor issues to note:

* When casting a spell with multiple targets, if you use the slider to increase your mana boost and then afterwards change your spell targets, the mana boost is reduced to zero but the slider stays wherever you put it. So you need to move the slider again to get back to the mana boost you want.

* Some powerful creatures (eg Hydra, Dragons) give you 10 mana when cast as illusions, so it's hard to imagine many situations where you'd ever burn these cards unless you were desperate to get out something real. (Aside: In any case, given that we use mana to boost spells, it seems a bit weird to be given mana for casting spells, especially for casting illusions).
    Tess
    GOD

• One thing I don't like (although I don't think it qualifies as a bug) is that at the start of the animation where you deal or receive a killing blow all your cards disappear, so you automatically know the game is going to end then and there. I'm not sure it happens every time or just when it's the last remaining wizard getting killed, but I think it takes away the suspense.
    Who's that riding across the plain?
    Who's lost count of the foes he's slain?
    Who's the man who's plumb insane?
    Kahangriel! Kahangriel! Kahangriel!
    Kahangriel
    GOD

• Kahangriel wrote:One thing I don't like (although I don't think it qualifies as a bug) is that at the start of the animation where you deal or receive a killing blow all your cards disappear, so you automatically know the game is going to end then and there. I'm not sure it happens every time or just when it's the last remaining wizard getting killed, but I think it takes away the suspense.

I think they should take an example from Dictator on the Speccy. Can't find a video of this happening (odd because it's incredibly common), but:

[BLACK SCREEN]
    "ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT by one of the ARMY"
    [RISING PITCH TONE]
    [COMPLETELY BLANK BLACK SCREEN]
    [SHORT PAUSE]
    [MACHINE GUN SOUNDS]
    [LONG PAUSE]
    "You're dead!"
    [FUNERAL THEME PLAYS]

If anything, rather than immediately revealing whether the wizard dies as soon as the attack starts, it needs to be longer and more dramatic.

Given it's in 3D with fairly high-quality models, it would be cool to see something like a slow-mo zoom in of the attack when your wizard might be about to be killed, prolonging the result for as long as agonisingly possible. :D
    Image Ace of Spades
    (my latest Dragon Coins rare creature)
    XBL | YT
    2D or 3D artists, translators needed!
    DigitalDuck

• Kahangriel wrote:One thing I don't like (although I don't think it qualifies as a bug) is that at the start of the animation where you deal or receive a killing blow all your cards disappear, so you automatically know the game is going to end then and there. I'm not sure it happens every time or just when it's the last remaining wizard getting killed, but I think it takes away the suspense.

There are quite a few timing issues with effects at the moment. For example when casting a magic attack spell I don't want to see the result immediately as the spell effect starts. I want the effects to tell the story before any text appears saying "spell failed" etc. But it's early days and I'm sure that sort of placeholder stuff will be tidied up.
    Tess
    GOD

• Tess wrote:Nothing could ever beat the gloriously visceral effect in original Chaos when a wizard dies!

True, but some more suspense wouldn't hurt. :D
    Image Ace of Spades
    (my latest Dragon Coins rare creature)
    XBL | YT
    2D or 3D artists, translators needed!
    DigitalDuck

• Tess wrote:Nothing could ever beat the gloriously visceral effect in original Chaos when a wizard dies!

Yes please! I'd love to see something like the original Technicolor wizard explosion! That and Manic Miner are my favourite game deaths:)
    RafiRomero

Previous

Return to Gameplay Discussion

Information