v0.20 - Owner markers - the good, the bad and the ugly

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Julian Gollop
Site Admin

v0.20 - Owner markers - the good, the bad and the ugly

Post by Julian Gollop » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:17 pm

The circular markers used to indicate the controlling wizard, and whether a creature can still do something, have been replaced by more ethereal, glowing designs.

Does it look better?
Are they clear enough?
What are the alternatives?

RafiRomero

Re: v0.20 - Owner markers - the good, the bad and the ugly

Post by RafiRomero » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:24 pm

I preferred the old display to look at. Aside from that, I feel like the spinning vortex looks like an in-game effect (e.g., a buff or debuff that the creatures on the board can see), whereas the old spinning circle was clearly UI assistance for the player.

Beamster
GOD

Post by Beamster » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:47 pm

I also preferred the previous creature markers because they were clearer and easier to see.
Fiat lux

SteamID: Beamster72

Incarnadine

Post by Incarnadine » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:56 pm

fully understand the criticism i have heard on this but i like it perhaps it needs to be added to could the creatures that have actions to take appear brighter or have some ethereal pillar of light shining over them or pulsing around them it could be influenced by the colour of the wizard red green blue etc perhaps they could stop moving once they have completed their actions or there could be a cycle through active creatures key or on screen button.

also when you put cursor over a creature it could flash up info eg.

manticore
incarnadine
law 5 (the orientation of the realm at time of casting)
PRETENAMA

Ped209

Post by Ped209 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:10 pm

I like the look of them. At first I found it a little tricky to see which creatures belonged to which wizard (4 player in particular) but I've not had an issue when playing on a larger monitor.

I have missed a few goes from not realising it was my glowy things that were spinning faster, the pillar of light idea is quite nice for creatures that can still move

Pillars of light sample:
[url]apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/0603/pillars_tape.jpg[/url]

I think one of the key changes is that they all spin all the time now, where before only the active ones spin, so it isn't immediately obvious at a glance. If they had a stationary glow and a spinning one that could work instead of the pillars too.

a button/key to cycle through creatures with moves remaining would be nice, maybe an icon to say 'done' if you don't want to remove a creature from your cycle that could still move.

how will they work with the backer aura's?

so:

1) I think they look better
2) I don't think they are currently clear enough to distinguish active pieces
3) Pillar of light/static (or non spinning) for inactive pieces/alternate displays (a button to cycle between the old rings or the new glows) might help for anyone that has any 'accessibility problems' (don't know if the new style would be more problematic).
Chaos Reborn Community/Tournament Website: http://www.lawandchaos.co.uk

Tess
GOD

Post by Tess » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:20 pm

Ped209 wrote:1) I think they look better
2) I don't think they are currently clear enough to distinguish active pieces
3) Pillar of light/static (or non spinning) for inactive pieces/alternate displays (a button to cycle between the old rings or the new glows) might help for anyone that has any 'accessibility problems' (don't know if the new style would be more problematic).

+1

goldendragon76

Post by goldendragon76 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:36 am

My first impression was that I liked the effect but it was not clear enough what was being highlighted as your creature, what could still move, etc.
It is okay now that I am more used to it but the previous marker was definitely clearer.

NoWorries
GOD

Post by NoWorries » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:06 pm

I like some and dislike others. There are some that seem to rotate as clear shapes at the base of creatures. And there are others, e.g., the more ethereal puffs, which actually seem to blur the creature icons a bit. Less is more. Crisp is better. Blurry is bad.

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:13 am

Similar to others above, I like the design, but I'm having trouble seeing which creatures belong to which wizard. (I had a hell hound subverted whilst I was afk the other night and didn't realise until I tried to move it.)

Is it possible to keep that graphic but make the colours more vivid?

Another handy tool might be to make creatures flash when you press the number key of that wizard (It always helped out in the old chaos).

Or how about adding the 'wizards name' to the creature name when you click on it? i.e. 'Spite and Malice's Dwarf'.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

RafiRomero

Post by RafiRomero » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:15 am

SpiteAndMalice wrote:Or how about adding the 'wizards name' to the creature name when you click on it? i.e. 'Spite and Malice's Dwarf'.

In original Chaos I used to name my wizard "Smelly" so it would display "Smelly Goblin".
I've played quite a few more games now, and I still prefer the original markers: it was immediately clear which creatures were mine, and which still had moves, and the markers were distinct from the environment.