v0.20 - Magic Power - the good, the bad and the ugly

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.

• garyuk wrote:Think there is a case for some form of skuttle spell.

Hmm, I actually quite like having to live with the consequences of what I've done. Especially with blob, although I hate the situation, I love that it happens when I end up being unable to attack an opponent because there is so much of my blob in the way. I feel especially that blob should be exactly like that:)
    I guess it might make sense if you could magic attack or bolt your own stuff: I can see advantages to being able to wall yourself off with vine and then choose to break out; but I kindof prefer having to live with your decisions.

I'm not sure I want a permanent bow for endgame: I think if you run out of spells you should descend into the centre of the arena and settle it Star Trek ToS style, stripped to the waist in a pit of sand (at as long as the wizard models remain all male). Especially, if you've burned a lot of your deck, you should suffer for it, rather than getting a low-grade perma-bow.
    RafiRomero

• yeah, don't like the idea of a mini-bolt being added once you've burnt through all your other spells. If it was to exist it would need to always be there, then it becomes the perma-bow as Obsilium said. Which i don't have a huge problem with. As was stated when the bow was being discussed first time round, the shield and sword both buff an existing ability, the bow is the only weapon that adds one. Personally I would prefer it be a staff ranged attack rather than a spell or bow though and have casting 'Magic Bow' just boost the damage. It could serve as a method for getting rid of undead too.

It seems plausible that with the new method of decks being generated from your staff you could easily end up with no weapons/few magic attacks which against a Staff of Undead (which could easily have 6+ undead + skeleton armies) you might end up with no method of killing them, or certainly run out before you get through them all. A perma-ranged attack that could kill undead would help deal with that. I would be happy with it being weak to start with though.
    Chaos Reborn Community/Tournament Website: http://www.lawandchaos.co.uk
    Ped209

• Regards having no spells left at the end of the game and also casting tangle vine in such a way that you trap yourself; both are down to the wizard in question not thinking ahead.

To which I'd say it's just tough luck. I don't think someone should be given a way out of a hole that they've dug themselves into either through mini bolts or being able to scuttle.

(I've been there myself, surrounded myself with tangle vine, had to sit and watch 5 or 6 turns where I could do nothing but wait. An opponent finally came for me... I blobbed him, I'd kept one back.)

And you definately shouldn't be able to scuttle creatures, what happens when you're opponent is just about to kill that elf which they've chased all over the map and then you just scuttle it? It'd be infuriating.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• SpiteAndMalice wrote:Regards having no spells left at the end of the game and also casting tangle vine in such a way that you trap yourself; both are down to the wizard in question not thinking ahead.

I agree with Spite and Rafi on this one. If a wizard is outmaneuvered, either through poor planning or bad luck, then there should be no easy way to resolve the situation. If you trap yourself with a tangle vine, or if your blob expands to a place that you don't like, or if the creature you cast on turn one has become irrelevant, then you should have to live with the consequences.
    Sephorin, living in service to the Goddess Ariianrhod since April, 1204.
    Sephorin
    GOD

• Life... once given form... wants to live!

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

• NoWorries wrote:Life... once given form... wants to live!

Unfortunately other life (normally cats) wants it to die. ;-)

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• SpiteAndMalice wrote:Regards having no spells left at the end of the game and also casting tangle vine in such a way that you trap yourself; both are down to the wizard in question not thinking ahead.

Malice I had a game in v0.20 where I had partly trap myself with vines to survive 2 more turns than I should've done due to all except the vine failed even MB couldn't hit anything but it was better than another game that day when I got attacked with magic attacks 3 times (lost 6 spells). In both of those cases I had arcane robe but I can't really complain about it but I hate my RNG luck in v0.20.
    Luck is something that gets weird when I'm there

Twitch: Ferolia
    Steam/Skype: joreason (renamed myself Toutai)
    E-mail: the_death_warrior@hotmail.com
    toutai

• Hello, the new usage of magic power is great and really creates a diversity of gameplay style. The arcane robes were awful to get before but are now very favourable with the larger spell deck and magic buffs.

Don't think i can really add more to this discussion as i believe it is something that will prob need balancing until all spells are created, etc.
    ustolemytiger

• Current issue - defender's magic power is inconsequential to the subvert and magic attack formulas, being oftentimes less than a third of the denominator (because wizard magic resistances are high). This helps neutral creatures with their bad magic resistance.

Possible solution: Everywhere you see attacking and controlling wizard, divide it by two.

Other thing to note: Triple attacks use the same formula as single attacks. Shouldn't they be weaker by some constant?
    ////// T S U R T //////
    /// I ///////////// E ///
    /// N //////////// W //
    //// RECURRENCE //
    Obsilium

• Obsilium wrote:Other thing to note: Triple attacks use the same formula as single attacks. Shouldn't they be weaker by some constant?

Why?
    Image Ace of Spades
    (my latest Dragon Coins rare creature)
    XBL | YT
    2D or 3D artists, translators needed!
    DigitalDuck

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Discussion

Information