v0.20 - Magic Power - the good, the bad and the ugly

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.

• 'Magic Resistance' has now been replaced by 'Magic Power'. While it still functions as magic resistance did before, it is now used to modify the power of some spells. At the moment this affects three spell types as follows:
    - The attack value of magic bolt is now equal to 5 + magic_power / 2
    - The success probability of subversion is now determined by the forumula (10 + casters_magic_power) / (casters_magic_power + defenders_magic_power + controlling_wizards_magic_power)
    - The success probability of magical attacks is determined by the formula (spell_power + casters_magic_power) / (casters_magic_power + defenders_magic_power + controlling_wizards_magic_power)

This adds a greater role for the stat, plus it makes the arcane robes a more viable alternative to the other bodygear types.

Does this add anything interesting to the game?
    Is it intuitive?
    What are the alternatives?
    Julian Gollop
    Site Admin

• if your wizard has a strong attack it has a higher chance of killing a creature than he would were his attack weaker.
    so if a wizard has a higher magic power could this mean he has a higher chance of casting anything than if he had a lower magic power. so arcane robes could = a small % increase in that wizards ability to cast anything.

also arcane robes could be a castable spell like magic sword (which makes you stronger) but the robes once cast would increase your magic power and hence your casting % of all spells
    PRETENAMA
    Incarnadine

• Right now magic attacks are stronger than they have been for a long time. Now I think I probably like arcane robes the most, with the increased library, best bolts and powerful magic attacks/subverts which make up for the weak melee and physical defense. A piece of gear that would buff magic resistance would be useful, especially for heroic wizards.
    ////// T S U R T //////
    /// I ///////////// E ///
    /// N //////////// W //
    //// RECURRENCE //
    Obsilium

• Is there anything that determines how many spells you start with in your hand (as opposed to the deck as a whole?) I've started some games with heroic body gear and had six spells in hand. Another time I had eight or (I think) even nine. Having more spells in hand is a big advantage, even if you've got less spells in total in your deck.
    Tess
    GOD

• Think there needs to be some rebalance. With defense robes versus arcane, my chance at a single magic attack on an eagle was less than 60%. A system similar to the magic bolt might be in order, put a constant and add a variable dependent on magic powers of attacker, creature and defender.
    ////// T S U R T //////
    /// N //////////// W //
    //// RECURRENCE //
    Obsilium

• I don't like how Magic Bolt can be pretty weak now if you start off as a punch-wizard (heroic?). I just had a game where I was a heroic wizard with staff of weapons, which I guess makes sense on paper, but I had no creatures and my bolts were rubbish so I got panned.
    Magic Bolt was always nice for me because it was what it was, I had all the chances to kill in my head before I even looked at the board.
    It might be nice to have some kind of fixed attack value bolt, in addition to the new variable bolt (I think the old game had lightning and bolt?).
    I haven't tried subversion or magical attack yet. I imagine subversion will be fine because you need to get close, so it is a risk.
    I imagine triple magic attack will be pretty brutal, it was a powerful spell before the augment.
    RafiRomero

• for me one of the biggest differences is the magical defence of the blobs cast by a wizard with arcane robes, I think the percentage for magic attacking my way out was something like 43% which makes a big difference. I've not paid close enough attention to subversion/magic attacks % to comment much more on this.

But it makes sense that these things are effected by the relative magic powers of the wizards.

I know what Rafi is saying about the bolt, I've felt the same, but I think it just takes some tactical adjustment, before you pretty much knew that if you had a bolt you had a good chance of a kill, the only thing that changed that was a wizard with a shield (which could easily be seen). Now it is easy to forget/miss which robes your opponent has and can be a nasty surprise when you think you've got a great chance of a kill with a bolt only to find out it's a little of 50%. However in these situations the wizard will probably be more vulnerable to physical attacks from creatures/weapons so it's maybe just a change of mindset away from 'Bolt=kill' to 'Bolt best way to kill some wizards/creatures or weapons best way to kill others'
    Chaos Reborn Community/Tournament Website: http://www.lawandchaos.co.uk
    Ped209

• I wonder if there's a case for having a permanent re-usable spell like magic bolt (but weaker) that your wizard can use at the end of the game once per turn when all other spells have run out. Might prevent those rather flat endings when no one has anything left, or give some hope to wizards who have to sit in a corner on their own while two much more powerful wizards duke it out.
    Tess
    GOD

• Think there is a case for some form of skuttle spell.

Simply put, you can cast a spell that destroys something you have created.

Sure we have all been in a situation where we have used a blob or vine and then found ourselves trapped in by it or on another part of the map so the effects of it are now pointless in terms of affecting the game.

Be nice to be able to cast a spell that would destroy such things and give you back some mana that you can then use for something else. Would stop others taking them out to get the mana/vp. Even extend it to creatures. As again there are lots of times when a creature can be in a place where it is not effective and would take to many turns to be able to be of any use. So you could destroy it and either get mana or get the spell back in your deck. Would open up a lot of new and interesting tactics and game play.
    R Tape loading error, 0:1
    gary
    DEMIGOD

• An issue with Tess' suggestion is that you would never want to give the opposing wizard the first shot, so stalemate is still quite possible. In order to avoid imbalance, it would have to have low power, in which case it would act much like a permanent bow.
    ////// T S U R T //////
    /// N //////////// W //
    //// RECURRENCE //
    Obsilium

Next

Return to Gameplay Discussion

Information