Realism vs Fun

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:51 pm

• I've seen a couple of times in discussions that a suggestion is made that it's appropriate for a certain thing to happen because it's realistic. A good recent example is the retreat mechanic where it is realistic for a more agile creature to be able to retreat from a less agile one.

The thing I want to ask people is though; do you feel that you need the game to be realistic in order for it to be fun?

Personally I'm suspending my need for realism at the point that I accept that a giant is attacking an eagle in the first place, to which I'm a lot more in the just make it 'fun' camp. I don't therefore see realism as a factor in whether something should be in the game or not. (I'd actually say that in game chat is my favourite feature so far).

I'd be interested in what everyone else thinks... do you have a preference? Does one take away from the other for you? Or do you think that realism and fun work together?

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:55 pm

• Chess. An ancient game, which endures. Realistic? Eh, not really. Simple? Yes! Elegant? Yes! Complex? Hell, yes.

Should Chaos Reborn be chess? Nah, we need only one chess. But what about Holographic Wizard Battle Chess....?

Anyway, great points, SpiteAndMalice! Thank you for starting this thread.

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux

Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:39 am

• As far as I'm concerned, games should be fun first and realistic never.

Well, it can conform to some expectations (I expect that if a giant throws a massive rock at a rat, it's probably not going to survive), but...

I'd rather play as an anthropomorphic blue hedgehog that can jump 2.5 times his own height speeding through a vibrant fantasy world smashing robots than a community service worker sludging through the local park picking up dog mess.

I'd rather drive a car at 800mph on walls and ceilings firing missiles at other cars than sit in traffic on the M4.

I'd rather be a cat that can control time than an accountant that can control finances.

You get the idea. :mrgreen:
    Image Ace of Spades
    (my latest Dragon Coins rare creature)
    XBL | YT
    2D or 3D artists, translators needed!

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:50 am

• I too am not bothered about realism, most of the comments I've made about the realism of certain aspects have been in response to concerns that other people have raised about realism not necessarily my own.

However I do think that things should make sense. If things make sense the easier and quicker it will be for people to pickup and learn the game.

For example I would expect a dragon to have a much higher attack than the rat. Not because it's realistic as such but because if it didn't then I'd have to look at every single creatures stats to figure out what the hell is going on and that would be time consuming and not fun.
    Chaos Reborn Community/Tournament Website:

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:45 pm

• The fun factor should definitely come first, especially in a game like Chaos. However, I do feel that games should conform to their own "internal logic." That is, whatever sort of fantasy "realism" a game creates, it should work to consistently remain within that framework.
    Sephorin, living in service to the Goddess Ariianrhod since April, 1204.

Return to Gameplay Discussion