How will dead bodies work?

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
goldendragon76

How will dead bodies work?

Post by goldendragon76 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Quite a few of the creatures have their death animation now and look ready to leave a dead body behind ready for the 'Raise Dead' spell and I was wondering how this will be implemented in Chaos Reborn.

In Chaos you always had dead bodies littering the battlefield but they never got in the way of the action as they could simply be walked over and this was shown graphically by the dead creature being replaced by the creature walking over it.
Gamers today will probably expect something better than this though. Watching a rat walking onto a hex occupied by the body of a dead giant and having the giant temporarily vanish would look a bit rubbish. Surely though there would be too many different animations to code to show every combination of creature climbing onto the dead body of every other creature.

The alternative would be to have dead bodies as an obstacle that have to be walked around. I'm not keen on this idea as I think they would really get in the way once a few of them start to fill the battlefield. You would have situations where wizards would be completely trapped behind a barrier of impassable dead bodies as the creatures around them are killed. Plus for realism not every creature would block every other creature. A dwarf would probably not be able to walk over the body of a dead giant but a giant would be able to walk over the body of a dead goblin and an eagle would be able to fly over a dead giant and everything would be able to walk over a dead rat, etc.
Having this amount of realism though would really complicate things as there would be so many rules for what creatures can walk over what dead bodies. It would be simpler and better to just say bodies of all creatures can be walked over by everything or all bodies are obstacles to everything.
What do you think would work best?

Kahangriel
GOD

Re: How will dead bodies work?

Post by Kahangriel » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:57 pm

I think the only way to do it is like it was in Chaos, with the living creature completing obscuring the dead one like the latter wasn't even there. Otherwise it would be too complicated.

By the way, in Chaos you could only have one dead body per square. For instance, if a giant rat died on the same square where the body of a golden dragon was, the body of the golden dragon would be replaced by the body of the giant rat. That meant that the golden dragon could never be raised from the dead. I think that in Chaos Reborn it would be better to do like in Laser Squad, where the same square could hold several bodies and other stuff, and when standing on that square you could select which body or item to pick up.
Who's that riding across the plain?
Who's lost count of the foes he's slain?
Who's the man who's plumb insane?
Kahangriel! Kahangriel! Kahangriel!

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:31 pm

Aye, I like the ease of just replacing the dead body by whatever is standing on it, in effect you can't raise dead on a body which is at an occupied tile so why show it?

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:26 pm

SpiteAndMalice wrote:Aye, I like the ease of just replacing the dead body by whatever is standing on it, in effect you can't raise dead on a body which is at an occupied tile so why show it?
By not showing it, you're obscuring information that should be available to everyone - the fact is there is a dead body on that square; if it's one of your creatures standing on it you could move it and then raise the creature, but without that knowledge you might not move your creature.

You could shrink the dead body where necessary (a dead giant isn't going to fit on one hex) so that it doesn't hinder or obscure live creatures, and have your excuse be "creatures born from magic shrink when they die".

Alternatively, show an icon on the hex containing a dead creature that can be viewed in some way to reveal what creature(s) have died there. However it's done, there needs to be some visual representation.
Image Ace of Spades
(my latest Dragon Coins rare creature)
XBL | YT
2D or 3D artists, translators needed!

Tess
GOD

Post by Tess » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:30 am

Yes, very curious to see how that game mechanic is achieved. My guess was that Julian would have the dead creature shrink while going through dying animation so as not to take up so much space, and perhaps they'll become slightly transparent so they don't distract too much, but it remains to be seen whether that will still cause weird visual glitches as the models of living creatures stand on or overlap those of the dead. Still, I'd rather see this 'realistic' approach than icons used to represent dead creatures.

Ped209

Post by Ped209 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:32 pm

How about when a creature dies the animation has it go quicksand style into the ground and a grave then slide up. Hovering over the grave would display text for what is buried there.

Or animation turns the creature to ash and a glowing urn appears.

Or creature sinks into the ground and a glowing glyph appears.
Chaos Reborn Community/Tournament Website: http://www.lawandchaos.co.uk

NoWorries
GOD

Post by NoWorries » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:09 pm

Ped209 wrote:How about when a creature dies the animation has it go quicksand style into the ground and a grave then slide up. Hovering over the grave would display text for what is buried there.

I like these solutions, or something like them. The match arena is getting busy enough as it is. If dead bodies are to be part of a game mechanic, then anything that keeps the board from getting cluttered and confusing is a good thing.

Sephorin
GOD

Post by Sephorin » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:21 pm

NoWorries wrote: I like these solutions, or something like them. The match arena is getting busy enough as it is. If dead bodies are to be part of a game mechanic, then anything that keeps the board from getting cluttered and confusing is a good thing.
I agree. Good idea, Ped.
Sephorin, living in service to the Goddess Ariianrhod since April, 1204.

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:28 pm

Ped209 wrote:How about when a creature dies the animation has it go quicksand style into the ground and a grave then slide up. Hovering over the grave would display text for what is buried there.

These are basically what I meant by "an icon", especially the last one. I like the idea of a grave/urn, but I think they'd get in the way just as much as a dead body would.
Image Ace of Spades
(my latest Dragon Coins rare creature)
XBL | YT
2D or 3D artists, translators needed!

Sephorin
GOD

Post by Sephorin » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:27 pm

DigitalDuck wrote:These are basically what I meant by "an icon", especially the last one. I like the idea of a grave/urn, but I think they'd get in the way just as much as a dead body would.
Perhaps a small 2-D glyph that does not glow in one corner of the hex? When someone casts Raise Dead and is deciding what hex to target, the glyphs could expand to fill the entire hex. When moused over they could display the creature entombed there.

Alternatively, we could eliminate any kind of dead body or marker all together. The marker or dead body would only become visible when someone casts the Raise Dead spell and is selecting a hex to target. Presumably, you could not target a hex occupied by a living creature, so with this system there would never be any overlap between a living creature and a dead creature/symbol.
Sephorin, living in service to the Goddess Ariianrhod since April, 1204.