Spell deck remaining numbers confuse me

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
RafiRomero

Spell deck remaining numbers confuse me

Post by RafiRomero » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:01 am

I see:

SPELL DECK
Remaining: 4
Law: 6
Chaos: 4
(I have 8 spells visible in my hand, 4 chaos, 1 law, 3 neutral)

It looks like I have 4 spells remaining, of which 6 are law and 4 are chaos, which can't be thte case.
Do the bottom two numbers refer to the law/chaos "shift" the remaining spells cause when cast? Or do they encompass the spells that are already visible as well as the hidden ones (which is again confusing, it'd make more sense to me to say "Remaining 4, of which 4 are law, 0 are chaos")?
Or am I being an idiot? It has been a long week:)

Ped209

Re: Spell deck remaining numbers confuse me

Post by Ped209 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:40 am

if you look at the bottom of each card it has a number like 'Chaos 6' or 'Law 3'

I think it's something like an elf is 'Law 3' a sapphire dragon is 'Law 6'

so if I have 3 cards remaining and it says Law 12, Chaos 0. Then I might have 2 sapphire dragons and a neutral spell or a sapphire dragon and 2 elves or 3 unicorns (if they are 4) etc.
Chaos Reborn Community/Tournament Website: http://www.lawandchaos.co.uk

NoWorries
GOD

Post by NoWorries » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:25 pm

Thank you, Ped209, for pointing these facts out. I didn't realize that I was confused until you answered the question... which points to how confusing the current presentation is, depending upon how easily confused you think that I can be. ;)

Tess
GOD

Post by Tess » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:03 pm

The whole concept of spells being "Law 6" etc is a throwback to the original Chaos and probably much more obvious to those of us who played that game. In fact there were even spells called "Law-1" and "Law-2" which were Law 2 and Law 4 respectively, and had the sole result of making the world more lawful in preparation for casting other spells. No doubt these will appear in CR in due course!

Kahangriel
GOD

Post by Kahangriel » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:15 pm

Tess wrote:The whole concept of spells being "Law 6" etc is a throwback to the original Chaos and probably much more obvious to those of us who played that game. In fact there were even spells called "Law-1" and "Law-2" which were Law 2 and Law 4 respectively, and had the sole result of making the world more lawful in preparation for casting other spells. No doubt these will appear in CR in due course!
My brother and I were pretty young when we started playing Chaos, so at first we did not understand the thing with alignments. It was a while later when we figured you could make the environment more lawful by casting weaker law creatures, which in turn would make it easier to cast golden dragons later on. As such, during our period of ignorance we didn't know what the law-1/chaos-2 spells were for, so we would only cast them after we had used up all other spells.

We were young and foolish then.
Who's that riding across the plain?
Who's lost count of the foes he's slain?
Who's the man who's plumb insane?
Kahangriel! Kahangriel! Kahangriel!

goldendragon76

Post by goldendragon76 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:39 pm

The A.I wizards used to cast them at the end of the game as well so I don't think they understood the law/chaos balance either!
You probably just copied what they were doing and assumed that was good play.

worto03

Post by worto03 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:03 pm

Thanks Ped - I've been trying to work that out too and I played the original chaos a gazimillion (that is a number isn't it?) times!

RafiRomero

Post by RafiRomero » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:39 pm

Ped209 wrote:if you look at the bottom of each card it has a number like 'Chaos 6' or 'Law 3'

I think it's something like an elf is 'Law 3' a sapphire dragon is 'Law 6'

so if I have 3 cards remaining and it says Law 12, Chaos 0. Then I might have 2 sapphire dragons and a neutral spell or a sapphire dragon and 2 elves or 3 unicorns (if they are 4) etc.
That was my guess too, but I think the way it is worded is confusing.
You have 3 lines, each displaying a number.
The first line displays a card count, the other two lines display "spell bias score" (rather than a count: putting a count on the first line implies a count on the remaining lines).